• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Rewatch Rewatched BJ vs. GSP I

Noone before your post even slightly dismissed BJ Penns skills though... so you are arguing with who?

I'm not arguing. I'm discussing common precedent on these forums. Go chill out, captain defensive. You seem like you need to self-reflect and drink some tea.

I think GSP got the second round but it close...third was GSPs...first was BJ for sure...

BJ penns hands were sublime and his tdd with his boxing was great and if u got him down he was a problem there too infact i think he tricked alot of guys into thinking grappling was the way to beat him cuz his boxing was so good and then he would tap them out...the issue with facing GSP was that GSP was the better athlete both times which became brutally apparent in the rematch

This fight was in the era where scoring a single takedown meant you won the round. Clear 29-28 for BJ.

Oh I was just musing about the part where the guy kisses BJ, like maybe he had a bigger reaction to it lol
Hahahaha true sorry misread your comment

Didn't realise the connection

4D chess by GSP

Gsp obviously won the last two rounds. Hell, he probably would have won the first round of not for the eye poke

Everyone seems to forget that. That wrecked his eye that night. Very hard to fight like that.

Poor GSP, he has BJ's poke, then Shields literally tries to rip his eyes out.
I don't think they forget; rather, they find it extra easy to ignore because it suits them. 'Twas ever thus.

Vaseline gait is the saddest excuse in the history of MMA. GSP absolutely dominated BJ from the first minute to the last minute of that fight, and that is why BJ quit on the stool. Blaming Vaseline has always been hilarious. GSP dominated and won because he was a much bigger and much better fighter than BJ at that point.

greasing is a huge deal in grappling. Several of gsp opponents said the same thing about him.

greasing is a huge deal in grappling. Several of gsp opponents said the same thing about him.
Yeah, not a big fan of that claim, especially since he totally tooled these guys. Sour grapes.

GSP was a great sport when Penn and Shields tried to poke his eyes out. Worse than any Vaseline ever.

This uppercut that landed right on the tip of GSP nose broke it, which is why GSP's face looked wrecked...If I remember correctly. BJ also did a good job with his jab..

8125D8AD-CF57-4C17-9024-7B8AD2290B41.gif
He also hit him with a thumb in the eye socket that caused a nice cut. Both in Rd. 1 IIRC in a competitive round. Then BJ did nothing for 10 minutes.

You keep saying modern standards, I havent watched the fight in years but you might be right. BUT, this was judged in a time when Octagon control was the first thing you judged a fight on. That wasn’t changed until years later.
Octagon control was never the first thing a fight was judged on. At least, not officially

This fight was in the era where scoring a single takedown meant you won the round. Clear 29-28 for BJ.
If that's the case wouldnt it be 29-28 gsp? Fucking herp derps everywhere

Bj won the rematch too via disqualification for grease cheating.
But what about BJ's eye poking cheat?

lol this imaginary "different judging for that time." No such thing. GSP wins that fight in any era.

aILfyaU.png

Last edited:
GSP is arguably one of the best ever MMA strikers, and BJ tooled him up on the feet in R1.

This fight showed the best (Round 1), and the worst (2 subsequent rounds of steadily gassing and get out worked) of the enigma that is BJ Penn.

I think most rational non-Canadian people would agree that BJ was the more skilled and talented fighter, however GSP is lightyears better in cardio and endurance, which is what allowed him to win the second fight.

Back