Seattle's Crusade Against "The Rich": $47 million Head Tax is repealed a month after it was signed

From what I read it said the constitution states that property tax must be uniform and that the Supreme Court of the State in 1933 ruled that income tax was a form of property tax basically and that it must be uniform also.

Fair enough, but I meant that as just an obvious example of other ways to go about this. I'm sure their are other creative avenues to go about this with.

If Washington state wants to tax the rich, they should start with the 2 largest tax breaks in US U.S. history for boeing, one was in exchange for the 787, which Boeing renegged on by giving Washington state the first 787 variant which was meant to be phased out, and the 2nd was for 777X, which they have kept their word on so far, but have cut their employment by 13,000 jobs since getting that tax break.

Washington state implementing state income taxes is long overdue.

Why?

We have the number 1 economy ranked by state, and our deficit is more healthy than the majority of other states.

They wanted a huge multi-billion dollar mass transit project, and people voted for it.

Where is the need?

Perhaps Inslee and company should focus on housing costs if they want to help the poor.

Washington state implementing state income taxes is long overdue.

The right way would be putting a Washington state constitution amendment proposition on income tax on the next ballot and let the people of Washington state decide.

If I was a businessman making $240,000. And I had the idea to hire and expand and make more, I'm not gonna do it. I'd make sure as heck that I stay under $250,000.

Washington needs to enter the future & become an economic/industrial powerhouse like Oregon

This is so true. Look at how everyone left California and New York when they implemented their state taxes and then increased it. Does anyone even live in those states anymore.

Maybe they will stay we will see how it works out.

Also once they get an inch I bet they will not be happy and want more and more.

Why?

We have the number 1 economy ranked by state, and our deficit is more healthy than the majority of other states.

They wanted a huge multi-billion dollar mass transit project, and people voted for it.

Where is the need?

If their population continues to boom like it has in the past 7 years they are gonna need the extra money for fixing up the state to support a larger population. It's forward thinking.

If I was a businessman making $240,000. And I had the idea to hire and expand and make more, I'm not gonna do it. I'd make sure as heck that I stay under $250,000.
Well, you'd be a dumb ass since the tax only applies to income above $250k.

Lawsuit Says Seattle’s ‘Tax-the-Rich’ Measure Violates State Constitution
Supporters of income tax say a court ruling in favor of it will pave the way for state to follow
By Zusha Elinson | Aug. 9, 2017​

BN-UP923_38Qr6_M_20170809173707.jpg

A woman responds to a speaker at a Seattle City Council meeting about a new income tax on the wealthy on July 10. A lawsuit filed Wednesday alleges the measure violates restrictions on cities to impose such taxes. PHOTO: ELAINE THOMPSON/ASSOCIATED PRESS

A new tax-the-rich measure in Seattle was hit with its first legal challenge Wednesday.

The new Seattle measure, passed by the city council in July, would impose a 2.25% tax on any income over $250,000 or above $500,000 for couples filing jointly. It is expected to impact about 9,000, or 2%, of the city’s taxpayers.

A lawsuit filed by the Freedom Foundation, a conservative think tank, on behalf of 19 Seattle citizens, alleges the measure violates the state constitution as well as restrictions on cities to impose such taxes. A separate group called the Opportunity for All Coalition, founded by Seattle venture capitalist Matt McIlwain, filed a lawsuit later in the day.

Backers of the tax welcome the suits, because they believe a court ruling in favor of the tax will pave the way for a statewide income tax.

The battle in the state courts could lead to a fundamental change to the unique politics of Washington state, a liberal-leaning state with a longstanding aversion to taxing income.

A similar measure lost in the capital city of Olympia last year, and a tax-the-rich statewide initiative was voted down in 2010.

Washington is one of seven states in the country, including Florida, Texas and Wyoming, without an income tax.

The last time voters passed a graduated statewide income tax in Washington it was struck down by the state Supreme Court in 1933 as unconstitutional. The state constitution requires property be taxed at a uniform rate, which the court said applied to income in turning down the tax.

“This tax is illegal and we are confident an independent judiciary is going to uphold the law, is going to uphold 100 years of precedent,” said David Dewhirst, litigation counsel for the Freedom Foundation.

Seattle City Attorney Pete Holmes said he believes city will be able to persuade the state’s top court that the 1930s decision was in error. The state Supreme Court’s attention to current events in recent years, including a ruling that the state was failing to adequately to fund public schools, means the court could be more receptive to taking another look at the income tax issue, he said.

“We’ve acknowledged that this a tenuous legal path forward, but we nonetheless believe it’s viable,” said Mr. Holmes.

David DeWolf, a Gonzaga University School of Law professor emeritus, said the state’s highest court would now be more open to an income tax measure, provided it was statewide and applied to a broader swath of the population, not just a few wealthy residents.

But Mr. DeWolf predicted courts would be skeptical of the Seattle tax because of the restrictions on cities imposing taxes and because of how many people are exempted from paying.

“When you impose a tax it needs to be uniform,” he said.

The Seattle economy is booming with unemployment hovering around 3%, and the city has a balanced budget. Yet as housing prices have soared, homelessness has too.

The tax would bring in about $140 million every year for the city. The money would be used to fund affordable housing, education and transit services, and replace federal funding that might be lost because of federal budget cuts.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/lawsui...olates-state-constitution-1502315553?mod=e2fb
<JerryWWF>

If their population continues to boom like it has in the past 7 years they are gonna need the extra money for fixing up the state to support a larger population. It's forward thinking.

If people keep coming, it means the economy is still doing well, which will mean tax revenues will be up.

Well, you'd be a dumb ass since the tax only applies to income above $250k.
No I'm not a dumbass for thinking that. If I'm at 240, I'm making sure I stay under 250. Unless I clearly blow past 250.

No I'm not a dumbass for thinking that. If I'm at 240, I'm making sure I stay under 250. Unless I clearly blow past 250.
You're not getting it. You can make a million dollars and the first $250k is not being taxed. You would only be taxed at the next $750k, which comes out to $16,875. So in that case you would make $983,125 before federal taxes.

So it is always worth it to make more money.

You're not getting it. You can make a million dollars and the first $250k is not being taxed. You would only be taxed at the next $750k, which comes out to $16,875. So in that case you would make $983,125 before federal taxes.

So it is always worth it to make more money.
oh ok, I misunderstood

Lol...250k a year is not rich.

Implement a voluntary basis state tax there.
Let's see if Washington's liberals put their money where their mouth is.
They did in Norway after criticism from the left but the result was a meager $1250.

The labor party's leader, who also happens to be one of the richest politicians in Norway, has not paid one dime extra despite his critique against lowering taxes.

Washington need to cut the crap. They are nickel and diming the shit out of us. First they sneak in fucking toll lanes and they wind up making way more than they had anticipated. Then they somehow get car tabs raised. Then they add a tax on bottled water. Then in a year they are raising the gas tax another 5 cents. Yet, they are constantly bitching how they don't have enough money to fun the education system.

Washington ranks 33rd in overall taxes according to this:

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-highest-lowest-tax-burden/20494/

So asking high income earners to pay a little more to fund education and affordable housing doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing to do in an area with a strong local economy. Keep in mind I'm neither supporting or criticizing it, but if you look at the facts it's certainly nothing to lose your head over. If there is a real need to increase funding to education and housing it makes sense.

Washington ranks 33rd in overall taxes according to this:

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-highest-lowest-tax-burden/20494/

So asking high income earners to pay a little more to fund education and affordable housing doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing to do in an area with a strong local economy. Keep in mind I'm neither supporting or criticizing it, but if you look at the facts it's certainly nothing to lose your head over. If there is a real need to increase funding to education and housing it makes sense.

Once again, you've completely missed the point, and possibly the news headline itself.

Want to change the State's tax system? Do it legally.

Back