Resident Evil 2

Fair enough, the thing is with RE4, you can finish sub 1.5 hours, like you can the originals, its just that its filled with so much to do that it feels overwhelming. I take my time with it and looking forward to halloween to play it. The same goes for all the RE games except 6.
That’s world record pace lol. And it’s not even that there’s a lot to do it’s just that you’re moving from one massive firefight to the next, especially in the later half of the game. It gets exhausting for me and I can’t sit down and play it one sitting for that reason. I love the tension that’s there in the village. You’re only armed with a handgun and a knife. It makes the villagers feel like a real threat, especially when Dr. Salvador comes in with his chainsaw. Those moments are incredible. But when you become a walking battle station it loses almost all of that so the solution is just to throw even more enemies at you or give them body armor.

Like I said, love the game still but I just view it very differently than what I consider to be the pure RE experience.

Saw this is gonna be $14.99 on Black Friday, so I'll finally dip the toes into the Resident Evil franchise.

Saw this is gonna be $14.99 on Black Friday, so I'll finally dip the toes into the Resident Evil franchise.

It's a good one to start with. Modern/great graphics, modern gameplay and you don't need to know anything about the first game. Only issue is if you do like it, it's going to be hard to go back and play the earlier ones. Even the remaster of RE1 is rough. RE4, 5 and 6 hold up well but they have a very different tone.

I'd say go straight to RE7 if you like RE2. It's an FPS but it has the same tone and is another good stand-alone entry.

Who's selling it for that price? Definitely pick it up at that deal.

It's a good one to start with. Modern/great graphics, modern gameplay and you don't need to know anything about the first game. Only issue is if you do like it, it's going to be hard to go back and play the earlier ones. Even the remaster of RE1 is rough. RE4, 5 and 6 hold up well but they have a very different tone.

I'd say go straight to RE7 if you like RE2. It's an FPS but it has the same tone and is another good stand-alone entry.

Holy crap, this makes a whole lot of sense RE7/Remake 2 really appeal to the modern gamer, whilst also retaining the survival horror. I dont think newbies have patience for REmake or the earlier titles event though I think the spencer mansion is probably the best area in the wholse series and its from RE1/Remake. I also dont think REmake experience is complete without playing the first game, you'd appreciate it alot more, and it also plays with your expectations since you played the first and throws spanners.

Id say for a newbie to do the series in this order.

Play REmake 2, then 7, RE4, Revelations 2, RE5, RE6.

But Id honestly say without playing the originals, and Remake -> you havent played true RE. There are also a bunch of games in the middle, which I havent played but own, like the darkside chronicles etc.

Has anyone played this game?

I'm stuck at the part where Mr X shows up and this fucking prick won't let me do anything. The moment I leave a safe room his footsteps are on me and I'm not even fucking moving. He's just glued to me in some stupid broken mechanic.

Very frustrating experience.

resident-evil-2-mr-x.jpg

I am playing it now and I love this game so much. Mr. X was a little irritating at first but I grew to love the idea of it. He's this terrifying menace that you can hear coming for you at all times. It really makes the game even more of a survival horror game even though it was already one of the best in the genre without Mr. X.

I love that the devs had the balls to include him in the game. Such a unique idea.

Picked this up on a PSN holiday sale. Loved the original back in the day, but just haven't gotten around to picking it with my current back log. Took a break from Death Stranding to give this a whirl and absolutely loving it. Feels enough like the original that nostalgia is in effect, but modern enough that it's a new experience.

Legit had a loud audible "GAH!" the other day to the point my kids were asking if I was okay. Playing via remote play on my computer, since its to graphic for my kids to watch on the TV, but still in the same room. Mr. X had shown up for the first time and had my blood pumping while I was running through the station. I had recently shucked him and was trying to outrun, but new he was hot on my heels. Didn't have much of a lead heading into a new area (3rd floor above the waiting area) I had just unlocked. My computer is a few years old, so when using remote play it takes a little bit for the screen to adjust when going from light to dark. Burst through the door and ran head long into a zombie and damn near fell out of my chair when it grabbed me. Good times.

My only complaint is some of the zombies take an absurd amount of head shots to finish off. 1~2 seems pretty standard fair for any sort of zombie game/movie/book. Playing on Standard for my first run as Clair using her revolver and it's common for 2~4 head shots just to drop them. Then I'll shoot again on the ground to make sure they're good and dead, with most of the time they get back up for another go. On average I'm spending 5~7 rounds per zombie. One in particular I had to reload 2x, missing only once when the zombie stumbled as I took the shot. That one was 10+ rounds. That should have left the zombie with a fine meat paste from the neck up.

Picked this up on a PSN holiday sale. Loved the original back in the day, but just haven't gotten around to picking it with my current back log. Took a break from Death Stranding to give this a whirl and absolutely loving it. Feels enough like the original that nostalgia is in effect, but modern enough that it's a new experience.

Legit had a loud audible "GAH!" the other day to the point my kids were asking if I was okay. Playing via remote play on my computer, since its to graphic for my kids to watch on the TV, but still in the same room. Mr. X had shown up for the first time and had my blood pumping while I was running through the station. I had recently shucked him and was trying to outrun, but new he was hot on my heels. Didn't have much of a lead heading into a new area (3rd floor above the waiting area) I had just unlocked. My computer is a few years old, so when using remote play it takes a little bit for the screen to adjust when going from light to dark. Burst through the door and ran head long into a zombie and damn near fell out of my chair when it grabbed me. Good times.

My only complaint is some of the zombies take an absurd amount of head shots to finish off. 1~2 seems pretty standard fair for any sort of zombie game/movie/book. Playing on Standard for my first run as Clair using her revolver and it's common for 2~4 head shots just to drop them. Then I'll shoot again on the ground to make sure they're good and dead, with most of the time they get back up for another go. On average I'm spending 5~7 rounds per zombie. One in particular I had to reload 2x, missing only once when the zombie stumbled as I took the shot. That one was 10+ rounds. That should have left the zombie with a fine meat paste from the neck up.
When they're on the ground it's better to use a knife instead of shooting. I agree that they take so many pistol bullets to kill though lol

Youre meant to figure out that maybe de-limbing them is better, you could cripple them in like 2 shots, and maybe use a headshot to stun and run around.

When they're on the ground it's better to use a knife instead of shooting. I agree that they take so many pistol bullets to kill though lol
Ive always played RE like that, once theyre on the ground, go crazy with the knife. Thats why I love RE4, and RE5 had that stomp feature.

Id say for a newbie to do the series in this order.

Play REmake 2, then 7, RE4, Revelations 2, RE5, RE6.

I would agree with all except RE6 was pretty awful. 7 was surprising good. Prior to 7 we thought the franchise was dead.

Highly recommend playing RE2 Remake with the ORIGINAL soundtrack enabled. Much more iconic.

I would agree with all except RE6 was pretty awful. 7 was surprising good. Prior to 7 we thought the franchise was dead.
I think RE6 gets a lot of flak, I think its a decent RE game and Leon's campaign is pretty great. Its just got blogged down by a bunch of shit.

Mr X is only annoying if you didn't clear some of the enemies in the hallways, its easiest just to run a loop between an area you know you cleared back to the main hall, if your 2 or 3 rooms ahead of Mr X when he chases you he'll slow down. When you hear the music you know he sees you and is on your ass.

I honestly like Mr X, he adds a lot to the atmosphere. On my first playthrough I was on hardcore so killing the lickers wasn't on the table because of how many bullets they take so I would just get straight up killed in some areas if Mr X found me when I tried to run. And I love that once you've between both campaigns you'll know exactly when Mr X will start following you in the station so you can clear out rooms before you activate him, just like how shit was a lot easier in the OG games once you had an idea where everything is.

I love that they improved the Fourth Survivor mode too. Adding cutscenes and dialogue while making the mode even harder was great. I don't know why but Hunk is one of my favorite characters in RE, so it was great to see how much better this was in the remake compared to the original.

Only thing that I didn't really like in the game was how empty the streets were. It's been over 10 years since I played the originals but I remember the street sections used to be more lively with zombies moaning and unchecked fires going in the background. But RE3 is coming so we'll get to see some more of the streets of Raccoon City. Oh yeah and they got rid of the giant spiders, I kept expecting those hairy bastards to pop up when I was in the sewers for the first time.

He should play RE 6 just so he can see how bad it is compared to the rest of the series and appreciate the rest more lmao

Highly recommend playing RE2 Remake with the ORIGINAL soundtrack enabled. Much more iconic.
I suggest playing it muted, with just the Mansion Basement theme from RE Director's Cut playing on loop on YouTube.

I suggest playing it muted, with just the Mansion Basement theme from RE Director's Cut playing on loop on YouTube.
Alright, I feel like I have to clear this up whenever I see it.

135.png

The Director’s Cut has the original soundtrack. It’s the Dual Shock version that fucked it up. I think the best description I’ve heard for the basement theme was “Zippers and Farts.”

Back