Media Ronda Rousey says “I’m the greatest fighter that has ever lived.”

I think that some competitors need to believe in themselves to the point of delusion. If that's that the thing that lets her walk into the cage with someone looking to beat her unconscious... that's cool with me.

Whether it's Ronda, GSP, Mir, Nick Diaz... the psychology of some of the greatest ever is usually a mess.

I think GSP had the best psychological game in the business, although he was also obsessive to the point that it was tiresome. GSP was highly self-aware, but had underlying confidence in his skills. He didn't need to massage his ego by talking a lot or having excess bravado.

Mir IMO was somewhat delusional and always thought he was better/smarter than he was. Ronda was completely delusional. In both cases I think it hindered them as Ronda never improved and Frank fought stupidly a lot of the time, often acting as though others couldn't hurt him. If they had been more self-aware they would have fared better. However, that said, if you aren't self-aware it is still better to be confident than not confident.

In case you didn’t watch the video in the thread, she basically said she was way ahead of everyone else skill wise going into the Nunes fight, but lost because her brain doesn’t callous and was susceptible to being punched in the face. The first punch put her out on her feet. She also said she went into the Holm fight with a concussion caused by falling down stairs prior to the fight.

How can you not love her? She’s amazing!
And there was me thinking she lost as they were better fighters.

I question anyone who still liked Joe Rogan or found his opinions valid after the things he said about Ronda, at the height of the hype.

She was great, but she was very limited. And that truth came out once she started fighting the very best.

She was never gonna beat any male bantamweights.
She was never gonna beat Floyd Mayweather
She was never gonna beat Cain

<{MingNope}><{MingNope}><{MingNope}><{MingNope}>

Rogan acting like that is a sign to me that you can smoke yourself retarded. Like everything is some epic big deal, when it isn't. Ronda was a one trick pony in a sport (WMMA) that barely has any participants and is brand new.

People thought she could beat someone like Urijah Faber or Cub Swanson, but in reality she couldn't beat Holly Holm.

Ronda had perfect timing in a nascent sport. That is all.

I think GSP had the best psychological game in the business, although he was also obsessive to the point that it was tiresome. GSP was highly self-aware, but had underlying confidence in his skills. He didn't need to massage his ego by talking a lot or having excess bravado.

Mir IMO was somewhat delusional and always thought he was better/smarter than he was. Ronda was completely delusional. In both cases I think it hindered them as Ronda never improved and Frank fought stupidly a lot of the time, often acting as though others couldn't hurt him. If they had been more self-aware they would have fared better. However, that said, if you aren't self-aware it is still better to be confident than not confident.

GSP's mindset may have been good for his career, but a guy who's obsessing over how scared he is (and justifiably so), is absolutely not in a great headspace.

Fear and anxiety made him cautious and caution made him dominant, but it probably wasn't a great head space to live in for months at a time.

Fame and success caught up to Ronda, as it does to most fighters. She was one of the most dominant fighters to ever grace this sport and no doubt one of the most exciting. At the same time I have never seen a fighter with more haters, not even Conor. Just read this thread. It's discusting.

Fame and success caught up to Ronda, as it does to most fighters. She was one of the most dominant fighters to ever grace this sport and no doubt one of the most exciting. At the same time I have never seen a fighter with more haters, not even Conor. Just read this thread. It's discusting.
For real. Even if she did all the things they say she should do,they'd hate her for doing that too.

"Go away Ronda!"

"oh why did you go away, running like a coward!"

GSP's mindset may have been good for his career, but a guy who's obsessing over how scared he is (and justifiably so), is absolutely not in a great headspace.

Fear and anxiety made him cautious and caution made him dominant, but it probably wasn't a great head space to live in for months at a time.
Your right

But that was the only way for HIM to do it.

Everyone has their own path. It was the only way he could do it,but it got him everything. It was just harder for him mentally than others to achieve the excellence.

In case you didn’t watch the video in the thread, she basically said she was way ahead of everyone else skill wise going into the Nunes fight, but lost because her brain doesn’t callous and was susceptible to being punched in the face. The first punch put her out on her feet. She also said she went into the Holm fight with a concussion caused by falling down stairs prior to the fight.

How can you not love her? She’s amazing!
How in the hell can you say you are so much better than everybody else and not be able to throw a punch without looking like a retard? She had amazing grappling skills, but she was so untalented in the stand up department, it's not even funny. Even after years and years of striking training she looked worse than CM Punk throwing a punch after 2 days, it was embarrassing...

She was lucky all the girls back then were absolute noobs that could barely walk in a straight line without falling down...

Living in that L.A. bubble not only made her delusional, but it looks like she picked up some valley girl vocabulary.

eb2da789-7e12-4a23-afce-b64b4f8abad9_text.gif

What an incredibly arrogant thing to say, lmao.

Even went as far to say “fighter” in general. Never been a rousey hater, but wow. The self awareness isn’t strong in this one.

She has strong head movement, it is just front to back. That is a great skillset in a gf, but it makes a very hittable fighter.
Maybe she learned head movement from that movie breakin. Or maybe breakin 2 electric boogaloo. That pop lock shit is weird.

So Royce winning in UFC wasn't saying much either? So we discount all pioneers?
It showed that if you studied BJJ since you were a toddler and had done dozens of Gracie Challenge fights already, you'd beat guys who had way less experience. I saw guys with 3 to 6 months of basic judo/JJ training and Gracie BJJ VHS tapes tap out much bigger guys back in 1995. Seeing Royce do the same thing didn't amaze me.

The Gracies were pioneers, but they basically brought a gun to a knife fight so I don't consider them GOATs in any way. The fact Rorian Gracie (Whorian as we called him on the old AOL NHB forums) and other family members were so involved in the UFC tainted it as well. That was a major conflict of interest. And Royce's "unbelievable" win streak only lasted 13 months. His last fight was a draw and he left town as soon as other fighters began to catch up.

Back