Rippetoe gives his thoughts on Cain and Junior's S&C and his thoughts on S&C for MMA

Probably unfair, but his stereotypical guido look cracks me up:

ls.jpg

Did he choose a pic of him squatting, dead lifting, benching or anything bad ass on his bio? No, he choose triceps puah downs.

Last edited:
If he can get Cain one-arm INCLINE curling the 150lb dumbbells, I don't see anyone ever being able to stop Cain. That's A-level elite athleticism.

And then Cain be like "brb torn bicep"

Could you post the video if you remember where you seen it. I would like to watch it. I met him at a wrestling tournament a couple years ago and he was an awesome guy.

It was on his facebook page, a promotional vid for 'Cage Fighter' brand or something, it's only like 45 seconds long.

Probably unfair, but his stereotypical guido look cracks me up:

ls.jpg

My favorite part was this
btm_rt_image.png

and this

I first started weight training at age 8 usually training three to five hours a day but sometimes up to 10 hours a day. This went on 7 days a week up to the age of about 45 years old or so where I then experienced a chiropractic neck manipulation that left me partially paralyzed . Even while partially paralyzed, I can still out lift many of the professional athletes I train today, yet my strength is nowhere near what it was prior to my paralysis.

:rolleyes:

LOL this guy needs to work with Dolce, they can talk about how much weight they used to lift.

Came across an interesting video today and remembered this thread. Brad Shoenfeld offers a scientifically based argument against the notion that leg extensions are not functional.

http://youtu.be/qArMOEKyT04

More detailed write up here: http://nicktumminello.com/2011/05/a...t-brad-schoenfeld-has-the-surprising-answers/

Just found it intriguing (always thought leg extensions were only good for hypertrophy), so thought I would share.

Apparently, if your knees are healthy and you are performing them correctly, they are not harmful...maybe even beneficial.

Came across an interesting video today and remembered this thread. Brad Shoenfeld offers a scientifically based argument against the notion that leg extensions are not functional.

He then goes on to point out that many other exercises are far superior. And the term "functional, while commonly used, lacks a concrete definition and is essentially pointless.

http://youtu.be/qArMOEKyT04

More detailed write up here: http://nicktumminello.com/2011/05/a...t-brad-schoenfeld-has-the-surprising-answers/

Just found it intriguing (always thought leg extensions were only good for hypertrophy), so thought I would share.

Primarily. But hypertrophy contributes to peak power output.

Apparently, if your knees are healthy and you are performing them correctly, they are not harmful...maybe even beneficial.

" I also rarely employ leg extensions (or most machines, for that matter) when I train athletes. It just doesn

He then goes on to point out that many other exercises are far superior. And the term "functional, while commonly used, lacks a concrete definition and is essentially pointless.

Primarily. But hypertrophy contributes to peak power output.

" I also rarely employ leg extensions (or most machines, for that matter) when I train athletes. It just doesn

I'm no expert on strength training so would anyone who knows that stuff care to elaborate whether this is a useful exercise and what the pros and cons vs traditional squats are?

http://instagram.com/p/v61ObDIWnS/?modal=true

Zercher squat. Inferior to the regular squat. Can really work the abs and hips (if your stance is wide enough). Of course, getting below parallel helps.

Westside used to do them a bit as a squat/deadlift assistance exercise. I never really got much out of them.

Zercher squat. Inferior to the regular squat. Can really work the abs and hips (if your stance is wide enough). Of course, getting below parallel helps.

Westside used to do them a bit as a squat/deadlift assistance exercise. I never really got much out of them.

So on it's own it can't replace the regular squat (front and back?) but it works abs and hips more so it's (arguably) useful in addition to other exercises?

Russian wrestlers seem to love the shit out of them. I don't think i'd ever do it as an assistance lift for just getting your squat up.

Gotta say after reading this whole thread and being a novice that moving heavy objects through space seems more complicated then anticipated. Either that or the Internet makes it more convoluted then it actually is. Either way the months of SS training don't seem like they will be as rewarding as advertised by the strength training community that I researched.

So on it's own it can't replace the regular squat (front and back?) but it works abs and hips more so it's (arguably) useful in addition to other exercises?

Cannot replace the squat, no. But few things can.

Russian wrestlers seem to love the shit out of them. I don't think i'd ever do it as an assistance lift for just getting your squat up.

I tried it for a while. Got to the point where hanging onto the damn thing became more effort than it was worth. Never really got much out of them, but possibly my build/structure and leverages played a role. Wade Hanna loved both the Zercher squat and deadlift and used them as assistance exercises for quite a while. I seem to recall him writing about this a bit back when the strength online listerv was popular. Checked the archives quickly and did not find anything, but someone may turn up more with a bit more effort than my casual read:

http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/index.htm

Gotta say after reading this whole thread and being a novice that moving heavy objects through space seems more complicated then anticipated. Either that or the Internet makes it more convoluted then it actually is. Either way the months of SS training don't seem like they will be as rewarding as advertised by the strength training community that I researched.

Nah, not really. Squat, pull and push something. Chins and rowing something other than a boat. Rest and eat intelligently. Do shit like this for a while before you worry about a specialized program. SS is a fine place to start if you have not trained before.

To me the Zercher, particularly the deadlift off the floor, is movement pattern of it's own requiring it's own assistance work.

Back