Rewatch Rewatched BJ vs. GSP I

That was the first time I remember GSP actually looking at the clock to see how much time was left. That's he was just trying to not lose. It could've been a draw to tell you the truth, I think GSP just like Matt Hughes didn't take Bj as a serious. Essentially they both looked at him as a a fat LW. The 2nd fight answered who was the better cheater.

fixed it for ya

2006, three round fight.

BJ's boxing completely dominated GSP on the feet in rounds 1 and 2. GSP had a takedown in round 2 but BJ got back up, and GSP had a nice slam takedown in round 3. Again, BJ got back up. BJ took GSP down in the 3rd and GSP got right back up.

One area GSP dominated was in the leg kicks. He landed a lot, though BJ didn't seem affected.

GSP's face was completely wrecked from BJ's boxing.

Going into the third, it was pretty clearly 2 rounds to 0 for BJ by modern scoring. Joe Rogan says GSP knows he has to do something, meaning it was likely 2 rounds to 0 even by 2006 scoring. GSP landed a takedown in the last minute of the fight, which got a huge crowd pop, and likely stole the judge's cards. BJ went for a crazy omaplota at the end and landed undefended shots to the face, which also got the crowd going.

I would score this 3-0 BJ possibly give GSP the 3rd. There's no way GSP won that fight by any modern standard.

UFC Classic: Georges St-Pierre vs BJ Penn | FREE FIGHT - YouTube
In another era, this thread would pop up daily, and a massive, harsh Sherbro debate would ensue. PB would show up immediately defending the BJ position. These scoring results have been debated ad nauseum on Sherdog.

No, "modern scoring" would not change it; it was scored with the same or very similar rules.

A few things though:
1) GSP's facial condition was the result of 2 things: an eye-poke, and a nose punch that landed in an usual weigh, resulting in pain and temporary disfigurement.

2) BJ did well with all of that in the first, but no, GSP did not lose any of the remaining 2 rounds; in fact, he NEVER lost a round to BJ after that. GSP won the first fight, and he should have won.

3) The whole thing became a moot point with GSP improving so drastically in their second fight, and making poor BJ cry uncle while sitting tearfully on the stool.

Last edited:
TS confirmed
cecil_medium.jpg

I remember an eye poke on GSP leading to nearly all BJ Penn's offense.
Everyone seems to forget that. That wrecked his eye that night. Very hard to fight like that.

Poor GSP, he has BJ's poke, then Shields literally tries to rip his eyes out.

And he cheated? So?
Vaseline gait is the saddest excuse in the history of MMA. GSP absolutely dominated BJ from the first minute to the last minute of that fight, and that is why BJ quit on the stool. Blaming Vaseline has always been hilarious. GSP dominated and won because he was a much bigger and much better fighter than BJ at that point.

For anyone that thinks that a prime BJ would have beat Khabib I'd ask that they watch BJ vs GSP 1.

If, after that and while being very drunk, they still thought prime BJ would have beat Khabib, I'd ask that they watch BJ vs GSP 2.

Watching either (or both) of those fights should answer the question quite clearly.

I'm fine people giving bj the W.
What's incredible is how GSP adapts to his opponents he's faced and absolutely changes their careers. Ie, Hughes,penn, Serra,kos. Legend

Vaseline gait is the saddest excuse in the history of MMA. GSP absolutely dominated BJ from the first minute to the last minute of that fight, and that is why BJ quit on the stool. Blaming Vaseline has always been hilarious. GSP dominated and won because he was a much bigger and much better fighter than BJ at that point.
GSP admitted getting some man to kiss BJ while he was walking out to throw him off and you can see multiple times when BJ's leg was sliding off GSP's back.

Extreme revisionist history. BJ nicked the tip of GSP's nose in round 1, that's what "wrecked" it; Penn also did a good job with his jab in round 1.

Penn did nothing else in rounds 2 or 3, except do a good job of staying busy off his back in round 3.

The only person in the arena that night who thought BJ won (including BJ himself) was Cecil fucking Peoples lol.

The live scoring they did back then (think it was Eddie Bravo) had it for Georges and so did everyone else.

Baby Jay Penn, despite being one of the worst humans to fight in an organization full of shitty people, has a rabid cultist devotion in these parts that seriously skews how his career is talked about.
Canatrash being Canatrash.

Extreme revisionist history. BJ nicked the tip of GSP's nose in round 1, that's what "wrecked" it; Penn also did a good job with his jab in round 1.

Penn did nothing else in rounds 2 or 3, except do a good job of staying busy off his back in round 3.

The only person in the arena that night who thought BJ won (including BJ himself) was Cecil fucking Peoples lol.

The live scoring they did back then (think it was Eddie Bravo) had it for Georges and so did everyone else.

Baby Jay Penn, despite being one of the worst humans to fight in an organization full of shitty people, has a rabid cultist devotion in these parts that seriously skews how his career is talked about.

upload_2023-1-1_17-10-1.jpeg

GSP admitted getting some man to kiss BJ while he was walking out to throw him off and you can see multiple times when BJ's leg was sliding off GSP's back.
So the Vaseline was more to trigger BJ's homophobic traumatic reaction from the kiss? I never thought of it that way.

That gives a whole new meaning to "Vaseline Gait." LMAO

So the Vaseline was more to trigger BJ's homophobic traumatic reaction from the kiss? I never thought of it that way.

That gives a whole new meaning to "Vaseline Gait." LMAO
What lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Víctor Hugo Teco
Back