Rousey's Judo is the best in UFC?

A Muse of Fire

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
She has some of the best the best judo in the company.
The only fighters that are better at Judo than her than her are Jones and maybe Machida.

She has better throws and submissions than Akiyama, Okami and Boesch.

As for submissions, she is top rate though I think Mia and Mir are better IMO.

edit: Jones and Machida train Judo and use it heavily. Certainly Ronda is more proven in actual Judo competition.

Last edited:
How can you be top rate for submissions when you only have 1?

Kim has pretty good judo background and showed it inside the octagon.

Akiyama - Best judo.
Stungun - Best utilization of judo inside the octagon.
Rousey - Best accomplishments in judo.

Its a toss up between these three imo.

How can you be top rate for submissions when you only have 1?

Have only used one. If you think that's her only submission in her arsenal... . .

And she snaps limbs with it, catches it quickly and nobody has been able to defend it. Let's see what happens when someone can defend it. Until then, why fix what isn't broken?

The only fighters that are better at Judo than her than her are Jones and maybe Machida.

So a wrestler and a sumo/bjj/karate fighter are better at judo than an Olympic medalist?

Okay.

Is this even a discussion?

Until these other guys start earning Olympic medals, they're not better at judo than Ronda. Maybe they can beat her in a judo match with physical strength, but then so can Bob Sapp.

Your ranking of judo fighters is way off. 'Way off' is being kind.

Isn't Akiyama a real good Judoku? Karo? Correct me if I'm wrong. Hector Lombard?

Not olympic level, I don't know but those guys are damn good.

Paul Harris only has one type of submission and he uses it to win fights.

Paul Sass relies on the triangle.

Rousey though also has a good top game and a wide variety of throws and sweeps. She also doesn't give up position either to break limbs.

Are you saying that Jone's judo >> Akiyama's??
Akiyama is an Asian Game Winner, and one of the few Zanichis that had a shot at the Korean National Team.
One could argue that Jones have better TDs, TDDs, and overall grappling, but comparing his Judo to Akiyama's is like comparing the kickboxing pedigree of Machida to that of Spong's.

Being the BEST is different than being the most decorated. She may have the best credentials in Judo in the UFC... But is she the best in the UFC? My god no way not even close... she would get worked in a strait judo match by any male judo player that is in the UFC.

Are you saying that Jone's judo >> Akiyama's??
Akiyama is an Asian Game Winner, and one of the few Zanichis that had a shot at the Korean National Team.
One could argue that Jones have better TDs, TDDs, and overall grappling, but comparing his Judo to Akiyama's is like comparing the kickboxing pedigree of Machida to that of Spong's.

I wasn't referring to pedigree, but skills and techniques used in fights.

Oddly... yes.

Sexyama and Stungun have a right to dispute that, of course.

A womans medal is not the same as a mans medal lets get that straight.

Being the BEST is different than being the most decorated. She may have the best credentials in Judo in the UFC... But is she the best in the UFC? My god no way not even close... she would get worked in a strait judo match by any male judo player that is in the UFC.

Yeah.. even pound for pound I'd pick the men. Men are far stronger and faster pound for pound.

I don't even know that she has the best credentials, as you can't measure women's credentials vs male in sport. There are simply many more male judoka in the world than female. For example, Kim is the same dan as Rousey.

Note: I am not against women's MMA, so I don't want people to think I'm just woman bashing. In fact, I look forward to Rousey in the Octagon.

Akiyama's toss on Shields were a thing of beauty, you could see a WTF expression on Shields' face, he had no idea what had just happened.

Back