• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

S--t you hate in video games.....

Well, on that point, and keeping in line with the theme of this thread, too many games lately seem to want to wear too many different hats. Like I know some people get really turned off of the plat forming sections of Doom Eternal for example.

For me personally the best example would be when they introduced naval combat to Assassin’s Creed III. All I wanted was to skulk around crowds and in the shadows so I could shank mother fuckers in the back and throw their corpses in a bail of hey. Instead the game has me pretending I’m Long John Silver or some shit.
Black Flag was awesome, though. I enjoyed Black Flag so much that I've been excitedly looking forward to Skull and Bones for years, knowing full well that it isn't releasing any time soon.

Black Flag was awesome, though. I enjoyed Black Flag so much that I've been excitedly looking forward to Skull and Bones for years, knowing full well that it isn't releasing any time soon.

I’m sure it was, but if a person just wanted AC2 gameplay and no boating I imagine they’re going to be in for a bad time.

Well, on that point, and keeping in line with the theme of this thread, too many games lately seem to want to wear too many different hats. Like I know some people get really turned off of the plat forming sections of Doom Eternal for example.

For me personally the best example would be when they introduced naval combat to Assassin’s Creed III. All I wanted was to skulk around crowds and in the shadows so I could shank mother fuckers in the back and throw their corpses in a bail of hey. Instead the game has me pretending I’m Long John Silver or some shit.

I would only offer a personal disagreement, as AC gets a lot of flack for not evolving, and for what it is, it works pretty well. They also weren't really aping any popular game mechanic at the time either, just to jump on a trend. They just plopped it right in there, and let it ride. I'm not the biggest fan of it, but I can't knock them for introducing such a large and well made game within the game.

I hear ya, though. Sometimes games stray a little too far from their bread and butter, even if what they're doing is well handled. In terms of AC, I would at least say they actually had the balls to gamble on this feature on their own, rather than shoehorning some popular mechanic in there.

For AC, I think a better example would be when they tried to incorporate "Tower Defense" into the game. That was a joke.

I would only offer a personal disagreement, as AC gets a lot of flack for not evolving, and for what it is, it works pretty well. They also weren't really aping any popular game mechanic at the time either, just to jump on a trend. They just plopped it right in there, and let it ride. I'm not the biggest fan of it, but I can't knock them for introducing such a large and well made game within the game.

I hear ya, though. Sometimes games stray a little too far from their bread and butter, even if what they're doing is well handled. In terms of AC, I would at least say they actually had the balls to gamble on this feature on their own, rather than shoehorning some popular mechanic in there.

For AC, I think a better example would be when they tried to incorporate "Tower Defense" into the game. That was a joke.

Yeah, I think I remember that, wasn’t that in... brotherhood? In any event that’s another good example of what I’m talking about. I guess it worked with the naval combat as they followed up AC III with Black Flag and... Rogue? Which featured the naval stuff heavily so obviously as far as experimenting with gameplay goes I guess it worked, however, I could just as easily see somebody going from AC 2 to one of the later games and suddenly they’re on a boat and they have no idea how they got there.

Ok, that’s what I thought. It’s been ten years since I played Fallout 3, but I didn’t remember any base building in it, and I’ve never played 4 at all but when I heard about the base building I thought it sounded terrible.
I really enjoyed the base building, spent way too much time in it once mods gave us all kinds of things to build. It was a bit janky, especially placement, but mods made it something special, aesthetically.

The big problem with it is that there is no real point behind building most things. Enemies would also spawn inside the walls of your base, making defense useless most of the time

There's huge mod called sim settlements, which made it really cool, but Bethesda not having the mechanic properly integrated into the game made it look like the faction fill in it was, ie lazy BGS.

I'd like to see it return in Elder Scrolls 6, as an optional quest line, but far more fleshed out.

I'd like to see it return in Elder Scrolls 6, as an optional quest line, but far more fleshed out.
I really liked the Hearthfire dlc for Skyrim (though it was truly limited) and there are quite a few mods that give much more interesting options for settlements. Feel like base building / homesteading fits the game's atmosphere well though whereas it may not always be the case for every game.

I really liked the Hearthfire dlc for Skyrim (though it was truly limited) and there are quite a few mods that give much more interesting options for settlements. Feel like base building / homesteading fits the game's atmosphere well though whereas it may not always be the case for every game.
I forgot all about that. I dabbled a little, but I dont think you could build a cabin from scratch right?

I love city builders, but it's nice when you have quests you can go on too, and having combat. I think the Settlers did it best, but Valheim is promising too

I forgot all about that. I dabbled a little, but I dont think you could build a cabin from scratch right?

I love city builders, but it's nice when you have quests you can go on too, and having combat. I think the Settlers did it best, but Valheim is promising too
Yeah, you'd get a plot of land and get to build the cabin bit by bit. There really was no customization other than choosing what and what not to build, but it was still really relaxing and fun imo

Haven't played Valheim but that seems like it is on a totally different level and that base-building is a rather central focus for them

Trivial, sure, but no less disappointing later to find out that a game, service or system (especially one you enjoyed) had a much cooler working project title than what we actually got.

<{outtahere}>
Hard to think of much off-cuff here but I remember Series X being tentatively codenamed Lockhart as well as Scarlett (sp?), iirc, and both sound pretty badass, IMO -- not to mention readily discernible from any systems prior. Also, Elden Ring being rumour-milled years back under the name Great Rune, which similarly sounds better to me.

Thoughts on this?

Forced stealth sections.

Missions where you have to make sure an NPC doesn't get killed.

Boss runs. Hey, I know you've killed these bosses already, but now you get to fight them all again! Looking at you, Nioh.

Too many shoot them ups not much originality in games today better graphics but game play seems the same. I would like more variety and less me too. Example was "The Climb" very original not another shoot me up and using the latest technology.

I really don't like the trend towards games become interactive movies instead of just games. If I want to watch a movie, I'll watch a movie. I don't want gigantic heaps of melodramatic exposition dumped on me every five minutes. It doesn't interest me, and just like lots of movies aren't for everyone, injecting movie beats in games seems like a great way to put people off who'd otherwise enjoy the gameplay.

I'm replaying the PS4 Spider-Man game and of all its faults (while still being a good game) its damn near unforgivable how fucking horrible the Mary Jane / Miles Morales stealth missions are.

Holy fuck whoever designed them should be dragged out to the street and shot.

When you as the main character are doing things he shouldn't be doing when the more compelling stuff is wafted into the ether, never to be touched by the player. Not exactly sure how to phrase it but I can certainly give a vivid example of it.

In Dragon Age Inquisition you are the fucking inquisitor. You are THE guy. All the side quests are just mobile-game-esque, where you send people off to do something, with a certain chance of success.

So you, the inquisitor, are not the one to go broker peace treaties between nations. Instead you are tasked with the noble responsibility of gathering twelve fucking moose pelts and turning them in so you can get the quest for six moose antlers.

When you as the main character are doing things he shouldn't be doing when the more compelling stuff is wafted into the ether, never to be touched by the player. Not exactly sure how to phrase it but I can certainly give a vivid example of it.

In Dragon Age Inquisition you are the fucking inquisitor. You are THE guy. All the side quests are just mobile-game-esque, where you send people off to do something, with a certain chance of success.

So you, the inquisitor, are not the one to go broker peace treaties between nations. Instead you are tasked with the noble responsibility of gathering twelve fucking moose pelts and turning them in so you can get the quest for six moose antlers.
Whilst I did love the game, yeah. Why am I, as the big boss man/lady, doing fucking busy work fetch quests? That's for the peasants.

Might've said this before, but "collision detection" should just be outright removed for companions. I've been getting back into "Fallout 4" and my god, it's like they're programmed to stand in doorways and stairways. Like, get the fuck out of the way! If you can't program them to be smart enough to not take up cramped spaces, then just let me clip through them. I don't care about the "realism". Especially after they clearly don't move realistically.

Games/sections that are only difficult due to awkward/shitty controls. Pretty much any vehicle stage in the Mass Effect games.

Trivial, sure, but no less disappointing later to find out that a game, service or system (especially one you enjoyed) had a much cooler working project title than what we actually got.

<{outtahere}>
Hard to think of much off-cuff here but I remember Series X being tentatively codenamed Lockhart as well as Scarlett (sp?), iirc, and both sound pretty badass, IMO -- not to mention readily discernible from any systems prior. Also, Elden Ring being rumour-milled years back under the name Great Rune, which similarly sounds better to me.

Thoughts on this?
Yeah, Xbox names are terrible and surely confusing to casuals, much like the WiiU

I liked Sony's Vita code name more; NGP (next gen portable)

Back