Rico Verhoeven could've done what Pereira did

The problem is that HW has better wrestlers than MW or LHW.
But it could work.
It worked for Gane to a TS, because UFC kept him away from wrestlers.
Does it? I would argue HW is the most light on wrestling of any UFC division.

As far as Rico goes yeah I think he could do well in MMA and actually grappling wise I suspect maybe quite a bit better than Alex, supposedly been training it on the side for years and won his one MMA fight via grappling. Striking wise though I suspect he may not transition as well, I think he's more dependant on the big gloves for defence than Alex personally and doesnt really have that one punch counter game which most of the best kickboxers turned MMA fighters tend to, he has power of course but tends to keep to throw in volume to land it.

As far as Rico goes yeah I think he could do well in MMA and actually grappling wise I suspect maybe quite a bit better than Alex, supposedly been training it on the side for years and won his one MMA fight via grappling. Striking wise though I suspect he may not transition as well, I think he's more dependant on the big gloves for defence than Alex personally and doesnt really have that one punch counter game which most of the best kickboxers turned MMA fighters tend to, he has power of course but tends to keep to throw in volume to land it.

He'd have to drastically change his striking style. But I think he might just be smart and capable enough to do that. But that's a big if. (Not sure that expression works if you didn't say "if" but you get what I am saying.) Though obviously it would have been a lot better if he transitioned earlier. He very might be too old for a drastic overhaul.

His style is a lil too herky jerky for MMA.

I could see him having more success in pro boxing than MMA.

That's like saying Volk Han could have done what Fedor and Khabib did. They're all great sambists so that must mean they could be GOAT level mma fighters, right? There's a bit more that plays into it.

He'd have to drastically change his striking style. But I think he might just be smart and capable enough to do that. But that's a big if. (Not sure that expression works if you didn't say "if" but you get what I am saying.) Though obviously it would have been a lot better if he transitioned earlier. He very might be too old for a drastic overhaul.
I think he'd need to work on distance control a bit more and focusing on landing one off power counters, it would be a bit of a shift but perhaps not THAT much of a shift. Compared to someone like say Remy who was very focused on a high guard defence and picking away Rico does have significantly more raw power just he tends to like to unload on opponents for finishes a lot of the time.

Another way to go might I suspect have been to become a semi grappler, look at his one MMA fight and he actually looked very good there and the modern HW division is pretty weak. I could image a style somewhat akin to Allistairs Uber years using the clinch for defence.

Last edited:
Not every kickboxer is exactly Mark Hunt, Cro Cop, Mo Smith, Overeem, Schilt, Manhoef etc to make a successful MMA career.

Even Pereira's cute little UFC career is still laughable comapred to the names I've just listed.
Pereira has reached higher heights than all nentioned

Not every kickboxer is exactly Mark Hunt, Cro Cop, Mo Smith, Overeem, Schilt, Manhoef etc to make a successful MMA career.

Even Pereira's cute little UFC career is still laughable comapred to the names I've just listed.

Lol bs

Rico fights at heavyweight whereas Pereira has always fought in handicapped divisions where it is easier to get the W.

Gane and Ngannou would be harder fights for Rico in kickboxing than any challengers hes had there in years tbh.

Whether he could do well in MMA? who knows. For HW MMA hes at the higher end of athleticism and obviously technical striking though.

HW: Jon Jones, Aspinall (good ground game + submissions), Blaydes, Almeida, Spivac, Romanov
LHW: Ank and Krylov

Rico cannot make MW or LHW. look at him, he's fucking huge. how could he become a multiple weight champion if he's too big to be anything but a HW?

Pereira's UFC run is better than all the names that you mentioned, "cute little UFC career" <lol><lol>5 and 1 in 6 fights vs champions, two titles in different divisions, championship defenses, active fighter....

and not a single grappler in his run...those other guys fought grapplers.

Lol bs

Rico is a jacked white boy, not sure how he would make MW, but then again..... pererra made mw...........................

This has to be a troll post. The only names you listed with a successful MMA career or Cro Cop and Overeem. Manhoef got KO'd by Joe Schilling ffs.

Back