Rewatch Rewatched BJ vs. GSP I

Rockapotomuss

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
2006, three round fight.

BJ's boxing completely dominated GSP on the feet in rounds 1 and 2. GSP had a takedown in round 2 but BJ got back up, and GSP had a nice slam takedown in round 3. Again, BJ got back up. BJ took GSP down in the 3rd and GSP got right back up.

One area GSP dominated was in the leg kicks. He landed a lot, though BJ didn't seem affected.

GSP's face was completely wrecked from BJ's boxing.

Going into the third, it was pretty clearly 2 rounds to 0 for BJ by modern scoring. Joe Rogan says GSP knows he has to do something, meaning it was likely 2 rounds to 0 even by 2006 scoring. GSP landed a takedown in the last minute of the fight, which got a huge crowd pop, and likely stole the judge's cards. BJ went for a crazy omaplota at the end and landed undefended shots to the face, which also got the crowd going.

I would score this 3-0 BJ possibly give GSP the 3rd. There's no way GSP won that fight by any modern standard.

UFC Classic: Georges St-Pierre vs BJ Penn | FREE FIGHT - YouTube

2006, three round fight.

BJ's boxing completely dominated GSP on the feet in rounds 1 and 2. GSP had a takedown in round 2 but BJ got back up, and GSP had a nice slam takedown in round 3. Again, BJ got back up. BJ took GSP down in the 3rd and GSP got right back up.

One area GSP dominated was in the leg kicks. He landed a lot, though BJ didn't seem affected.

Going into the third, it was pretty clearly 2 rounds to 0 for BJ by modern scoring. Joe Rogan says GSP knows he has to do something, meaning it was likely 2 rounds to 0 even by 2006 scoring. GSP landed a takedown in the last minute of the fight, which got a huge crowd pop, and likely stole the judge's cards. BJ went for a crazy omaplota at the end and landed undefended shots to the face, which also got the crowd going.

I would score this 3-0 BJ possibly give GSP the 3rd. There's no way GSP won that fight by any modern standard.

UFC Classic: Georges St-Pierre vs BJ Penn | FREE FIGHT - YouTube
Good thing they fought a second time.

That was the first time I remember GSP actually looking at the clock to see how much time was left. That's he was just trying to not lose. It could've been a draw to tell you the truth, I think GSP just like Matt Hughes didn't take Bj as a serious. Essentially they both looked at him as a a fat LW. The 2nd fight answered who was the better fighter.

This uppercut that landed right on the tip of GSP nose broke it, which is why GSP's face looked wrecked...If I remember correctly. BJ also did a good job with his jab..

8125D8AD-CF57-4C17-9024-7B8AD2290B41.gif

It's pretty strange to see the majority sentiment of dismissal toward Penn from forum members here who apparently are too lazy to actually go back and watch fights from before their introduction to the sport, or too dim to discern the skills in those fights without Dana telling them who he thinks won, or both.

I never actually had any emotional investment in him winning (in fact, I always cheered against him), but his skills were top class. Takedown defense prowess that can't simply be taught, and even if you did get him down, you were done anyway, because he would outgrapple you, and no one really wanted any of those hands.

It was kind of his undoing though.. was way overconfident going into second fight and got wrecked .

Reactions: HHJ
Extreme revisionist history. BJ nicked the tip of GSP's nose in round 1, that's what "wrecked" it; Penn also did a good job with his jab in round 1.

Penn did nothing else in rounds 2 or 3, except do a good job of staying busy off his back in round 3.

The only person in the arena that night who thought BJ won (including BJ himself) was Cecil fucking Peoples lol.

The live scoring they did back then (think it was Eddie Bravo) had it for Georges and so did everyone else.

Baby Jay Penn, despite being one of the worst humans to fight in an organization full of shitty people, has a rabid cultist devotion in these parts that seriously skews how his career is talked about.

Back