Retaining grappling skills in an area with no grappling?

LODD2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I moved into an area where the nearest BJJ place is around an hour away. Normally that would be ok for a 1-2x a week training session, but I am also working 60+ hour weeks (weekdays 8AM-8PM), so the earliest I can get there is 9PM and all the gyms are closed.

What exercises (weighlifting, working out) do you guys do to maintain grappling shape? I lift a decent amount, but even when I lift for volume, it doesn't imitate grappling intensity.

Hey guys, I moved into an area where the nearest BJJ place is around an hour away. Normally that would be ok for a 1-2x a week training session, but I am also working 60+ hour weeks (weekdays 8AM-8PM), so the earliest I can get there is 9PM and all the gyms are closed.

What exercises (weighlifting, working out) do you guys do to maintain grappling shape? I lift a decent amount, but even when I lift for volume, it doesn't imitate grappling intensity.

Stop working so many hours then?

You can practice rolls, breakfalls, inversion, turn ins, shrimping, et cetera on your own, but there's not really any way to shadow grapple.

Stop working so many hours then?

You can practice rolls, breakfalls, inversion, turn ins, shrimping, et cetera on your own, but there's not really any way to shadow grapple.

I appreciate the comment. As for hours, as much as I like BJJ, I am not good enough to make a career out of it. My job requires me to work those hours.

As for exercises, I was talking about workouts that imitate grappling intensity. For example, I have barely any cardio intensity, like maybe 3-4 miles jogging at most. But for grappling intensity, I can go hard and continuously go hard. I am wondering what exercises imitate that.

I appreciate the comment. As for hours, as much as I like BJJ, I am not good enough to make a career out of it. My job requires me to work those hours.

As for exercises, I was talking about workouts that imitate grappling intensity. For example, I have barely any cardio intensity, like maybe 3-4 miles jogging at most. But for grappling intensity, I can go hard and continuously go hard. I am wondering what exercises imitate that.

Have you looked for Judo clubs in your area? That's the next closest thing to BJJ.

What about wrestling or MMA?

If you definetely moved to an area where you cant practice grappling why dont you try something else instead?
Check out what

If you can't find a local Judo/wrestling club then like some other posters said find another sport in the mean time.

Look for boxing/kickboxing gyms.

And use the opportunity to work on your strength, conditioning, and flexibility.

There's really no way to FULLY retain your ability if you're just plain not going to be doing it. But maybe try and make it out on a weekend once or twice a month for an open mat. And the only thing you're really going to "lose" is your timing, which will come back once you start training again.

Go to your local bar to pick a fight with the biggest guy there.

Jiujitsu skill retained.

Haha thanks for the responses guys.

For wrestling camps, they are generally meant for middle school and high school kids and are very short and are usually during working hours.

For Judo places, there are none, I live in a rather rural area, there's not even a mcdojo karate place in this town or within a 30 minute drive.

I guess I'll check out the S&C section for grappling and try to repeat those exercises.

Get some mats in your garage, break out your old gis and start teaching Jiu Jitsu basics to your neighbors/friends.

After teaching the basics you can proceed to use them as animated grappling dummies with a pulse.

I've had to take some time off due to family / financial reasons (bringing in a full time nanny when my wife switched from three night shifts a week to a mon-fri day job) and I do what I can around the house.

I've got a bob standing bag (body opponent bag) and I'll kickbox that a bit but also do a bit of nogi clinch and throw entries, but most of my home grappling training takes place in the living room.

I've got young kids, my son is just learning to crawl and so he always wants to hang out on the floor. So I do slow controlled backward and forward rolls on the carpet (from sitting), shrimp, invert, pickup children with modified butterfly hooks, etc.

put out a craigslist ad that says "$10 grappling lessons" and teach who shows up.

Back