• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Rewatch Rewatched BJ vs. GSP I

Nobody here was watching mma during that time period TS, everyone seems to assume whoever sells more and whoever is good on mic deserves title shots. Everyone is too concerned about draw power.

I however have been watching since UFC 1, am I doing it right Sherdog?

2006, three round fight.

BJ's boxing completely dominated GSP on the feet in rounds 1 and 2. GSP had a takedown in round 2 but BJ got back up, and GSP had a nice slam takedown in round 3. Again, BJ got back up. BJ took GSP down in the 3rd and GSP got right back up.

One area GSP dominated was in the leg kicks. He landed a lot, though BJ didn't seem affected.

GSP's face was completely wrecked from BJ's boxing.

Going into the third, it was pretty clearly 2 rounds to 0 for BJ by modern scoring. Joe Rogan says GSP knows he has to do something, meaning it was likely 2 rounds to 0 even by 2006 scoring. GSP landed a takedown in the last minute of the fight, which got a huge crowd pop, and likely stole the judge's cards. BJ went for a crazy omaplota at the end and landed undefended shots to the face, which also got the crowd going.

I would score this 3-0 BJ possibly give GSP the 3rd. There's no way GSP won that fight by any modern standard.

UFC Classic: Georges St-Pierre vs BJ Penn | FREE FIGHT - YouTube

Eye pokes. All that damage was the result of one eye poke. GSP had to go the hospital and he had a cut on the eyeball.

2006, three round fight.

BJ's boxing completely dominated GSP on the feet in rounds 1 and 2. GSP had a takedown in round 2 but BJ got back up, and GSP had a nice slam takedown in round 3. Again, BJ got back up. BJ took GSP down in the 3rd and GSP got right back up.

One area GSP dominated was in the leg kicks. He landed a lot, though BJ didn't seem affected.

Going into the third, it was pretty clearly 2 rounds to 0 for BJ by modern scoring. Joe Rogan says GSP knows he has to do something, meaning it was likely 2 rounds to 0 even by 2006 scoring. GSP landed a takedown in the last minute of the fight, which got a huge crowd pop, and likely stole the judge's cards. BJ went for a crazy omaplota at the end and landed undefended shots to the face, which also got the crowd going.

I would score this 3-0 BJ possibly give GSP the 3rd. There's no way GSP won that fight by any modern standard.

If you're going by damage then BJ won. I had GSP 29-28. BJ won the first round and GSP turned the fight in his favor after that. I would call this semi-motivated BJ since we know that Motivated BJ Penn is an undefeated fighter who is invincible.

I think most rational non-Canadian people would agree that BJ was the more skilled and talented fighter, however GSP is lightyears better in cardio and endurance, which is what allowed him to win the second fight.
lol at your implication that only the irrational and the Canadians disagree with your all-knowing opinion.

What the second fight showed was that GSP > Penn at all of the above. Skill, talent, cardio, and endurance were ALL in GSP's favor. Implying otherwise is silly; that fight is 100% domination in every way. BJ's talent and skill at the time of the first fight might compare well, but not after the second. Crystal clear who was superior after that. GSP kept improving, and BJ didn't.

If you're going by damage then BJ won. I had GSP 29-28. BJ won the first round and GSP turned the fight in his favor after that. I would call this semi-motivated BJ since we know that Motivated BJ Penn is an undefeated fighter who is invincible.
Yep, the unbeatable group:
Old Vitor
Prime Tyson
Motivated Penn
Chuck "with that look in his eye"

I always wonder what happens though if the unbeatable were to fight one another....

Eye pokes. All that damage was the result of one eye poke. GSP had to go the hospital and he had a cut on the eyeball.

I think you’re confusing this fight with the Shields fight.

If that's the case wouldnt it be 29-28 gsp? Fucking herp derps everywhere

The first sentence was a criticism of judging at the time; while the second reflected my opinion on the fight.

I’m sorry that was so difficult to understand that it required an explanation for you, but yes: Herp Derp.

That was the first time I remember GSP actually looking at the clock to see how much time was left. That's he was just trying to not lose. It could've been a draw to tell you the truth, I think GSP just like Matt Hughes didn't take Bj as a serious. Essentially they both looked at him as a a fat LW. The 2nd fight answered who was the better fighter.

penn reportedly barely trained for the rematch. Dana even threatened to fly to Hawaii to meet with BJ over it and BJ threatened to slap Dana in response.

2006, three round fight.

This post is a testament to just how fucking horrible and deluded BJ Penn fans truly are.

BJ was better that night and if you consider the size difference, there is no doubt who was the superior fighter back then.
Georges considers Bj the best fighter he has ever faced because of that night.
GSP kept evolving though, BJ didn't.

Yes there very much is....Hint. It wasn't BJ Penn.

Yes, it was.
Landed the better, squared shots during the first two rounds
Maybe you can lean on stats, where Georges connected some more point strikes...but that's it.
Let alone if we consider the massive size difference in favour of the smaller man. Then it's even obscene to dispute it

I don't remember it going that way at all. I remember BJ winning the 1st and breaking GSPs nose. But rounds 2&3 GSP won. Didn't do a huge amount of damage but still won. It's been a while. So I could do with seeing it again. But it was no robbery

Prime BJ Penn should have wrecked that very green version of GSP, but he wasn't able to because St.Pierre was already a great fighter despite his lack of experience.

Then the second fight happened and Penn was completely dominated, in every single aspects of MMA. He gave up before the final round, the rest is history

Prime BJ Penn should have wrecked that very green version of GSP, but he wasn't able to because St.Pierre was already a great fighter despite his lack of experience.

BJ Penn had about the same amount of experience as GSP in that fight. Actually they had the same number of pro fights.

We are used to see GSP fanboys on sherbro being ridiculously cynical - and ignorant - to downplay other fighters so no surprise here.

In that fight, BJ proved he was incredibly talented as Georges himself often remarks. It happends that he lacked the work ethic to keep evolving while GSP did.

penn reportedly barely trained for the rematch. Dana even threatened to fly to Hawaii to meet with BJ over it and BJ threatened to slap Dana in response.
I remember, it was all over the prime time episodes.

Just proves GSP the better fighter, preparing and sharpening your skills is a fight in itself the actual fight is showcasing it.

I've rewatched GSP vs. Penn 2 several times and each time BJ Penn quit despite saying he would fight to the death...GSP's legend grew and Penn's legend started to decline. However, I would be remiss if I didn't give Penn credit as being an amazing MMA fighter in his prime. One of the all time greats. If he had a better work ethic, he might hav,e been even more successful with a longer period of sustained excellence. GSP was obsessive about working hard and always improving which, is why he had such a long period of dominance despite multiple severe injuries during his career some of which hampered his explosive athleticism.

GSP admitted getting some man to kiss BJ while he was walking out to throw him off and you can see multiple times when BJ's leg was sliding off GSP's back.
Paying someone to kiss him was the greatest troll move in sports history. If the security can't keep a guy from lunging over the railing , through them and planting their lips on a fighter, fair game lol

Is this the one where GSP and his team cheated by greasing up his back and shoulders?

Back