Self driving Uber car kills human.

JonesBones

Excuse my contraflow
@Steel
Reaction score
- Tempe police are investigating a deadly crash involving a self-driving Uber vehicle overnight.

The Uber vehicle was reportedly driving early Monday when a woman walking outside of the crosswalk was struck.

The woman was taken to the hospital where she died from her injuries.

Tempe Police says the vehicle was in autonomous mode at the time of the crash and a vehicle operator was
also behind the wheel.

https://www.abc15.com/news/arizona-...-driving-uber-car-involved-in-crash-overnight

Bad news for Uber regardless.

It's not good as the news will pick up on this (as will apparently this forum).

I'd be interested to know the number of deaths per kilometers driven autonomously v deaths per kilometers driven traditionally. One incident is an outlier and a lot more data would be needed but this would be the way to figure out if this is a big problem or not.

That car should not have killed someone. It was the wrong thing to do.

It's not bad news at all for them. A single death won't stand in the way of Uber and the 'powers that be' making money from this self driving craze.

This is inevitable.

If we try to roll out autonomous technology into environments not designed for autonomy it's going to happen.

We aren't going to have robot cars till we make robot highways to go with them.

There is nothing stopping this sort of event from occurring from a manned vehicle either. Our roads and pedestrian walkways just aren't very safe in most places.

I'd be interested to know the number of deaths per kilometers driven autonomously v deaths per kilometers driven traditionally. One incident is an outlier and a lot more data would be needed but this would be the way to figure out if this is a big problem or not.

Im sure once tuned they will be much superior to humans. Uber is going public this year. A company many people are ready to buy shares of. This isn't good.

Who could have seen this coming? It's still sad none the less.

It's not bad news at all for them. A single death won't stand in the way of Uber and the 'powers that be' making money from this self driving craze.

It is very bad fuckin news. If they had a stock it would be going through the floor. Come on. That is actually where I heard it. In a stock forum.

United Airlines killing that dog is a big deal too. It is a PR nightmare.

United Airlines had its third dog-related mishap this week, following up on the death of a puppy its flight attendants allegedly insisted be stuffed in an overhead bin and the accidental shipment of another dog to Japan by putting a third dog in the wrong plane.

LOL

The news will bury this. The tech dealers have the money now, and they have influence.

She wasn't in the crosswalk. So, she was jaywalking and got struck by a car?

I have sympathy for her, I guess - but how fast was the car going? Did she not look both ways before jaywalking?

I'd be interested in that too. If you watched Jurassic Park, you will know that there are no perfect systems.

However, big picture wise, computer errors are human errors since humans poorly programmed the computers to fuck up.

She wasn't in the crosswalk. So, she was jaywalking and got struck by a far?

I have sympathy for her, I guess - but how fast was the car going? Did she not look both ways before jaywalking?
<Huh2>

IIf you watched Jurassic Park, you will know that there are no perfect systems.

Hah! You mean the historical documents?

DDvQFWwXsAIlB53.jpg:large

What happens to the cars..?

Do they take them to a wrecking yard as punishment.

She wasn't in the crosswalk. So, she was jaywalking and got struck by a car?

I was actually wondering what bicycle rules are on the road like crosswalks.

Bicycle riders can get into trouble when they ride bikes as pedestrians. Most people are surprised to learn that once your feet leave the ground and push those pedals, cyclists have the same rules, rights and responsibilities as people driving cars. The California Vehicle Code views bicycles not as vehicles, but devices, and cyclists as drivers. Every person riding a bicycle upon a roadway has all the rights and is subject to all the provisions applicable to the driver of a vehicle. This means when you ride your bike, you are considered a driver of a device.

Hmmm. Okay. So what does this mean about riding in the crosswalk? Well, it means that you give up your rights as a pedestrian when you ride a bike in the crosswalk. When you pedal your bike across a crosswalk you do not have the right-of-way. That's just how the law is.

https://patch.com/california/alameda/bp--is-the-crosswalk-a-safe-way-for-a-bicycle-rider-t110edb3937

Actually I am not sure the person was on a bike. the video in the link said it was a person on a bike.

https://www.abc15.com/news/arizona-...-driving-uber-car-involved-in-crash-overnight

Actually it was a bike. It shows it in the video.

I would be willing to guarantee, even with very little effort or evidence, that the number of road hours that autonomous vehicles have been tested without incident far exceeds the amount of time it took humans to get into vehicles and start smashing each other up with them.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if the person on the bike did something erratic and the car didn't have enough time to adjust. Probably would have happened even with a human behind the wheel.

After the crash, the car said to the driver: Come with me if you want to live

Back