Social Reverend refuses to baptise baby

confused-mark-wahlberg.gif
Get used to it partner. Have never seen a coherent post from that individual.

This is only shocking because we've become accustomed to Christian churches bending their sense of morals to accommodate as many people as possible since they're hurting for membership. The pastor is technically correct, and if you don't draw the line at teenage pregnancies you're not going to draw the line anywhere. You can't live a life bereft of any code of conduct and expect the church to accept you. The fact the teens decided to go to the media to take vengeance on the church for refusing them is proof the pastor's instincts were correct too; these teens suck. Take your L privately and leave the media out of it.
This is not well thought out. Where in the Bible is it sinful for teens to get pregnant? I’ll answer for you- nowhere. When the Bible was written it was standard for teenager to start pumping out kids. Teen pregnancy is a modern sensibility.

No one is saying that this pastor has to approve of their life choices. Punishing the baby for them is decidedly not A Christian attitude. Not surprising seeing that coming from the south

I think you are assuming that baptism means the same thing for everyone and it just flatly doesn't. There are many different understandings of baptism and you have got to leave room for people to have varying theologies. the only other option I could think of is to assume that you are 100% right in your understanding and that doesn't seem to be a good way to go to me.

It's not just about baptism either it's about what each Church expects to be in place in support of that baptism and there are very good reasons why some Churches would not baptize that child.
Assume away. All your arguing is that different branches of the church make up different shit, which everyone knows. No one should be accepting this spiteful behavior as Christian

This is not well thought out. Where in the Bible is it sinful for teens to get pregnant? I’ll answer for you- nowhere. When the Bible was written it was standard for teenager to start pumping out kids. Teen pregnancy is a modern sensibility.

No one is saying that this pastor has to approve of their life choices. Punishing the baby for them is decidedly not A Christian attitude. Not surprising seeing that coming from the south
The Bible does condemn sex before marriage and most teens at least in America aren't married.

Assume away. All your arguing is that different branches of the church make up different shit, which everyone knows. No one should be accepting this spiteful behavior as Christian
well it isnt spiteful though...... its just the way they organize things at their church. i wonder if these kids complained about the rules before they had a baby out of wedlock? there are requirements for being a christian. a lot is shared in common like no cohabitation without being married or pre marital sex. but some of it like who and when to baptize and what baptism even means to different communities is wildly different.

the fact is the parents can baptize their own baby if they want as any baptized christian can and there are countless churches that would be willing to do so. but this church has some rules in place (before this couple ever came along) and so they are just following their own internal rules.

its really the couple that are being profoundly immature here. baptism is super easy to come by and they could do it themselves but instead they want a church to change its entire way of organizing just so they can get it there.

they are being very immature is all.

I grew up Baptist so I don't know the total theology of the Methodist Church. Baptism is a big deal but obviously if someone converts to Methodist from atheism there still is a path it is not the end being baptized whether a child or an adult
thats why all these people who dont even believe in the ritual anyway are being disingenuous when they claim to care about it. here are the facts.

they are living in a sinful state according to the church they attend and claim to have attended regularly. they are breaking their own rules ffs!

they have not been attending regularly of late.

any baptized christian can baptize their kid including themselves.... nothing is being withheld they cant do on their own.

they have been attending this church for a long time (or so they say) and never complained about this rule til it effected them most likely.

they can go to MANY churches that will baptize their baby anytime.

they are being profoundly immature.

Dumb dumb dumb.

With that out of the way, I can't fault people for acting their conscience. Demanding tolerance is one thing but demanding participation is completely unreasonable. Don't demand a Christian bakery make you a special gay cake, don't demand a Muslim make you a BLT, don't demand a blue haired seamstress make you a MAGA robe. But demand they allow you your choices and opinions.

Seems like the reverend should have talked to the couple about the fornication issue beforehand when he found out about it. I don’t see why he couldn’t have baptized the baby though; I don’t know much about that denominations theology , but that’s just bizarre to me. Why wait now to bring about the issue? He could have baptized the baby then talked to the couple about getting married.

thats why all these people who dont even believe in the ritual anyway are being disingenuous when they claim to care about it. here are the facts.

they are living in a sinful state according to the church they attend and claim to have attended regularly. they are breaking their own rules ffs!

they have not been attending regularly of late.

any baptized christian can baptize their kid including themselves.... nothing is being withheld they cant do on their own.

they have been attending this church for a long time (or so they say) and never complained about this rule til it effected them most likely.

they can go to MANY churches that will baptize their baby anytime.

they are being profoundly immature.
Agreed

God was an authoritarian asshole, every hear of Job? Christians just fall in line.
God didn’t do anything to Job, according to that book. Satan did. And when God showed up and spoke to Job, Job sure didn’t complain to God.

I'm down with the first sentence. I don't dislike at all that I was christened but being given the choice when you know what's going on makes sense. Isn't that 'confirmation'?

Well, scripture says “believe and be baptised”, to it makes sense to me to do it in that order. I don’t think infant baptism makes a whole lot of sense, personally.

I can see why these people would be frustrated that they thought they could get their child baptised and then the reverend reneged, but if they don’t want to live by the tenets of the religion then why is a ceremonial aspect of it important to them?

I don't understand the baptizing a baby but I respect if sone religions do it.

The preacher is the leader of that church so he has most of the say in something like this.

It's stupid to try and force him to do this. If the majority of the church congregation doesn't agree the can look to have him removed.

God didn’t do anything to Job, according to that book. Satan did. And when God showed up and spoke to Job, Job sure didn’t complain to God.
Come on now. God gives Satan the green light to torment and punish him to prove his loyalty. An of course Job wouldn’t complain, in the end he was rewarded for it. The lesson here only supports what I said.

Dumb dumb dumb.

With that out of the way, I can't fault people for acting their conscience. Demanding tolerance is one thing but demanding participation is completely unreasonable. Don't demand a Christian bakery make you a special gay cake, don't demand a Muslim make you a BLT, don't demand a blue haired seamstress make you a MAGA robe. But demand they allow you your choices and opinions.

this is the only take that matters. those kids should go to a church that will welcome them end of story.

check out my sig so you know who i am. i think ive finally found a name i like and will keep.

Come on now. God gives Satan the green light to torment and punish him to prove his loyalty. An of course Job wouldn’t complain, in the end he was rewarded for it. The lesson here only supports what I said.
Job’s lack of complaint precludes his reward, actually. Job had no way of knowing what would come to him after God had spoken to him, whether more suffering or blessing.

Well, scripture says “believe and be baptised”, to it makes sense to me to do it in that order. I don’t think infant baptism makes a whole lot of sense, personally.

I can see why these people would be frustrated that they thought they could get their child baptised and then the reverend reneged, but if they don’t want to live by the tenets of the religion then why is a ceremonial aspect of it important to them?
Because they, in their minds, want the best for their child. I was corrected earlier and apparently getting your child christened is just a ritual for parents so who knows.

This is only shocking because we've become accustomed to Christian churches bending their sense of morals to accommodate as many people as possible since they're hurting for membership. The pastor is technically correct, and if you don't draw the line at teenage pregnancies you're not going to draw the line anywhere. You can't live a life bereft of any code of conduct and expect the church to accept you. The fact the teens decided to go to the media to take vengeance on the church for refusing them is proof the pastor's instincts were correct too; these teens suck. Take your L privately and leave the media out of it.

I don't think the baby was a pregnant teen

Back