Right handed punchers who are left legged kickers, a dilemma?

I would not take the righthand>left high kick theory as gospel. Left straight, left high kick (and vice versa right hand right highkick) works just as good if not better because it is more suprising. Look up a Ernesto Hoost highlight, he does it all the time.
It's much more deceptive but harder to generate force.

Wait, let me clarify once again what I was asking.... I'm talking about unmatching leads when it came to favorite/power hand and doesn't match leads with the favorite/power leg. So basically, you are an orthodox right handed power puncher, but your right leg sucks, and your left leg is your power leg. Opposite tools... good right hand, but no good right leg, I consider this a dilemma actually because it could make some fighters confused about their own dexterity. This is just what I think.

Someone said something about attacking with lead hand + lead foot isnt a good strategy, and I generally agree, but that's only if the lead hand/lead foot is your bad side and not your good side. As a result, you get a shitty non coordinated punch with a non coordinated kick.

@Replay19

Tyson didn't really switch stances he had parallel feet, it's hard for the brain to adapt at switching sides, it's way harder than you think, that's why most boxers that try it get KTFO. The more you practice on one side the harder it is to switch to the other side. Try writing with the non dominant hand, there are some people that were forced to write with their non dominant hand , switching for these type of people is way easier, it's really part of how the brain works, left hemisphere controls right hand and vice versa. A fighting stance doesn't require that much of motor control as writing but the switching requires for different parts of the brain to be active to maintain accuracy.

Tyson was a special fighter though. I agree with what you said, he did not switch stances in the sense that most people do. He did it differently, I don't know the specific details but there's a video on youtube by modern martial artist who does a breakdown of how Tyson utilizes stance switching at certain moments to destroy the opponents rhythm, and then KO them in their blind spot. That to me, I consider to be ambidextrous, but very different from average "stance switching" fighters."

This happens because you spend too much time on youtube and sherdog, if you punch w the right you use the momentum from retracting the punch to lunch the left kick forward, the human body is like an X, left lat works with the right buttchick and vice versa, if you try to punch n kick w the right you then have to retract, load and shoot the right leg, that's two more steps. You should take a larger step forward and use the forward momentum of overthrowing the punch to shoot the right leg instead of doing all the extra steps or retracting and loading but it depends on the situation because you can get countered easier.

here another technique is used, the momentum from retracting the right kick is used to move the left foot forward and punch with the right hand like a superman punch, this is like a diagonal punch

L8KYLX.gif

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back