Rogan messed with the whole mma-world during Aldo vs Edgar

Took me 3 hours to count every significant strike landed in every round. Watched all the exchanges in real time and in slowmotion, most of them multiple times to make sure I didnt miss anything. To count as a significant strike, the impact of the strike had to be clearly visible and/or the sound of the punch/strike landing had to be clear. I can confidently say the official stats at fightmatrix are way off. The margin of error here is probably + - 2 strikes for each fighter/round.

Here it is:

Round 1:

Aldo 10
Edgar 14

Fightmatrix: Aldo 14, Edgar 14

Those 4 extra strikes for Aldo just doesnt exist. You would literally have to count every strike that even touched Edgar as a sig.strike for Aldo, and not do the same for Edgar.

Round 2:

Aldo 16
Edgar 15

Ok.

Round 3:

Aldo 10
Edgar 17

Fightmatrix: Aldo 17, Edgar 21

Inexcusable job from official stats. There is no way there was that many even relatively decent shots to count as sig.strikes. It seems a lot of the strikes that actually missed or barely touched the opponent were counted as sig.strikes.

Round 4:

Aldo 16
Edgar 15

Fightmatrix: Aldo 16, Edgar 20

Round 5

Aldo 11
Edgar 11

Fightmatrix: Aldo 19, Edgar 10

Conclusion: Edgar won at least rounds 1 and 3 and the rest of the rounds were close aswell. You could argue Edgar won the fight and vice versa.

This was possibly the most biased commentary Ive ever heard from Rogan, and it seemed to fool almost all the fans, the media and the Fightmatrix staff aswell. Edgar clipped Aldo multiple times with hard shots and every round of the fight was competitive and close. Rogan made it sound like Aldo dominated the fight, and every strike Aldo landed was something amazing and that Edgar didnt have any power in his punches (or kicks) even when you could clearly see Aldos skull swinging hard from the impact of Edgar`s punches.

I really hope Rogan would just go away. He is ruining the fights too often for me to enjoy the commentary.
I watched it with no commentary, with family and friends and I didn't even score it because Aldo was easily winning each round. I stopped paying attention around 4 and 5 because Aldo was running away with it. And I put money on Edgar

Excellent breakdown man. I was drunk when I watched it live, but I gave frankie rds 1,3 for sure, and gave him the 5th if only cause Aldo backed off at the end and refused to engage, Anderson/Maia style.

I think you're still drunk now.

Looked alot like their first fight, dont know what i was expecting really. Huge frankie fan but aldo was the better fighter. Didnt dominate him by any means but he definitely beat him soundly

I agree the commentary was very biased towards aldo. I also disagree with a lot of comments in here about the stuffed takedowns and the neutralization of the grappling. Defending a takedown shouldnt score you points, and shouldnt be seen as negative for the offensive fighter. I think this is the primary reason why many people think aldo won decisively.

I think aldo won, but in an extremely close fight. Yes he was able to stuff all the take downs beautifully, but he allowed edgar to effectively strike with him at the same time. I had two rounds scored decisively for aldo, one for edgar, and two rounds could have easily been a draw and/or gone either way.

I would definitely say aldo landed the harder strikes overall, and more to the head than edgar did. by no means was this a dominant win imo.

Aldo finished stronger/landed the more significant strikes..
finishing strong doesnt affect previously scored rounds..

Yeah some people here acting like I was crazy having it tied going into the 5th round. Still scored the fight for Aldo, but it was closer than everyone was saying.

Took me 3 hours to count every significant strike landed in every round. Watched all the exchanges in real time and in slowmotion, most of them multiple times to make sure I didnt miss anything. To count as a significant strike, the impact of the strike had to be clearly visible and/or the sound of the punch/strike landing had to be clear. I can confidently say the official stats at fightmatrix are way off. The margin of error here is probably + - 2 strikes for each fighter/round.

Here it is:

Round 1:

Aldo 10
Edgar 14

Those 4 extra strikes for Aldo just doesnt exist. You would literally have to count every strike that even touched Edgar as a sig.strike for Aldo, and not do the same for Edgar.

Round 2:

Aldo 16
Edgar 15

Ok.

Round 3:

Aldo 10
Edgar 17

Fightmatrix: Aldo 17, Edgar 21

Inexcusable job from official stats. There is no way there was that many even relatively decent shots to count as sig.strikes. It seems a lot of the strikes that actually missed or barely touched the opponent were counted as sig.strikes.

Round 4:

Aldo 16
Edgar 15

Fightmatrix: Aldo 16, Edgar 20

Round 5

Aldo 11
Edgar 11

Fightmatrix: Aldo 19, Edgar 10

Conclusion: Edgar won at least rounds 1 and 3 and the rest of the rounds were close aswell. You could argue Edgar won the fight and vice versa.

This was possibly the most biased commentary Ive ever heard from Rogan, and it seemed to fool almost all the fans, the media and the Fightmatrix staff aswell. Edgar clipped Aldo multiple times with hard shots and every round of the fight was competitive and close. Rogan made it sound like Aldo dominated the fight, and every strike Aldo landed was something amazing and that Edgar didnt have any power in his punches (or kicks) even when you could clearly see Aldos skull swinging hard from the impact of Edgar`s punches.

I really hope Rogan would just go away. He is ruining the fights too often for me to enjoy the commentary.

You should focus on more
Important things in life.

Frankie won that fight, because TS wants to.
Mustache Aldo give the belt to Frankie please

Anybody saying Aldo dominated is out their fucking mind. He pulled away the last 2 rounds but before that close fight that I had Edgar up in. Aldo did a great job flurrying the last 10 seconds of every round though so I knew people would want to score every round for him

I watched it with no commentary, with family and friends and I didn't even score it because Aldo was easily winning each round. I stopped paying attention around 4 and 5 because Aldo was running away with it. And I put money on Edgar

Ok, and should I care? I actually studied the fight hours.

Since when does one punch count more than the other if no one is dropped? I'm still waiting on an explanation for this. Edgar landed more shots by far. He won the fight. Aldo's punches doing more damage does not mean he did more in the fight. It just means that he hits harder. He ran from Edgar most of the fight as well and octagon control was obviously ignored in the scoring for some reason.

Is the judge's perception of what punch is stronger somehow a higher way to score a landed punch? Because that is the only way that I see Aldo winning that fight is if it can be scored that way.

Little obsessive to watch the whole fight in slo-mo to count strikes. It's all useless anyway seeing how what a "significant strike" is subjective.

Regardless of who you thought won and loss, Joe's commentary was very bias.

Aldo's shots were harder and obviously did more damage. I scored the fight 3-2 for Aldo with Frankie winning 1 and 3 and 5 being a toss up, but Aldo clearly won rounds 2 and 4.

It was a very close fight, because I thought it came down to the 5th round, which was very close, but you have it backwards. Frankie didn't clearly win 2 rounds. Aldo clearly won 2 rounds with the other 3 rounds being close.

it doesnt matter, if you read the rules. they only are supposed to consider the hardest strikes that have the most impact i.e. when aldo kept laying a whooping on frankie at the end of the round. they only consider things like number of strikes if the rest is "virtually identical" (goldie voice).

of course the judges never go by the actual rules but yeah, nobody cares about off balance pitter patter

Aldo is way bigger than Frankie.....Frankie should consider fighting Cruz at 135.

I got Aldo winning easily, shit even Edgar knew he lost the fight. Edgar did swing a lot but missed. Aldo dodged and step out the way very nice last night with crisp counters, jab and the two piece combo. He even got Edgar kicking the air from frustration at some time.

the strikes aldo lands are visibly stronger, and whether edgar landed more strikes or not, damage is taken into account. it looks more impressive to the judges when aldo lands, so it clearly influences them.

Did you miss the part where I said I watched every exchange of the fight multiple times in slowmotion and in real time. I know how the fight went better than you, and it was very close.

1740 called and wants it's science back...

jk, it's quantum mechanics, and it's lauging hysterically for some reason.

Back