Roy Moore: last time America was great , was during the slavery era.

Except for the impact that slavery had on the demonstration of family values. I can accept that he's not condoning slavery but the era was not a good one for family values precisely because of slavery.
I didn't say I agree with him, he just obviously isn't condoning slavery.

I haven't read the entire statement, but the way it reads, he essentially says slavery was a negative of that era. Not that he supports it.

Now, perhaps he shouldn't be so dismissive of it. You don't "we had slavery, but" the issue, as if slavery was flu of some kind, but I don't see why you need sensationalize it like you are.

Family values only existed during slavery.

Appeal to emotion much? Slavery doesnt reflect family values. Slavers broke up families precisely because it gave slaves strength. Our modern government does the same thing in different ways. You seem to agree with Moore without realizing it

Hmm, avoiding the question and unaware of the actual quote. Do you think that black families felt that families were more united and stronger during the slave era?

You're agreeing with me while making this low level attempt to defend it. If slavers broke up families because familiies gave slaves strength then the post-break up outcome is by definition weaker, less united. Not as strong.

So, would you say that black families were stronger because they were broken up or weaker?

2 questions, please try to answer them.

What should be explained is "even though" TO YOU. You cant just pass over that. How were slave families that were broke up good family values?
I doubt he was addressing slave families. He's viewing everything through the beer goggles that are his Christian upbringing.
Moore is a Judge that was twice banned from bench, once banned from a Shopping Mall for going after teenage girls, sexual predator going after 14 year old girls when he was a Assistant District Attorney ....by all means keep defending his family values.
You even thinking that means anything in this conversation means you cant think for yourself.

Yes, we're way worse today. Those people who had strong familial bonds, while separating, torturing, killing and enslaving families of a different color were the right ones.

50% divorce rate
20% abortion rate

Pretty sure those were lower in that time... by all means though, pretend we are condoning slavery lol

Really? We went from states rights to federalism. Federalism is a big reason we left England. Slavery was just the catylist for the civil war.

I would argue our country was closest to the constitution pre civil war. We could go nack to these values whithout going back to slavery. Hell only the top 1% even owned slaves

You realize one of the reasons the South seceded was becasue they thought the Fed wasn't doing enough to enforce the Refugee Slave Act right?

They wanted Northern state's to hunt down escaped slaves in the South and return them.

States rights had nothing to do with it

50% divorce rate
20% abortion rate

Pretty sure those were lower in that time... by all means though, pretend we are condoning slavery lol

Women were not really allowed to divorce, given they could mostly not read or write well enough to live independently.

Men could beat their wives, according to the law.

Women in many areas of the nation had far more children than they could support, leading to countless children dying from disease and famine.

children were largely forced into the workforce, in extreme conditions.

My point stands, we are far better off in America than we were in the 1850s. And once again, you take more moral trouble in defense of conceptual lives, than actual children.

Hmm, avoiding the question and unaware of the actual quote. Do you think that black families felt that families were more united and stronger during the slave era?

You're agreeing with me while making this low level attempt to defend it. If slavers broke up families because familiies gave slaves strength then the post-break up outcome is by definition weaker, less united. Not as strong.

So, would you say that black families were stronger because they were broken up or weaker?

2 questions, please try to answer them.

1. They were stolen as opposed to voluntarily giving up their children. Slave families were likely more united then many modern families. It matters not if they agree. 80% abortion rate isnt exactly united

2. Black families suffered as a result of breaking them up. This much seems obvious.

Women were not really allowed to divorce, given they could mostly not read or write well enough to live independently.

Men could beat their wives, according to the law.

Women in many areas of the nation had far more children than they could support, leading to countless children dying from disease and famine.

children were largely forced into the workforce, in extreme conditions.

My point stands, we are far better off in America than we were in the 1850s. And once again, you take more moral trouble in defense of conceptual lives, than actual children.

Yet somehow the family unit was much stronger in that time. Weird...

Babies aren't conceptual. What an absurd statement

Yet somehow the family unit was much stronger in that time. Weird...

Babies aren't conceptual. What an absurd statement

Women being submissive towards husbands, and children being beaten if they act up is not stronger. Pointing to a system where women are to obey their husbands, and do nothing but be a brood mare, while not having any route towards independence is not stronger.

Fetuses are not babies. I will accept the term unborn child, but to pretend as if because abortion (when not done in extremely unsafe fashions) was not much allowed, so hey presto, stronger society, is the absurd thing here.

Back