Roy Jones: "You struggled with a Junior Middleweight"

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Roy Jones is convinced that "ya'll must have forgot". He gives his take on GGG allegedly being ranked as "number 2 greatest middleweight in the last 25 years" over himself by ESPN.

Would Roy Jones have beat GGG in a middleweight showdown? Considering he moved all the way up to heavyweight in his career, how would GGG's power hold up to a fighter the caliber of a prime RJJ?

Dan Rafael is just living his emotions and hatred. Surely he learned it all from hanging with Bob Arum whom at best just sends him a box full of cheap sandwiches each week for articles praising Top Rank fighters....

That being said, when Dan Rafael is gone from ESPN, surely a new breed will easily criticize and revise his decade of boxing on ESPN. It's a new of age user driven public domain media. Sooner or later we'll be seeing compilation videos of Rafael and his fanboyism on youtube

Completely agree w/ him on the point of GGG not going after a fight with Ward. Unfortunately, Roy's prime was before my time so I can't speak to his status compared to GGG. It'll be interesting to see how this loss effects GGG's legacy over time as people might forget the controversy surrounding it. The other thing that hurts GGG is how often he was ducked early in his prime.

The James Toney that lost to Roy would've starched GGG.

Completely agree w/ him on the point of GGG not going after a fight with Ward. Unfortunately, Roy's prime was before my time so I can't speak to his status compared to GGG. It'll be interesting to see how this loss effects GGG's legacy over time as people might forget the controversy surrounding it. The other thing that hurts GGG is how often he was ducked early in his prime.

Ward was the man. Olympic Gold. Undefeated pro. Super Six Tournament Winner. Called out GGG, couldn't get the fight so went up weight and took the belt from the other feared man in boxing; Kovalev.

I personally don't think GGG would have had much for RJJ. Like Roy said, who else came in at middleweight, and went up to heavyweight to take titles at each weight class? I don't think GGG's power would have intimidated RJJ.

GGG is a greater MW than Roy Jones, but not a better one.

GGG is a greater MW than Roy Jones, but not a better one.

GGG had more hardware at middleweight.
You think RJJ would have taken the weight off of GGG's waist, and shoulders if they had met in their primes?

RJJ got knocked out three times last week.

or is he allowed to get old and lose to people who ain't shit?

Roy fucked up his legacy same way as bj penn, shouldn't have moved around in weight so much.

Prime Roy embarrasses the fuck outta GGG

Roy didn't fight long at MW, but you'd be hard-pressed to find many who would pick Golovkin to ever best him at the weight. I don't think he campaigned there long enough to get placed ahead of Golovkin, though.

As great as it was to see him take belts at every weight class all the way up to heavyweight I think the rise, and fall messed with him. Your body has to adjust to being at those weights I think. He fought for the HW title, and LHW title in the same year.

At that time, Tarver was a LHW, that's it. He was well adjusted to the weight. Not saying Jones couldn't handle it, but well......he came back down to light heavy and Tarver flattened him their second fight. The rest is as you said. He did retire with a cruiserweight belt however. lol

GGG had more hardware at middleweight.
You think RJJ would have taken the weight off of GGG's waist, and shoulders if they had met in their primes?
oh no, GGG isn't beat RJJ. All I'm saying is that he was a more accomplished MW, thus greater at MW.

roy was a killer at middleweight, I saw nothing from any of the fighters who came after him that compares with him, none. The sport has rapidly gone downhill, roy beat all of them on a pfp basis, pac, may, ward, beats them badly, badly. and as a middleweight, take a look at his power, he was every bit a puncher as any you'll ever see.

roy was a killer at middleweight, I saw nothing from any of the fighters who came after him that compares with him, none. The sport has rapidly gone downhill, roy beat all of them on a pfp basis, pac, may, ward, beats them badly, badly. and as a middleweight, take a look at his power, he was every bit a puncher as any you'll ever see.

I don’t know I’d say it’s gone rapidly downhill, Roy is just a once in a century talent.

Roys MW resume isn't that deep, to be fair.

I don’t know I’d say it’s gone rapidly downhill, Roy is just a once in a century talent.
If you're rating them on talent, the its all Roy. If you're rating them on their accomplishment at 160 only, Golovkin did more.

At the end of the vid, Roy is talking more P4P.

Would love to see Ward and Jones

He got knocked out after a decade and a half as a pro, 15 years where he was essentially untouchable.

Back