RIP My Sweet Daisy Dog

RIP Daisy

My sincere condolences @Pliny Pete
I know that pain. October will be 2 years since I lost my best friend(1 week shy of his 16th bday), and it still doesn't feel right not having him by my side.
Unconditional love and relentless loyalty. Seems unfair that we dont get them by our sides for longer.

My beloved pooch died over the weekend from old age and I mentioned it in a couple threads and several people reached out to me with condolences which made me realize she was kinda well known around these parts since I talked about her so much so I decided to make a thread for her
She was 3 months away from 12 years old which is the high end of a pittie's life span so she lived a full life and Im thankful for that
She was always smiling, loved meeting new people with her tail wagging a million miles an hour as we went on our morning walks each day
She was a really happy dog and it was her love and joy that helped get me through a really dark and miserable part of my life, she saved me by giving me the strength to keep going
She lived a long life full of doggie treats, bacon double cheeseburgers, hugs and belly rubs, naps in the warm sun and nice long walks and I know she loved me just as much as I loved her
She was my best friend

Daisy Dog
October 23, 2011 - July 22, 2023

View attachment 993074

View attachment 993075

View attachment 993076

View attachment 993077

View attachment 993078

RIP dude, always hurts like hell :(

Sorry for your loss. I know this pain all too well.

Raising a dog from a pup is an amazing experience, but it just sucks knowing that they are on a countdown timer. There is going to be a day when they don't come to the door to greet you, and that really hurts. Then you walk around your home and see all of their toys makes it even worse.

All we can do is love them for as long as we can.

This is what I'm going through right now. Everything in my house from his toys, beds and empty food dishes remind me of him. Every spot in the house has some sort of memory or routine that we would do that I can't help but think of every time I'm in there.

I still open doors slowly and walk around corners slowly to make sure I don't hit him. I roll over in bed gingerly to make sure I don't roll on top of him. Only problem is he isn't there anymore :(

This is what I'm going through right now. Everything in my house from his toys, beds and empty food dishes remind me of him. Every spot in the house has some sort of memory or routine that we would do that I can't help but think of every time I'm in there.

I still open doors slowly and walk around corners slowly to make sure I don't hit him. I roll over in bed gingerly to make sure I don't roll on top of him. Only problem is he isn't there anymore :(

When my 8 year old pug died (from Lyme disease) it hit us very hard. She was very healthy and playful and then one day she was very lethargic and had a fever. We made an appointment for the next day with the vet. I came home early from work to get her ready, and she didn't come to the back door as she usually did. When I walked into the living room, she was convulsing on the floor. It was one of those horror scenes that you hope that you never have to experience. We rushed her to the vet, but it was too late. the doctor said "We don't understand, everything about this dog is so healthy" I asked if they could test her for Lyme (It was an extra $40 for that) and sure enough, they said that she had it and that was what she was dying from. We had her put to sleep after saying one last goodbye. I teared up just now talking about it.

When we came home, it was like we were in another world. My wife and I do not have any children and our pug was our child. The house felt so empty. I told my wife that we need to get another puppy as soon as possible. About a month later we found a breeder in Strausburg, Pa who had a litter of 6 pups. We saw their pics online and went out and met our soon to be new dog Roxxi. We picked her up the following week after she turned 8 weeks.

Roxxi just turned 7, and even though she is perfectly fine and has her Lyme vaccine and gets boosted every fall, I am already starting to get sad because I know that she will not be here forever.

I know people say that you shouldn't run out and get another puppy right away, but it certainly did help us.

Sorry buddy. She looked like an incredibly fun pup. For many of us, our pets are our family. I feel for you.

RIP Sweet Daisy

My condolences Pete. I always loved reading your stories about y’all’s adventures. She will always be a good girl. Never easy losing a dog, they are family with unconditional love for us and that greatness makes the pain so much more. She had a good life, a loving owner and y’all shared so much together.

We just go our huskies ashes back today and it’s been a tough wait. Her 14th birthday is coming up on July 31st so in honor of Mischka and Daisy we’ll grill up some cheeseburgers. We do the best we can and dogs always tend to see our best.

Last edited:
When my 8 year old pug died (from Lyme disease) it hit us very hard. She was very healthy and playful and then one day she was very lethargic and had a fever. We made an appointment for the next day with the vet. I came home early from work to get her ready, and she didn't come to the back door as she usually did. When I walked into the living room, she was convulsing on the floor. It was one of those horror scenes that you hope that you never have to experience. We rushed her to the vet, but it was too late. the doctor said "We don't understand, everything about this dog is so healthy" I asked if they could test her for Lyme (It was an extra $40 for that) and sure enough, they said that she had it and that was what she was dying from. We had her put to sleep after saying one last goodbye. I teared up just now talking about it.

When we came home, it was like we were in another world. My wife and I do not have any children and our pug was our child. The house felt so empty. I told my wife that we need to get another puppy as soon as possible. About a month later we found a breeder in Strausburg, Pa who had a litter of 6 pups. We saw their pics online and went out and met our soon to be new dog Roxxi. We picked her up the following week after she turned 8 weeks.

Roxxi just turned 7, and even though she is perfectly fine and has her Lyme vaccine and gets bolstered every fall, I am already starting to get sad because I know that she will not be here forever.

I know people say that you shouldn't run out and get another puppy right away, but it certainly did help us.

That's awful, especially when you're expecting her to have another 5+ years left. I don't wish that on anyone and I'm sorry you had to go through with it.

Totally understand what you're feeling at home. It quickly goes from a comfortable place of love to the last place you want to be in an instant.

Instead of being sad, just try to include Roxxi in as much as you can. I would take my dog with me to Home Depot sometimes and put a little blanket in the cart and he would lay there and look as happy as could be. I figured it was better than him being at home alone and wishing someone was there with him. All they want to do is hang out and be around us.

We talked a while back about getting another dog after the inevitable was bound to happen with our dog but it's just tough because I feel like we had a once in a lifetime dog. He only made me mad 3 times and that was when we first got him and he was adjusting. Other than that, he didn't do a single thing that was annoying. No excessive barking, zero whining. He just wanted to hang out and be included and was beyond patient as long as he was able to hang out with us. It was like he had a gene that caused him to never want to upset anybody. I've never met another dog that compared, which is part of the reason why I'm taking it so hard because I know he is irreplaceable.

Sorry for derailing Pete. Don't want to take anything away from your situation and your pup.

Back