Media Sandhagen says Umar negotiations have stalled, doesn't wanna give him any advantages

Cory is throwing him a big line here, even after Umar has already withdrawn once. Umar needs to accept whatever conditions Cory is setting if wants that fight.

Definitely a more winnable fight for Umar if it stayed at 3 rounds, if he sees himself as being a champion in the near future he should agree to 5 rounds.

Yeah, and it makes it more suspenseful for the fans too if the undefeated Dagistani has a disadvantage going in, IMO. I really hope it happens. I am assuming he is managed by Abdelazziz. Hope Ali won't have a the same kind of mentality with the negotations as he had with Zabit vs Kattar.

Umar needs to take whatever's thrown at em and stfu. Getting a chance to fight #3 with a full camp and his gripe is that it's not 3 rounds?

Why CO? it's a fight night that's a very acceptable main event for a fight night.

Saudi's are paying a decent site fee. My guess is the main is going to be Islam Vs Poirier or Khamzat Vs Cannonier.

Saudi's are paying a decent site fee. My guess is the main is going to be Islam Vs Poirier or Khamzat Vs Cannonier.
It's not a ppv, So I doubt they put islam on free TV for the west.

I'd be surprised if that were the case, I Suppose that is not completely out of the question.

IMO khamzat vs Cannonier is just as merited as Umar vs Sandhagen, Interchangeable as far as card placement goes. (would probably go CO main, because of weight class)

Woah wait Umar's actually pushing for this?

What fucking position is he in to demand any such thing? You're getting a gift up the rankings vs a guy who doesn't need to take this fight at all. Unreal this Dagestani entitlement.

If it's a main event on a fight night card or co main event on a PPV card, sure 5 rounds. If they are wanting to stack international fight week and want it to be the 1st or 2nd fight on a PPV card, then 3 rounds and Cory shouldn't let it be an issue. I would however like to see it be 5 rounds.

It's not a ppv, So I doubt they put islam on free TV for the west.

I'd be surprised if that were the case, I Suppose that is not completely out of the question.

IMO khamzat vs Cannonier is just as merited as Umar vs Sandhagen, Interchangeable as far as card placement goes. (would probably go CO main, because of weight class)

Khamzat is just the bigger name. They'd main Khamzat over Umar without question.

I totally see where he is coming from. He is the one who should be in the eliminator match and Umar is getting a massive opportunity to steal his thunder. Umar should be the one to make concessions to make the match happen if someone has to.

If it's a main event on a fight night card or co main event on a PPV card, sure 5 rounds. If they are wanting to stack international fight week and want it to be the 1st or 2nd fight on a PPV card, then 3 rounds and Cory shouldn't let it be an issue. I would however like to see it be 5 rounds.
This is but a guess of course, it would seem like the UFC don't want it to be a main event. They probably like the fight but has said that it won't be main event anywhere.
So I'm guessing that is the place they're at now, where Cory wants a guarantee that it would still be 25 mins. While Umar probably isn't pushing for that at all.

This is but a guess of course, it would seem like the UFC don't want it to be a main event. They probably like the fight but has said that it won't be main event anywhere.
So I'm guessing that is the place they're at now, where Cory wants a guarantee that it would still be 25 mins. While Umar probably isn't pushing for that at all.
That's something they both need to deal with. Cory needs to accept he won't get 25 minutes every fight and needs to not rely on his cardio to take him to the deeper waters every fight, instead think about how he has 15 minutes to take his opponent out and Umar needs to know that the higher of quality opponents he faces, the more likely he'll be in a main event or two before he fights for the world title. Should he continue winning, that is. The fact he's related to Khabib though, I can see how that can weigh on his mind.

Cory says that he considered the offer, but would like to have a 5 round fight, seeing that Umar maybe doesn't have that cardio in him:

“That is what I asked for, as I feel like I’m a five-round fighter, I do better in five-round fights. And I was actually right now to schedule for a potential fight, that I'm like eyeballing just because
I'm playing with ideas. I'm like, man, if this is a 3 rounder the camp is gonna be a lot easier. The level of physical "getting beat up"-ness is gonna be less. I wouldn't need to do 7 - 8 rounds
of sparring because that would just mess up the pace in which I would fight. But yeah, he was definitely breathing hard, he definitely showed a vulnerability and that is not something you
want to do. But, I also think he fought at a pretty high pace in that fight."

"Who knows, maybe they could make us like a co-main event on international fight week and then make it 5 rounds. They can do that now so. And I don't know that I should go to the other
side of the world in order to fight? Like, I'm giving him a shot. That's what it feels like anyways. I am the guy giving him a platform to show that he deserves to fight for the belt next. And uh,
you know, I don't really love the idea of going halfway across the world so he can get that advantage. So that will be something I kind of try to not make happen."

However, he says that nothing is ever a deal breaker in his mind. So he could have a 3 round fight and in the middle east with the right circumstances:

"I do really well in 5 round fights, I'm experienced in those. I know what it's like to have to be that focused for 25 minutes. But a 3 round fight is not a big deal either, if anything I feel like I could
push the pace even more and against a guy like Umar, with the way he was breathing after his last fight, it will make everything he has to do in order to win a fight more challenging. I've already
done 10 weeks of a camp for him before he pulled out so I do understand that the style he presents is a tricky one. If you go in there thinking you're gonna fight like against a normal guy, then
you're gonna lose. So if you give me another 12 or 13 weeks now on top of that, to just get ready for him and the unique style, I'm going to figure it all out. As I feel like I was on the verge of
doing it last time."

Not once did Sandhagen say negotiations have "Stalled". Change your fake headline.

Umar doesn’t have a leg to stand on here , a significantly higher ranked opponent is offering him a very valuable opportunity considering that most people are apparently avoiding him , and of course he wants to climb into the title picture and you can’t do that without fighting 5 rounds
Umar didn't ask for a 3 round fight, in fact there is no evidence that this fight is even being discussed by the UFC.

Still irks me to this day when they put Condit vs Hendricks as a co-main to GSP/Diaz.

That was the no1 contender fight and Condit was coming on strong in that 3rd round and it would've been way different result if it was 5rds.
How does that fight hold up? I'm horribly biased against Hendricks and love Condit, so I don't trust my scoring, but I had it 29x28 Condit back then.

10 rounds should be the norm IMO
It’s an opportunity bro

Smart of Cory, and I completely agree with his rationale. Needs to be 5 rounds. If Umar is fit for the big leagues, he needs to prove it. I doubt little Umar can escape a real fight and keep up the clinging for 25 minutes.

If it's not a main event, it's not a fair condition when Merab etc have been having 3 rounders.

I swear Umar himself asked for 5 rounds as well, because he wants to know he's ready for a 5 round title fight.
Yeh: https://www.mmafighting.com/2024/3/...gen-fight-in-june-expects-title-shot-with-win

“If it’s not main [event], I want to fight five rounds. Because if my next fight is going to be for the title, I have to check myself and fight for five rounds. But anything different, it doesn’t matter. I want to fight five rounds. We’re going to see. For me, it doesn’t matter.”

They obviously want Cory to lose so they won't do it.

Back