Ryan Garcia vs. Jayson Velez - May 4 Golden Boy on ESPN

Dude outweighed Ryan by at least 20lbs, and is an extremely aggressive fighter who weight bullies to score insta ko's. Ryan handled himself well & probably wasn't expecting a true fight and a fighter who uses many dirty roughhouse tactics who also outweighed him by 20lbs.

I've boxed that guy 4-5 times actually. It was always rough work & the big gloves & headgear give confidence and make it more difficult (+ with the weight advantage) to discourage with punches, a few of those hooks Ryan landed would have been KO shots in a fight.

He beat Velez easily, which is impressive at his age without a doubt. He definitely has clear flaws that need to be addressed & fixed, but he still has the potential to be a superstar & absolute monster in 3-4 years.

I appreciate your experience with sparring the guy, but I don't think Garcia did well in the sparring session or in the fight against Velez- purely because of the hype surrounding him (not saying I could have done better obviously!)

I agree he has the potential to be a superstar (he already kind of is), and be a monster in a few years...but I think despite him already having 15 fights they'll need to cherry pick a significant amount of fights til then to protect him to get to that stage

Garcia looked awful.

Also, BHOP needs to stay off the mic. I am one of his biggest fans on this forum, but he was terrible.

I appreciate your experience with sparring the guy, but I don't think Garcia did well in the sparring session or in the fight against Velez- purely because of the hype surrounding him (not saying I could have done better obviously!)

I agree he has the potential to be a superstar (he already kind of is), and be a monster in a few years...but I think despite him already having 15 fights they'll need to cherry pick a significant amount of fights til then to protect him to get to that stage

The hype surrounding him is his own fault, he has written a hefty check that his ass might not be able to cash, had he done no trash talking or having an ego, this would be looked at as a good performance. It's the fact that he promised a KO, and is talking about Ko'ing these other champions, that puts a sour note on a performance where he pretty much dominates but takes it the distance & doesn't try and take risks to finish the fight.

I think he may be one of those cases where he needs to lose before he will truly utilize his potential. Too much of an ego right now to try and change or learn anything. The most drastic mistake hes making right now is dropping his hands when firing his shots. A good Danny Garcia/Amir Khan moment for him will make him fix it, but until then he is going to say to himself "but I'm winning so I don't need to change anything". Maturity will play a big factor but with the flaws he is showing I expect a brutal beatdown here soon as he keeps stepping up, and then him becoming a real dominant force. He needs to avoid punchers period right now because of how he covers up on the inside, Tank would have obliterated his body and punched through his guard with ease. Same thing tho, once he takes a loss from that mistake, he'll make a serious effort to fix it.

The hype surrounding him is his own fault, he has written a hefty check that his ass might not be able to cash, had he done no trash talking or having an ego, this would be looked at as a good performance. It's the fact that he promised a KO, and is talking about Ko'ing these other champions, that puts a sour note on a performance where he pretty much dominates but takes it the distance & doesn't try and take risks to finish the fight.

I think he may be one of those cases where he needs to lose before he will truly utilize his potential. Too much of an ego right now to try and change or learn anything. The most drastic mistake hes making right now is dropping his hands when firing his shots. A good Danny Garcia/Amir Khan moment for him will make him fix it, but until then he is going to say to himself "but I'm winning so I don't need to change anything". Maturity will play a big factor but with the flaws he is showing I expect a brutal beatdown here soon as he keeps stepping up, and then him becoming a real dominant force. He needs to avoid punchers period right now because of how he covers up on the inside, Tank would have obliterated his body and punched through his guard with ease. Same thing tho, once he takes a loss from that mistake, he'll make a serious effort to fix it.

You make it seem like he's incredibly skilled but too egotistical. Dude is stiff, no jab, no head movement, and no footwork. Plus he gets backed up pretty easily and really dislikes getting hit. I know he's only 19, but he has a lot of holes in his game.

You make it seem like he's incredibly skilled but too egotistical. Dude is stiff, no jab, no head movement, and no footwork. Plus he gets backed up pretty easily and really dislikes getting hit. I know he's only 19, but he has a lot of holes in his game.

He is incredibly gifted and because of that he is not focusing on skills, but ur ceiling is determined by the talent and his ceiling is as high as it gets. Good sense of timing, great speed, can punch, has height for the weight class. Those things are allowing him to beat the lower level guys without taking much punishment and thus not punishing him for his mistakes. He is like an 11x national amateur champion for a reason so obviously he can box. I just see the potential for his athletic gifts

The biggest problem I've seen of him in clips is his defense consists of covering up. Once he gets fatigued that defense is going to get him killed. Other than that I like his style and quick hands.

Back