Revisiting the "World Class" Wrestler Label

I think Josh Koscheck is borderline world class. I get that he had great success in folkstyle but it's hard for me to call someone WORLD class with just success in folkstyle. He probably could have gone on to do well in freestyle but he didn't so I find it hard to play the what if game.

The names from your original list that I do not think are world class are Frank Trigg and Matt Hughes. Also I saw that later you wanted to add Kamaru Usman and I don't think the University freestyle tournaments are as competitive but I might be wrong on that.

A name I would add though would be Deron Winn.
Trigg was actually more impressive In freestyle than he was in college. Aside from defeating a bunch of really solid wrestlers domestically he has quite a few big wins internationally as well. Namely a silver medal at the Dave Schultz International losing in the finals to Olympic champion Brandon slay.

Alright I am ready to get a new list of World Class wrestlers in MMA going. I am only counting Greco and Freestyle success right now

Daniel Cormier
Ben Askren
Henry Cejudo
Yoel Romero
Rulon Gardner
Mark Coleman
Kevin Jackson
Mark Schultz
Mark Kerr
Dan Severn
Matt Lindland
Dan Henderson
Randy Couture
Steve Mocco
Cole Konrad
Joe Warren
Shawn Bunch
Darrion Caldwell
Ed Ruth
Bubba Jenkins
King Mo
Royce Alger

I know I am missing some and I am not good with some of the foreign wrestlers and non US MMA promotions.
Arent all these guys on my original list? Including Deron Winn.

Trigg was actually more impressive In freestyle than he was in college. Aside from defeating a bunch of really solid wrestlers domestically he has quite a few big wins internationally as well. Namely a silver medal at the Dave Schultz International losing in the finals to Olympic champion Brandon slay.

I didn't know anything about Trigg's freestyle career and those are some good accomplishments but I would still argue that he is not world class. Having some wins over good people isn't enough to be considered world class, the same goes for Koscheck. They are still very good wrestlers and had better careers than a lot of wrestlers in MMA but I don't want to water down the term world class too much. Maybe I am just being too strict.

Arent all these guys on my original list? Including Deron Winn.

I'm sorry I didn't see Deron Winn in your original post, that's my mistake. All of those guys were on your list but the purpose of my list was to restart with a bare bones list of people everyone would consider world class without argument. And then in this thread we can start arguing and adding in other people as we see fit. The point was to have a baseline and then we can discuss others.

I hope you don't see this as any attack on you or your thoughts. I know it can be hard to have a civil discussion on the internet sometimes. I will also admit I am relatively new to being an amateur wrestling fan but I love learning about it and discussing it online since no one I know in real life would care about this at all.

If you have the data/background information to know 'people successful in D1 competition frequently go on to success in international competition as well should they choose', then you can reasonably say something like 'a wrestler that places all-american is world class'.

If you are more or less unfamiliar with the subject however, then it is reasonable to be conservative and only call wrestlers with demonstrated success in international competition 'world class', in order to be less wrong.

I know a lot of NCAA champions go on to have success in international competitions and a lot of wrestlers who never won a NCAA championship also have success but I also don't want to water down the term world class and throw it around too casually. That is why I feel it is a little better to start with a smaller indisputable list and then build it up from there as we discuss others.

Calling every All-American world class seems a little too liberal for me. I think a decent criteria would be top 10 in the world. Maybe top 15. But like I said earlier maybe I am being too strict with the term.

I am also not trying to be "less wrong". I am not trying to win some internet argument and I am sorry if it came off that way. I am relatively new to being a fan of amateur wrestling and just enjoy talking about it with other fans. I have already learned things in this thread and have enjoyed the discussion.

I don't think we can possibly tell how good a wrestler Khabib is. He dominates DIII and Juco wrestlers in MMA that would make him seem to be at the very least, a very good DI level wrestler. I don't really understand Kabibs style though, since watching it, his ground control makes hm seem like a US collegiate wrestler, but that isn't his background. I don't get Sambo.

He trains combat sambo which has ground and pound. The human body only grapples in so many ways. There will be some crossover.

I didn't know anything about Trigg's freestyle career and those are some good accomplishments but I would still argue that he is not world class. Having some wins over good people isn't enough to be considered world class, the same goes for Koscheck. They are still very good wrestlers and had better careers than a lot of wrestlers in MMA but I don't want to water down the term world class too much. Maybe I am just being too strict.

I'm sorry I didn't see Deron Winn in your original post, that's my mistake. All of those guys were on your list but the purpose of my list was to restart with a bare bones list of people everyone would consider world class without argument. And then in this thread we can start arguing and adding in other people as we see fit. The point was to have a baseline and then we can discuss others.

I hope you don't see this as any attack on you or your thoughts. I know it can be hard to have a civil discussion on the internet sometimes. I will also admit I am relatively new to being an amateur wrestling fan but I love learning about it and discussing it online since no one I know in real life would care about this at all.
By all means bro, its all good. I think you're being a little hard on Trigg. Taking silver at a legitimate international tournament losing only to a guy who won Olympic gold (defeating Saitiev along the way) has got to be viewed as world class in my opinion.

He said the same about hendricks and a few others. Was disgusting imo how free he is with that term
Git's like Hendricks are part of the reason why I think we have to kinda broaden the world class label beyond wrestlers who place well on the world stage. A 4x DI all American, 3x finalist, 2x champ Who dominated his way through multiple freestyle high school national championships, in my opinion, is deserving of the world class label. Similarly with Usman, a DII national champ who only started wrestling in high school, who placed at Uni worlds ahead of some very good international wrestlers, and was runner up at a tough Olympic trials qualifier way up at 97 kilos, also deserves consideration. He also has freestyle wins over studs like undefeated DI national champs like JP O'Connor. Food for thought.

By all means bro, its all good. I think you're being a little hard on Trigg. Taking silver at a legitimate international tournament losing only to a guy who won Olympic gold (defeating Saitiev along the way) has got to be viewed as world class in my opinion.

After reading more about Trigg's career (mostly small snippets in old wrestling results websites) I am fine with him being called world class. Sounds like he was 3rd (or 4th?) in the 2000 Olympic trials and 5th in the 2001 WTT. And for Usman I didn't realize he spent two years at the USOTC. I bet he has a good shot at the 2012 olympics if he wasn't injured.

There are some good videos of Usman wrestling leading up to the 2012 olympics.

As far as Hendricks I do agree that he could have made a good run at international competitions. If I remember correctly he pretty much went straight into MMA with Team Takedown?

What kind of criteria do you think should there be for NCAA wrestlers who never did much or any international styles? Multiple NCAA championships? Case by case basis?

I know a lot of NCAA champions go on to have success in international competitions and a lot of wrestlers who never won a NCAA championship also have success but I also don't want to water down the term world class and throw it around too casually. That is why I feel it is a little better to start with a smaller indisputable list and then build it up from there as we discuss others.

Calling every All-American world class seems a little too liberal for me. I think a decent criteria would be top 10 in the world. Maybe top 15. But like I said earlier maybe I am being too strict with the term.

I am also not trying to be "less wrong". I am not trying to win some internet argument and I am sorry if it came off that way. I am relatively new to being a fan of amateur wrestling and just enjoy talking about it with other fans. I have already learned things in this thread and have enjoyed the discussion.

My post there was generally a reply to the OP (since i wasn't quoting anyone), not you specifically if there is any confusion. Also don't mean to imply some sort of posturing there or anything like that; when i say 'less wrong' i mean that in the technical sense of the term, that of meaning to reduce one's risks of saying something off-base, or reducing the degrees to which one's statements may be off-base (sometimes this can mean not saying anything at all even on a given topic). Something we'd all like to endeavor for i think, even if not explicitly conscious of it in such terms.

Now, since you bring you up, lexical sorcery and memeti-sophistical arcana does happen to be an abiding concern of mine, so if the subject is the relative merits of comparative semantic deployments im happy to hold forth.

I do feel that is a rather restrictive usage, perhaps unreasonably so even... since it leaves open certain rhetorical blind spots. Lets explain that thought.

So on the one hand you've got your average guy wrestler who possibly dipped into the sport during their school years and maybe even placed at regionals one year; this term, 'average wrestler', covers a whole lot of people who do wrestling, by definition in fact. On the other hand, we have the top ten, top fifteen guys in the world, the best of the best, the tippy tip top who beat everyone and anyone except each other; here these are termed 'world class'. And then next, the term we use for guys who are much better and more successful than a large number of your 'average' or 'regional' guys, but who are yet not exactly the tippy tip top either is... what? What is the word we will use to describe these people? Who are not 'world class' the way we are using world class here, but who are definitely not 'average' either? These sorts of people exist obviously, so how do we talk about them?

There actually is more or less already a term for 'top umpteen in the world', which is in fact, 'the best of the best'. You could have more than a thousand extremely good wrestlers, the best wrestlers in the world, all very finely matched... yet never the less, however good they may all be in an absolute sense... there can only be one to take the number one slot. One out of however many however close or far the competition may otherwise be. Like wise, there can only be ten top ten, and so on. There being here a whole host of otherwise very good competitors elided outside of that narrow slice. What phrase could you use to refer to such sorts of athletes, who are very good, very good competitors, the sort of guys who can show up to world stages and win matches, the sort of guys who make the world stages what they are, yet never the less lie outside the tyranny of numbers?

I'd say, one phrase as good as any other here would be 'world class'.

Last edited:
I guess it is all relative to how we are assigning these labels. We can all agree that the top whatever in the world that can beat each other on any given day are world class. And that anyone who has wrestled in high school is average compared to someone who is untrained. However I don't think we should be comparing these wrestlers to untrained people or even to high schoolers who never went on.

When people say an NFL player is bad they mean he is bad compared to other NFL players. That bad NFL player is still better than the vast majority of college players and amazing compared to you and I but compared to the best he isn't that good.

So I guess this discussion is hard to have if we are not all on the same page as far as context and relativity. I kind of rambled on and got nowhere. I guess we can call this group below "world class", "really good wrestlers".

And I guess this argument kind of comes through what announcers refer to fighters as in broadcasts. Could Ryan Bader or Colby Covington gone on and placed decently in the World Team Trials? Maybe. But they didn't so I think it would be disingenuous for Joe Rogan (or Mike Goldberg for Bader now) to call them a "world class" wrestler. I think calling them a really good wrestler paints an accurate enough picture.

I never guessed Trigg's wrestling was this good. I don't know how he did against Slay, but that's the best of the best and the Shultz is a high level tournament so yeah, I'd say he qualifies. Can't believe I'm saying that though. Shit, I wouldn't even count Hughes as a world class, but then again, I've never seen him compete against a world class wrestler in a pure wrestling match.

my 2c:

Olympic and/or World Champion speak for themselves.

"World Class" = International level competition success

"Elite" = NCAA champs and maybe finalists, maybe some national or international level competition.

"High Level" = All Americans and solid college wrestlers. Anybody that wrestled in college or can hang with a college wrestler/AA.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Alright I am ready to get a new list of World Class wrestlers in MMA going. I am only counting Greco and Freestyle success right now

Daniel Cormier
Ben Askren
Henry Cejudo
Yoel Romero
Rulon Gardner
Mark Coleman
Kevin Jackson
Mark Schultz
Mark Kerr
Dan Severn
Matt Lindland
Dan Henderson
Randy Couture
Steve Mocco
Cole Konrad
Joe Warren
Shawn Bunch
Darrion Caldwell
Ed Ruth
Bubba Jenkins
King Mo
Royce Alger

I know I am missing some and I am not good with some of the foreign wrestlers and non US MMA promotions.

Add Amir Aliabakari of Iran who fights in Rizin

I realized I forgot a few that are unquestionably world class.

Aaron Pico
Stephen Abbas
Mark Munoz
Mike Van Arsdale

After reading more about Trigg's career (mostly small snippets in old wrestling results websites) I am fine with him being called world class. Sounds like he was 3rd (or 4th?) in the 2000 Olympic trials and 5th in the 2001 WTT. And for Usman I didn't realize he spent two years at the USOTC. I bet he has a good shot at the 2012 olympics if he wasn't injured.

There are some good videos of Usman wrestling leading up to the 2012 olympics.

As far as Hendricks I do agree that he could have made a good run at international competitions. If I remember correctly he pretty much went straight into MMA with Team Takedown?

What kind of criteria do you think should there be for NCAA wrestlers who never did much or any international styles? Multiple NCAA championships? Case by case basis?
For NCAA wrestlers to be considered world class in my opinion a few factors can be considered. 1st and foremost if you win multiple national titles I think you definitely possess the ability to win in international competition. Especially if you won national high school titles in freestyle or greco. I also look at how they won in college. If you relied a lot on riding that's most likely not gonna be as valued as if you won most of your matches with takedowns. I also look at who they beat in college and who the coaches were. If you wrestled at a place like Iowa, OH State, OK State, Penn State, or another place that has a freestyle club, a greco club, and/or an RTC attached then I weigh that heavily. I also look at whether a wrestler was still improving when college ended.

If you've won any matches at the international level you're world class to me.

I never guessed Trigg's wrestling was this good. I don't know how he did against Slay, but that's the best of the best and the Shultz is a high level tournament so yeah, I'd say he qualifies. Can't believe I'm saying that though. Shit, I wouldn't even count Hughes as a world class, but then again, I've never seen him compete against a world class wrestler in a pure wrestling match.
I originally included Hughes bc I'm pretty sure he was one of the few guys to beat Joe Williams in college. I also know Dan Gable held him in high regard. Hughes was also a big move kinda guy that is probably better suited to freestyle.

Last edited:
http://content.themat.com/pages/res...ear=2004&page=sortresults&Submit=Sort+Results

If anyone is bored today with nothing better to do this link has a lot of old US Wrestling tournament results for Greco and Freestyle. Some of the results and brackets aren't in the most user friendly format but there is some good info in there.

Josh Koscheck placed 7th in the 2003 WTT
Gray Maynard had 3 falls in the 2002 Senior Nationals but did not place
Tyron Woodley beat Joe Williams in the 2006 WTT but did not place (This was an old bracket on Trackwrestling)

I think its also a worthwhile addition to this conversation that Terry Brands says that the NCAA DI national championship is the most rigorous grueling tournament in the world.

I think its also a worthwhile addition to this conversation that Terry Brands says that the NCAA DI national championship is the most rigorous grueling tournament in the world.

I think a national level tournament in a country that is a strong wrestling power, like the yarygin or NCAA final, is ironically likely to be even more competitive than most international competitions; since there are more spots open for killers who might not be making the world team for their country, that are not earmarked for teams from other parts of the globe that might not be as strong.

Last edited:

That is a worthwhile addition to the conversation. And there is nothing as grueling as the NCAA D1 wrestling season.
So with that the fighters who won a NCAA championship but never had a ton of international experience are Brock Lesnar, Phil Davis, Koshceck, Kevin Randleman, Jake Rosholt, and Johny Hendricks. You've mentioned that you think Randleman, Koscheck, and Hendricks can be considered world class but what about Lesnar? No real freestyle experience that I know of, one NCAA championship and a runner up to Stephen Neal, but a freak athlete.

Phil Davis and Jake Rosholt have little to none international experience that I know of. Rosholt with three NCAA championships and Davis with one.

Also what about Cain? Won junior freestyle WTT but was an off year with no competition that year (as in the world juniors did not happen). Never won a NCAA championship but lost to Cole Konrad and Greg Wagner two years in a row.

Back