Rousey's Judo is the best in UFC?

sorry but no... she is a woman i know its sexist but the best women in any sport are usually only at the level of semi pro men or must worse. I am willing to bet on champion highschool basketball team vs the best wnba team etc....

she is no doubt highy decorated but it is against weaker competion

So a wrestler and a sumo/bjj/karate fighter are better at judo than an Olympic medalist?

Okay.

LOL good point. She is the best mmartist to utilize judo in her fight game so far. Some guys like marco ruas and fedor have tossed guys like ragdolls but Rousey's throws are artful and used in every fight I've seen at least so far of hers. Dave Camarillo must be loving it!

She has some of the best the best judo in the company.
The only fighters that are better at Judo than her than her are Jones and maybe Machida.

She has better throws and submissions than Akiyama, Okami and Boesch.

As for submissions, she is top rate though I think Mia and Mir are better IMO.

edit: Jones and Machida train Judo and use it heavily. Certainly Ronda is more proven in actual Judo competition.

Jones and Machida don't train judo.

I'm going to say with a record of 6-0 all by 1st round arm bars that she is clearly the best at Judo in the UFC and MMA in general.

Everyone knows it's coming and nobody can do shit to stop it. She has her judo down to a science.

I wasn't referring to pedigree, but skills and techniques used in fights.

I'm not trying to discredit Rousey's skills or techniques used in fights,
but you are way off if you think that the skill set of WMMA is on par with the skill set of men's MMA.
Rousey's judo works because most WMMA fighters do not have a balanced game at all. She has never really met an opponent that knows how to grapple.
If its good implementation of judo in MMA matches that you are looking for, the winner goes to DHK, hands down. Stungun might not have the beautiful submissions, but his newaza has been proven to be successful against good grapplers such as Diaz, Thiago, and Karo, and is by far the most dominant display of judo ever seen in the UFC.

I'd like to give a shoutout to Hidehiko Yoshida (yeah he's not UFC who cares I'd rather talk about best judokas in MMA). Dude won olympic gold and competed against the best in the division...a division which he probably should not have been in. Not saying he's the best judoka in MMA but he deserves a mention.

Great moments: grappling against Royce Gracie and his first fight with Wanderlei Silva

I can't think of anyone that secured a jujikatame immediately after throw. Rousey is unmatched in her ability to do that.

Stungun also has excellent judo, but he doesn't have the same ability to submit opponents.
He has faced much better competition though. He is the more proven fighter against tougher opposition.

Yes, Rousey is a judo medalist, but you have to take into consideration the size of the talent pool as well as depth of competition. Women's Judo is nowhere near as deep and talent rich as mens judo. She is a top level judo competitor, but Hector, Manny gamburyan, and guys like Akiyama and DHK are at least on par if not better.
Also- similar to wrestling-just because you go to the olympics and/or are a decorated athlete in one facet of the sport does not mean you are definitely better people lacking those same credentials, something athletes like GSP and Jones have showed us

Okay. Who in the UFC has better Judo medals?

I don't want to make this a sex thing, but i would argue placing gold in men's competition during the Asian Games is a harder feat to accomplish than placing gold in woman's competition in the Olympics, but that's just my opinion. each to his own, i guess.

At the moment yes

The fact that she is a woman brings out the sexist herp derp TAPOUT wearing meatheads who try to discredit Rousey at all costs

Olympic calibre judo

Alright, the Jones praise is getting out of control. First he's one of the greatest wrestlers in MMA history-- alright, I can understand it-- then he's one of the best strikers ever-- that's going a little far, but I guess I can see why you'd say that-- then he has some of the best submissions ever in MMA-- alright, now it's getting preposterous-- but you can't say he has some of the best Judo in MMA. I guess Tim Boetsch has some of the best Judo in MMA cuz' he used a Judo throw that one time, right?

1.gif

And Ronda's Judo is definitely in the top 3 of the UFC, or top 5 at the most, if you understand the real dynamics of Judo and shit and can really rank everything she does and how she does it against other fighters that have a Judo-heavy arsenal.

At the moment yes

The fact that she is a woman brings out the sexist herp derp TAPOUT wearing meatheads who try to discredit Rousey at all costs

Olympic calibre judo

Agreed! Give credit where the credit's due! Not saying she has the best judo in ufc I'm not saying she would throw JDS, but she utilizes best judo against her opponents. She only got 3rd place in the worlds most prestigious judo event not that great huh? .:rolleyes:

Agreed! Give credit where the credit's due! Not saying she has the best judo in ufc I'm not saying she would throw JDS, but she utilizes best judo against her opponents. She only got 3rd place in the worlds most prestigious judo event not that great huh? .:rolleyes:

What's amazing is that people will try to discredit Rousey's judo on the basis of female competition not being on par with that of males, yet they will praise Megumi Fujii's record as the second coming of Fedor if not better.:icon_lol:

I don't think thats exactly true. Ronda is a phenom for sure, but to compare her directly to the men's division isn't fair. She'd get ragdolled by the journeymen lightweights in straight judo, no doubt.

There's no reason to make an unfair comparison here. Ronda is the best ever for her gender and division. Leave it at that.

So a wrestler and a sumo/bjj/karate fighter are better at judo than an Olympic medalist?

Okay.

Well, depends, really. I don't think there's any question Machida would own Rousey in a straight up Judo match. Even with the size discrepancy.

Judo is a Co-ed sport. It's not impossible to imagine.

On the other hand, to compare the accomplishments between the two in previous Judo tournaments, obviously Rousey wins. Shes got more judo credentials than anyone else. That doesn't make her the best Judoka, though, to be honest.

If machida were magically shrunk down to Rousey's size and was considered a female, I bet Ma-she-da would have accomplishments at least equal to what Ronda's done. For whatever that's worth,.

She has some of the best the best judo in the company.
The only fighters that are better at Judo than her than her are Jones and maybe Machida.

She has better throws and submissions than Akiyama, Okami and Boesch.

As for submissions, she is top rate though I think Mia and Mir are better IMO.

edit: Jones and Machida train Judo and use it heavily. Certainly Ronda is more proven in actual Judo competition.

Yeah, she got an olympic bronze medal. Yoshida got a gold but he isn't in the UFC so I would think you answered your own question. The proof is in the pudding.

Well, depends, really. I don't think there's any question Machida would own Rousey in a straight up Judo match. Even with the size discrepancy.

Judo is a Co-ed sport. It's not impossible to imagine.

On the other hand, to compare the accomplishments between the two in previous Judo tournaments, obviously Rousey wins. Shes got more judo credentials than anyone else. That doesn't make her the best Judoka, though, to be honest.

If machida were magically shrunk down to Rousey's size and was considered a female, I bet Ma-she-da would have accomplishments at least equal to what Ronda's done. For whatever that's worth,.

In order to have a chance at beating Rousey in a Judo match, Machida would first have to become a Judoka. Sumo =/= Judo.

Back