Serious Movie Discussion XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched The Witch last night and surprisingly I actually loved it, because I really don't like horror movies and normally don't go near them. But after hearing all the good reviews, and that this was a bit more of an art house sort of film that was barely horror I thought I'd give it a go. And I thought it was great, one reason I hate horror is the cheap 'jumps' that they use to scare people and I just don't enjoy that sort of thing...whereas The Witch was just filled with this feeling of dread the whole way through. This had a lot to do with the soundtrack which was extremely unsettling at times...it also didn't help that I watched it at around 12pm. It wasn't necessarily 'scary', but definitely eery and unsettling. One thing I loved about the film was the historical setting and accuracy, which was another reason I had wanted to watch it. It felt very real, and I loved that they even used speech patterns that were accurate to the time, then you have the costumes, their style of living and everything else. Well I'm a history student so I enjoyed the accuracy for it's own sake, but it also made the film more frightening in a sense, the puritans world is created so accurately which makes their fears seem more real too. That fear is a big reason that I liked it so much, unlike the sort of horror films I don't like (I think the last horror film I watched was Paranormal Activity and before that one of the Saw films) that rely on shock factor and gore, the fear in this film was more to do with religious terror and how that tears the family apart.

That Bordwell essay is far from ridiculous.
Just the fact I see nothing but examples from 50 years ago or more makes it irrelevant. I'm not interested in discussing formula to art films from a specific time period.

Just the fact I see nothing but examples from 50 years ago or more makes it irrelevant. I'm not interested in discussing formula to art films from a specific time period.
:rolleyes:

Bordwell's essay isn't irrelevant; it's essential. If you can't be bothered to read the entire essay so that you can come up w/ a better argument than "the films aren't contemporary enough" then you don't really have a leg to stand on in your argument that art films are not formulaic. Where do you think the filmmakers you mention got their influence from? If you can't come to terms w/ the connections between art cinema of old to the art cinema of new, then idk what to tell you.

Not sure what you're rolling your eyes at? If you want to discuss art films being formulaic, seems reasonable to me to include all art films, not a specific time period.
Do you honestly believe that they are mutually exclusive? Sheesh. It's really not that difficult to apply the theory in Bordwell's essay to art cinema of today. You should give it a try. There's a reason why Bordwell's essay is still essential reading in film studies in 2016, & will continue to be essential reading.

:rolleyes:

Bordwell's essay isn't irrelevant; it's essential. If you can't be bothered to read the entire essay so that you can come up w/ a better argument than "the films aren't contemporary enough" then you don't really have a leg to stand on in your argument that art films are not formulaic. Where do you think the filmmakers you mention got their influence from? If you can't come to terms w/ the connections between art cinema of old to the art cinema of new, then idk what to tell you.
How is it essential when it neglects anything outside of that time period it discusses? If you want to discuss how there is a formula used by Lynch which can be seen in Kurosawa films, then enlighten me. But an essay which only pertains to a specific time period is irrelevant in a general discussion when literally 50 years have passed.

I am planning on seeing Batman: The Killing Joke tonight. Anyone else going to check it out?

Not big on animation (although Mask of the Phantasm still has some nostalgia value) plus I've read that everybody is hating on it. @Dragonlordxxxxx, anything to add?

To give a more serious reply to this -- it almost seems like this statement takes the standpoint that movies are first-and-foremost watched as escapism and/or wish-fullfilment.

We're on the same wavelength, but I'd go beyond escapism/wish-fulfillment, which connote triviality/naivety, to affirmation. The relevant passage of Rand's that brought this into focus for me is the following, in which she talks about "thrillers" and why they're so awesome:

'What people seek in thrillers is the spectacle of man’s efficacy: of his ability to fight for his values and to achieve them. What they see is a condensed, simplified pattern, reduced to its essentials: a man fighting for a vital goal - overcoming one obstacle after another - facing terrible dangers and risks - persisting through an excruciating struggle - and winning. Far from suggesting an easy or “unrealistic” view of life, a thriller suggests the necessity of a difficult struggle; if the hero is “larger-than-life,” so are the villains and the dangers. An abstraction has to be “larger-than-life” - to encompass any concretes that individual men may be concerned with, each according to the scale of his own values, goals and ambition. The scale varies; the psychological relationships involved remain the same. The obstacles confronting an average man are, to him, as formidable as Bond’s adversaries; but what the image of Bond tells him is: “It can be done.”

What men find in the spectacle of the ultimate triumph of the good is the inspiration to fight for one’s own values in the moral conflicts of one’s own life. If the proclaimers of human impotence, the seekers of automatic security, protest that “life is not like that, happy endings are not guaranteed to man” - the answer is: a thriller is more realistic than such views of existence, it shows men the only road that can make any sort of happy ending possible.

Here, we come to an interesting paradox. It is only the superficiality of the Naturalists that classifies Romanticism as “an escape”; this is true only in the very superficial sense of contemplating a glamorous vision as a relief from the gray burden of “real-life” problems. But in the deeper, metaphysical-moral-psychological sense, it is Naturalism that represents an escape - an escape from choice, from values, from moral responsibility - and it is Romanticism that trains and equips man for the battles he has to face in reality.'

All of this sounds good to me. It sounds right. I can't reconcile it, though, with what you go on to talk about:

Film can ensnare you and make you like them through higher qualities than those [...] Like the ending of Chinatown for example. It's so fantastic because of how magnificently it encapsulates the movie. The concept "Chinatown" finally given a meaning. And it's done brilliantly through one, rather unspecific, sentance. Sure the ending is tragic and unjust. But it is simultaniously profoundly moving on a very deep level.

Shitty example aside (;)) I want to somehow hold on to the Randian idea of art-as-affirmation as well as this idea of art-as-expression. I don't want to go as far as Rand and argue that, if a film is not about man's triumph, then it can't be "good." That's bullshit. Citizen Kane is extraordinary. So is Raging Bull, and Barry Lyndon, and Once Upon a Time in America, and The Sand Pebbles, and a million other examples.

It would seem that I have two options (at least I can only see two at present). First, I could use Hannibal logic and say that movies like the ones I listed are valuable as negatives that allow people to see the positives more clearly. By providing "cautionary tales" and the like, they still serve a useful and beneficial purpose in - are "good" for - the human quest for happiness and betterment. Second, I could put a ceiling over how "good" movies like the ones I listed can be; I can appreciate them for the reasons you mentioned, but only to an extent, and not more than more optimistic and affirming movies.

Right now, I'm leaning more towards Hannibal logic :cool:

Once, during a peer review that I participated in the professor criticizes my texts for being to jargon-filed. I replied that it was revenge for all the jargon-filled textbooks he had us read during the elementary courses. The attack was super-effective. He laughed and fled the field.

giphy.gif

The very first thing I ever submitted for publication, I submitted on the recommendation of a professor who'd previously published something in that journal (and the guy who runs the journal was my professor's dissertation supervisor years before). I got rejected, but in a ruthless, borderline unprofessional fashion, so I responded in kind. Had a nice e-mail battle (totally burned that bridge but I'd do it again in a heartbeat) and one of the things he said was I had too much jargon. I responded by saying the stuff my professor wrote for him, including the essay he published in his journal, had ten times the jargon. The response I got: "Well that's different."

<23>

The joys of academia.

217.gif

See, you still don't get it. Shane's perfection isn't some subjective standpoint. It's not an opinion whose worth we can haggled over like merchants. It's empirical fact. As true as 2+2=4, or that sunset follows sunrise, or that we've always been at war with Eastasia! It's objective.

I am salty that you lied! Truth can be veiled through deceit and falsehood. But truth cannot be denied. Deep inside, all of you, every single poster, know that Shane is a 10/10 movie. It is merely a question if you admit that or not.

ywpPHgu.gif

I'm saying Marvel movies don't work because they think they can depend functionally on previous installments.

I think I'm going to spend the next few months working on my own shit, maybe picking up another TV show after I'm through with South Park, trying to stay disciplined working my way through Fight Pass, and then when I want to take a week or two off from full-on research mode, I'm going to go through every last fucking one of these Marvel movies in chronological order, come up with Venn Diagrams and bar graphs and pie charts, and then we'll see where the function's at.

giphy.gif

Seriously, though, I forgot to bring this up earlier, but the top dog film scholar David Bordwell has a blog, and since he's always loved dealing with storytelling mechanics, he recently put up a guest post by some dude in the UCLA film production department who talks about character arcs that I thought would be right up your alley: http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/2...the-character-arc-a-guest-post-by-rory-kelly/.

Nobody truly lays anything on the line, or loses anything with lasting effect.

I'd disagree with the first part but I'd have to agree with the second part. However, I'm not as pessimistic as you that this is something that is structurally unchangeable for Marvel movies.

If you have to explain it, you didn't feel it.

I get uncomfortable with gestures to the ineffable (even when they come from Bruce Lee :D).

This makes me chuckle, because it's kind of what I mean? I think if something is working poorly in terms of function, theme is... well, whatever you can think of, really. When it doesn't work on a story level, you find yourself explaining it thematically to join the dots.

To bring some of these threads together, are you in the subjective camp? It sounds like this is leading to a "If it works for you, it works and it can't be explained; if it doesn't work, it doesn't and no explanation can ever change that."

When I look back over my own experiences - which is always my first move even before I come in here to argue with all of you - this isn't the case. When we were arguing about Edge of Tomorrow, you opened my eyes to an aspect that didn't work for me initially but that, after your explanation, clicked. To go back to the Mad Max heresy, I still think the movie was a turd, but by you and Flemmy spending so much time elucidating the thematic goings-on, so many elements were brought into focus that I'd missed on my own, elements that then fed into my later reappraisal.

I'm not a fan of the "First watch - thumbs up or thumbs down - case closed" trajectory. Plus, as I mentioned, I'm not a fan of the ineffable as an answer.

It's the perfect example of what I was talking about in that very post. I think the ending works on every level that counts. It's just tonally clunky.

1432.gif

I don't know that I "support" it [...] On repeat watches, in fact, I like the choice

giphy.gif

Wait, which part of that scene? The whole thing from where you started it?

I might as well just ask if you support the existence of Death Proof, but if you support from where I started that scene to that stupid girl actually saying "gulp" like she was a fucking Looney Tunes character, then we're through.

The Wachowskis are great. All their stories function. The problem for modern viewers is the literally absent sense of cynicism in them. Every emotion is overt. A happy family is so happy it has a pet chimp they treat as a son. Love won't just save the day, it will resurrect! But it all works if you give in to their heart on sleeve approach.

I haven't watched anything of theirs beyond the Matrix movies, but on this description, it sounds like I'd like their newer stuff.

The Matrix is the monomyth itself, who you really are. The sequels are a complete shattering of the myth: The One is a construct like anything else.

This is why your above description sounded weird to me, because they sure as fuck abandoned the mythological trajectory in the Matrix movies.

I was comparing him to the Coens and Tarantino there, actually.

Comparing their shit from the last decade, Nolan is WAY out in front IMO.

If you care to summarize and simplify, that would be great. Because I went about halfway through that essay and everything presented was ridiculous. I didn't need a history of film that it started off with, it brings nothing to the debate of art films being formulaic, and then when it tried to find conventions shared with nothing but examples of films made 50 years ago or more, I had enough. If you aren't going to discuss Lynch, Noe, Refn, or any film makers more modern than Kurosawa and Fellini, than the sample size is too small and specific to be taken seriously.

First off, I just have to laugh at your response to reading a landmark piece of film scholarship by the premiere living film scholar.

I'll start by addressing the points you do have regarding what Bordwell had to say:

1) "It tried to find conventions shared with nothing but examples of films made 50 years ago or more"

The arthouse exploded in the 1950s and 1960s and that essay was written in 1979 (think about that: Bordwell was writing that while Bergman and Tarkovsky were active arthouse Gods). So, in the context of Bordwell's argument, that was actually very contemporary and relevant. From our current standpoint, it's still relevant because those movies and filmmakers are the progenitors of the Von Trier's and the Refn's of today.

2) "The sample size is too small."

Over the course of that essay, Bordwell invokes the films of Fellini, Bergman, Wajda, Truffaut, Polanski, Godard, Resnais, De Sica, Pasolini, Buñuel, Herzog, Antonioni, Ray, and even Dreyer. That's not a small sample size.

Moving beyond your points, for a summary of the essay, Bordwell is saying that the art movie is just as formulaic as any other mode of filmmaking, and he maintains that, by contrasting the art movie formula with the classical Hollywood formula, it becomes easier to recognize its particular formula.

In contrast to classical narrative filmmaking, where cause-and-effect logic generates a narrative that "projects its action through psychologically-defined, goal-oriented characters," art movies tend to loosen - if not outright reject - cause-and-effect logic. As Bordwell writes: "In L'Avventura, for example, Anna is lost and never found; in Breathless, the reasons for Patricia's betrayal of Michael remain unknown; in Bicycle Thieves, the future of Antonio and his son is not revealed."

However, Bordwell notes that it's not merely the presence of these devices that is important to note, but, paging Ricky, their function. The art cinema is, as Bordwell observes, "classical in its reliance upon psychological causation"; however, "whereas characters of classical narrative have clear-cut traits and objectives, the characters of the art cinema lack defined desires and goals. Characters may act for inconsistent reasons (Marcello in La Dolce Vita) or may question themselves about their goals (Borg in Wild Strawberries and the Knight in The Seventh Seal). Choices are vague or nonexistent. Hence a certain drifting, episodic quality to the art film's narrative. Characters may wander out and never reappear; events may lead to nothing. The Hollywood protagonist speeds directly toward the target; lacking a goal, the art film character slides passively from one situation to another."

This is not to say, as Bordwell is quick to point out, that the narrative trajectory of the art movie protagonist is completely random:

"It has a rough shape: a trip ... an idyll ... a search ... even the making of a film ... Especially apt for the broken teleology of the art film is the biography of the individual ... Thus, the art film's thematic of la condition humaine, its attempt to pronounce judgments on 'modern life' as a whole, proceeds from its formal needs: had the characters a goal, life would no longer seem so meaningless."

Further exploring the nature of the character arcs redolent of art movies, Bordwell posits:

"The art cinema is less concerned with action than reaction; it is a cinema of psychological effects in search of their causes. The dissection of feeling is often represented explicitly as therapy and cure ... but even when it is not, the forward flow of causation is braked and characters pause to seek the aetiology of their feelings. Characters often tell one another stories: autobiographical events (especially from childhood), fantasies, and dreams ... The hero becomes a supersensitive individual ... [who] often shudders on the edge of breakdown ... [and] unrelieved misery."

Moving from characters to directors, Bordwell then discusses the conventions that follow from the emphasis, both in production and in reception, on the auteur:

"The competent viewer watches the film expecting not order in the narrative but stylistic signatures in the narration: technical touches (Truffaut's freeze frames, Antonioni's pans) and obsessive motifs (Buñuel's anticlericalism, Fellini's shows, Bergman's character names) ... [as well as] foreground[ing] the narrational act by posing enigmas. In the classic detective tale, however, the puzzle is one of story: who did it? In the art cinema, the puzzle is one of plot: who is telling this story? how is this story being told? why is this story being told this way?"

Lastly, and most holistically, Bordwell discusses the solicitation of the art film given its MO:

"The art film is nonclassical in that it foregrounds deviations from the classical norm - there are certain gaps and problems. But these very deviations are placed, resituated as realism (in life things happen this way) or authorial commentary (the ambiguity is symbolic). Thus the art film solicits a particular reading procedure: Whenever confronted with a problem in causation, temporality, or spatiality, we first seek realistic motivation (is a character's mental state causing the uncertainty? Is life just leaving loose ends?). If we're thwarted, we next seek authorial motivation (what is being 'said' here? What significance justifies the violation of the norm?). Ideally, the film hesitates, suggesting character subjectivity, life's untidiness, and author's vision. Whatever is excessive in one category must belong to another. Uncertainties persist but are understood as such, as obvious uncertainties, so to speak. Put crudely, the slogan of the art cinema might be: 'When in doubt, read for maximum ambiguity' ... A banal remark of the 1960s, that such films make you leave the theater thinking, is not far from the mark: the ambiguity, the play of thematic interpretation, must not be halted at the film's close. Furthermore, the pensive ending acknowledges the author as a peculiarly humble intelligence; s/he knows that life is more complex than art can ever be, and the only way to respect this complexity is to leave causes dangling [and] questions unanswered. With the open and arbitrary ending, the art film reasserts that the ambiguity is the dominant principle of intelligibility, that we are to watch less for the tale than the telling, that life lacks the neatness of art and this art knows it."

You can supply your own examples if you don't know/like Bordwell's, but this is how the art film works. They're not unique snowflakes in comparison to the sausage machine that is Hollywood. AIl cinema - indeed, all storytelling - comes down to formula and function.

Not really [...] Big difference between Eraserhead and Stalker.

What's so different about the gap between Eraserhead and Stalker compared to the gap between Commando and Out for Justice? Or Scream and The Collector? Or Pretty Woman and The Proposal? Can you actually back this up or is it just a guiding assumption that you take for granted based on the sedimented dogma of artistic elitism?

I also vehemently disagree with your point that reacting outside of the artist's terms is an insult to them, and that interpretation is pretty straight forward. Refn would strongly disagree with that as well, as a defined example of an artist who has stated making a viewer feel any way is important to him, no matter what that feeling may be.

You have perfectly rendered the paradox here. The way you respond to Refn's films is perfectly in line with the way he wants people to respond to his films. You are being faithful to the author's intention. As you should be. As we all should be.

That Bordwell essay is far from ridiculous.

Take note, JB: An art movie guy is backing Bordwell :cool:

I understand Bullitt the Fury Road Hater's point. Yes, these are just nostalgic trips. I suppose my issue is: shouldn't we expect more?

Have you never gotten more than just nostalgia? The Green Hornet was off the charts nostalgia for me, to the point where I was fucking jumping up and down in my seat in the theater and with wood harder than is possible with any amount of Viagra, but I also enjoyed what they did with the material, which was a pleasant surprise. My uncle also always goes on about how, as a lifelong Star Trek fan, he is beside himself with how much he's loving what they're doing with his beloved material in these new movies, including some of the tweaks they've made.

Is it possible that you and europe are just immediately face-palming the second you get even a whiff of nostalgia rather than following its path through the new storyworld?

How is it essential when it neglects anything outside of that time period it discusses? If you want to discuss how there is a formula used by Lynch which can be seen in Kurosawa films, then enlighten me. But an essay which only pertains to a specific time period is irrelevant in a general discussion when literally 50 years have passed.
How about you actually read it & then get back to us.

Do you honestly believe that they are mutually exclusive? Sheesh. It's really not that difficult to apply the theory in Bordwell's essay to art cinema of today. You should give it a try.
So summarize the theory and how it does pertain to modern art cinema. I don't plan on reading the whole thing when it's very narrow, so enlighten me as to how Kurosawa and Lynch follow the same formula if you are for that argument.

I provided the CliffsNotes. And hey, why don't you chime in more when I'm rambling about academia? If you like that Bordwell essay, have you read his books on Dreyer, Ozu, or Eisenstein?

Or how about you understand that I have better things to do then read an essay which will not sway me at all and I already deem irrelevant when it makes no connections itself to any art film made within the last 50 years?

If you have an argument to present, do so.

I have better things to do then read an essay which will not sway me at all

Not only is this the definition of close-mindedness - which should be anathema to a fan of the arthouse - it's also hypocritical. Why does Flemmy have to watch a video explaining Only God Forgives while you don't have to read an essay explaining the art film formula? And, mind you, Bordwell likes the arthouse. Hell, I like a lot of the arthouse. It's just common sense to recognize that there's a formula to it the same as anything else.

If you have an argument to present, do so.

It's Bordwell who has the argument that you're not willing to listen to for fear it shatters your close-minded illusions about the arthouse. In any event, please consult my post above where I outlined Bordwell's argument for your convenience.

I think I'm going to spend the next few months working on my own shit, maybe picking up another TV show after I'm through with South Park, trying to stay disciplined working my way through Fight Pass, and then when I want to take a week or two off from full-on research mode, I'm going to go through every last fucking one of these Marvel movies in chronological order, come up with Venn Diagrams and bar graphs and pie charts, and then we'll see where the function's at.

I'd like to suggest you watch them over a few months, actually. If you can't, no biggie.

Seriously, though, I forgot to bring this up earlier, but the top dog film scholar David Bordwell has a blog, and since he's always loved dealing with storytelling mechanics, he recently put up a guest post by some dude in the UCLA film production department who talks about character arcs that I thought would be right up your alley: http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/2...the-character-arc-a-guest-post-by-rory-kelly/.

Fuck yeah. Nice one.

I'd disagree with the first part but I'd have to agree with the second part. However, I'm not as pessimistic as you that this is something that is structurally unchangeable for Marvel movies.

I certainly think they could change. I'm just a little wary right now. It's the money that gets me. I can afford to see all their movies but it's this feeling they're playing my ass I can't shake.

This last couple months has more been for therapeutic effect, letting this shit out.

To bring some of these threads together, are you in the subjective camp? It sounds like this is leading to a "If it works for you, it works and it can't be explained; if it doesn't work, it doesn't and no explanation can ever change that."

If somebody presents a possibility within a film's narrative that I'm newly convinced I missed, I absolutely am open to revisiting. Fuck, it's what I live by.

I might as well just ask if you support the existence of Death Proof, but if you support from where I started that scene to that stupid girl actually saying "gulp" like she was a fucking Looney Tunes character, then we're through.

I think Death Proof is Tarantino's worst, but better than almost anything most people make.

I wasn't a big fan of the "gulp" thing, but it's Mary Elizabeth Winstead in a cheerleading costume, so I can deal with it.

I'm kidding. I had a problem with what the fuck the scene was for. Wasn't a fan of her friends leaving her with that guy because lols.

I haven't watched anything of theirs beyond the Matrix movies, but on this description, it sounds like I'd like their newer stuff.

Fine, but I refuse to be blamed for the consequences.

I believe you will come around to how I feel about this one day.

Is it possible that you and europe are just immediately face-palming the second you get even a whiff of nostalgia rather than following its path through the new storyworld?

I think you know me well enough now to be sure that this isn't the case. I don't think nostalgia is the problem. And I don't mind it in and of itself. I just don't like seeing it used for story beats, emotional reveals etc.

EDIT: Here's a nice example of effective use of nostalgia:

In fact, I'd say that in movies where nostalgia is used as a crutch, there's often a host of other identifiable functional issues also secondary to poor writing - I await your reaction to The Force Awakens, which I believe encapsulates the problem with remakes today.

Last edited:
Not only is this the definition of close-mindedness - which should be anathema to a fan of the arthouse - it's also hypocritical. Why does Flemmy have to watch a video explaining Only God Forgives while you don't have to read an essay explaining the art film formula? And, mind you, Bordwell likes the arthouse. Hell, I like a lot of the arthouse. It's just common sense to recognize that there's a formula to it the same as anything else.

It's Bordwell who has the argument that you're not willing to listen to for fear it shatters your close-minded illusions about the arthouse. In any event, please consult my post above where I outlined Bordwell's argument for your convenience.
No. I gave the essay a chance. You're trying to relate pointing him in the direction of a video that would save me time from reiterating points I have many times, and that does it more concisely than I can, to you linking me to an essay which is MORE to read than if you just make your own point, and only focuses on a certain time period rather than relating those films and directors and ones that have come in the past 50 years? Yeah just a bit of a difference.....

Are you going to keep telling me Bordwell is all knowing, or are you going to point out formulas used in Kurosawa films that can be seen in Lynch, Noe, Refn, etc?

EDIT ill look at your above post.

Not big on animation (although Mask of the Phantasm still has some nostalgia value) plus I've read that everybody is hating on it. @Dragonlordxxxxx, anything to add?

We're on the same wavelength, but I'd go beyond escapism/wish-fulfillment, which connote triviality/naivety, to affirmation. The relevant passage of Rand's that brought this into focus for me is the following, in which she talks about "thrillers" and why they're so awesome:

'What people seek in thrillers is the spectacle of man’s efficacy: of his ability to fight for his values and to achieve them. What they see is a condensed, simplified pattern, reduced to its essentials: a man fighting for a vital goal - overcoming one obstacle after another - facing terrible dangers and risks - persisting through an excruciating struggle - and winning. Far from suggesting an easy or “unrealistic” view of life, a thriller suggests the necessity of a difficult struggle; if the hero is “larger-than-life,” so are the villains and the dangers. An abstraction has to be “larger-than-life” - to encompass any concretes that individual men may be concerned with, each according to the scale of his own values, goals and ambition. The scale varies; the psychological relationships involved remain the same. The obstacles confronting an average man are, to him, as formidable as Bond’s adversaries; but what the image of Bond tells him is: “It can be done.”

What men find in the spectacle of the ultimate triumph of the good is the inspiration to fight for one’s own values in the moral conflicts of one’s own life. If the proclaimers of human impotence, the seekers of automatic security, protest that “life is not like that, happy endings are not guaranteed to man” - the answer is: a thriller is more realistic than such views of existence, it shows men the only road that can make any sort of happy ending possible.

Here, we come to an interesting paradox. It is only the superficiality of the Naturalists that classifies Romanticism as “an escape”; this is true only in the very superficial sense of contemplating a glamorous vision as a relief from the gray burden of “real-life” problems. But in the deeper, metaphysical-moral-psychological sense, it is Naturalism that represents an escape - an escape from choice, from values, from moral responsibility - and it is Romanticism that trains and equips man for the battles he has to face in reality.'

All of this sounds good to me. It sounds right. I can't reconcile it, though, with what you go on to talk about:

Shitty example aside (;)) I want to somehow hold on to the Randian idea of art-as-affirmation as well as this idea of art-as-expression. I don't want to go as far as Rand and argue that, if a film is not about man's triumph, then it can't be "good." That's bullshit. Citizen Kane is extraordinary. So is Raging Bull, and Barry Lyndon, and Once Upon a Time in America, and The Sand Pebbles, and a million other examples.

It would seem that I have two options (at least I can only see two at present). First, I could use Hannibal logic and say that movies like the ones I listed are valuable as negatives that allow people to see the positives more clearly. By providing "cautionary tales" and the like, they still serve a useful and beneficial purpose in - are "good" for - the human quest for happiness and betterment. Second, I could put a ceiling over how "good" movies like the ones I listed can be; I can appreciate them for the reasons you mentioned, but only to an extent, and not more than more optimistic and affirming movies.

Right now, I'm leaning more towards Hannibal logic :cool:

giphy.gif

The very first thing I ever submitted for publication, I submitted on the recommendation of a professor who'd previously published something in that journal (and the guy who runs the journal was my professor's dissertation supervisor years before). I got rejected, but in a ruthless, borderline unprofessional fashion, so I responded in kind. Had a nice e-mail battle (totally burned that bridge but I'd do it again in a heartbeat) and one of the things he said was I had too much jargon. I responded by saying the stuff my professor wrote for him, including the essay he published in his journal, had ten times the jargon. The response I got: "Well that's different."

<23>

The joys of academia.

217.gif

ywpPHgu.gif

giphy.gif

I get uncomfortable with gestures to the ineffable (even when they come from Bruce Lee :D).

When I look back over my own experiences - which is always my first move even before I come in here to argue with all of you - this isn't the case. When we were arguing about Edge of Tomorrow, you opened my eyes to an aspect that didn't work for me initially but that, after your explanation, clicked. To go back to the Mad Max heresy, I still think the movie was a turd, but by you and Flemmy spending so much time elucidating the thematic goings-on, so many elements were brought into focus that I'd missed on my own, elements that then fed into my later reappraisal.

I'm not a fan of the "First watch - thumbs up or thumbs down - case closed" trajectory. Plus, as I mentioned, I'm not a fan of the ineffable as an answer.

1432.gif

giphy.gif

This is why your above description sounded weird to me, because they sure as fuck abandoned the mythological trajectory in the Matrix movies.

First off, I just have to laugh at your response to reading a landmark piece of film scholarship by the premiere living film scholar.

I'll start by addressing the points you do have regarding what Bordwell had to say:

1) "It tried to find conventions shared with nothing but examples of films made 50 years ago or more"

The arthouse exploded in the 1950s and 1960s and that essay was written in 1979 (think about that: Bordwell was writing that while Bergman and Tarkovsky were active arthouse Gods). So, in the context of Bordwell's argument, that was actually very contemporary and relevant. From our current standpoint, it's still relevant because those movies and filmmakers are the progenitors of the Von Trier's and the Refn's of today.

2) "The sample size is too small."

Over the course of that essay, Bordwell invokes the films of Fellini, Bergman, Wajda, Truffaut, Polanski, Godard, Resnais, De Sica, Pasolini, Buñuel, Herzog, Antonioni, Ray, and even Dreyer. That's not a small sample size.

Moving beyond your points, for a summary of the essay, Bordwell is saying that the art movie is just as formulaic as any other mode of filmmaking, and he maintains that, by contrasting the art movie formula with the classical Hollywood formula, it becomes easier to recognize its particular formula.

In contrast to classical narrative filmmaking, where cause-and-effect logic generates a narrative that "projects its action through psychologically-defined, goal-oriented characters," art movies tend to loosen - if not outright reject - cause-and-effect logic. As Bordwell writes: "In L'Avventura, for example, Anna is lost and never found; in Breathless, the reasons for Patricia's betrayal of Michael remain unknown; in Bicycle Thieves, the future of Antonio and his son is not revealed."

However, Bordwell notes that it's not merely the presence of these devices that is important to note, but, paging Ricky, their function. The art cinema is, as Bordwell observes, "classical in its reliance upon psychological causation"; however, "whereas characters of classical narrative have clear-cut traits and objectives, the characters of the art cinema lack defined desires and goals. Characters may act for inconsistent reasons (Marcello in La Dolce Vita) or may question themselves about their goals (Borg in Wild Strawberries and the Knight in The Seventh Seal). Choices are vague or nonexistent. Hence a certain drifting, episodic quality to the art film's narrative. Characters may wander out and never reappear; events may lead to nothing. The Hollywood protagonist speeds directly toward the target; lacking a goal, the art film character slides passively from one situation to another."

This is not to say, as Bordwell is quick to point out, that the narrative trajectory of the art movie protagonist is completely random:

"It has a rough shape: a trip ... an idyll ... a search ... even the making of a film ... Especially apt for the broken teleology of the art film is the biography of the individual ... Thus, the art film's thematic of la condition humaine, its attempt to pronounce judgments on 'modern life' as a whole, proceeds from its formal needs: had the characters a goal, life would no longer seem so meaningless."

Further exploring the nature of the character arcs redolent of art movies, Bordwell posits:

"The art cinema is less concerned with action than reaction; it is a cinema of psychological effects in search of their causes. The dissection of feeling is often represented explicitly as therapy and cure ... but even when it is not, the forward flow of causation is braked and characters pause to seek the aetiology of their feelings. Characters often tell one another stories: autobiographical events (especially from childhood), fantasies, and dreams ... The hero becomes a supersensitive individual ... [who] often shudders on the edge of breakdown ... [and] unrelieved misery."

Moving from characters to directors, Bordwell then discusses the conventions that follow from the emphasis, both in production and in reception, on the auteur:

"The competent viewer watches the film expecting not order in the narrative but stylistic signatures in the narration: technical touches (Truffaut's freeze frames, Antonioni's pans) and obsessive motifs (Buñuel's anticlericalism, Fellini's shows, Bergman's character names) ... [as well as] foreground[ing] the narrational act by posing enigmas. In the classic detective tale, however, the puzzle is one of story: who did it? In the art cinema, the puzzle is one of plot: who is telling this story? how is this story being told? why is this story being told this way?"

Lastly, and most holistically, Bordwell discusses the solicitation of the art film given its MO:

"The art film is nonclassical in that it foregrounds deviations from the classical norm - there are certain gaps and problems. But these very deviations are placed, resituated as realism (in life things happen this way) or authorial commentary (the ambiguity is symbolic). Thus the art film solicits a particular reading procedure: Whenever confronted with a problem in causation, temporality, or spatiality, we first seek realistic motivation (is a character's mental state causing the uncertainty? Is life just leaving loose ends?). If we're thwarted, we next seek authorial motivation (what is being 'said' here? What significance justifies the violation of the norm?). Ideally, the film hesitates, suggesting character subjectivity, life's untidiness, and author's vision. Whatever is excessive in one category must belong to another. Uncertainties persist but are understood as such, as obvious uncertainties, so to speak. Put crudely, the slogan of the art cinema might be: 'When in doubt, read for maximum ambiguity' ... A banal remark of the 1960s, that such films make you leave the theater thinking, is not far from the mark: the ambiguity, the play of thematic interpretation, must not be halted at the film's close. Furthermore, the pensive ending acknowledges the author as a peculiarly humble intelligence; s/he knows that life is more complex than art can ever be, and the only way to respect this complexity is to leave causes dangling [and] questions unanswered. With the open and arbitrary ending, the art film reasserts that the ambiguity is the dominant principle of intelligibility, that we are to watch less for the tale than the telling, that life lacks the neatness of art and this art knows it."

You can supply your own examples if you don't know/like Bordwell's, but this is how the art film works. They're not unique snowflakes in comparison to the sausage machine that is Hollywood. AIl cinema - indeed, all storytelling - comes down to formula and function.

What's so different about the gap between Eraserhead and Stalker compared to the gap between Commando and Out for Justice? Or Scream and The Collector? Or Pretty Woman and The Proposal? Can you actually back this up or is it just a guiding assumption that you take for granted based on the sedimented dogma of artistic elitism?

You have perfectly rendered the paradox here. The way you respond to Refn's films is perfectly in line with the way he wants people to respond to his films. You are being faithful to the author's intention. As you should be. As we all should be.

Take note, JB: An art movie guy is backing Bordwell :cool:

Have you never gotten more than just nostalgia? The Green Hornet was off the charts nostalgia for me, to the point where I was fucking jumping up and down in my seat in the theater and with wood harder than is possible with any amount of Viagra, but I also enjoyed what they did with the material, which was a pleasant surprise. My uncle also always goes on about how, as a lifelong Star Trek fan, he is beside himself with how much he's loving what they're doing with his beloved material in these new movies, including some of the tweaks they've made.

lol you are a pretentious fucker aren't you? Star Wars is highly revered and I hate it, you gonna laugh at me for that too? I don't give a fuck who Bordwell is, this was suppose to be a discussion on how you think art films are formulaic. Instead of presenting your own argument, you resort to an essay which uses a sample size to make a point. Are you unable to do so yourself?

Now lets go over your retarded bullet points:

It was written in 1979 and that was contemporary for the author. Ummmm.....ok? So again, are we gonna discuss this topic as a whole, or just about films from 50 years ago? Their is a difference between influence and following a structure.

That is a sample size lol. It excludes EVERYTHING made in the last 50 years. So by definition, it is only a sample of the spectrum.

The character relation is relevant, but can easily be disputed. PLENTY of art films have characters with clearly defined motives and goals.

To summarize on the rest of the points without going too in depth, its a solid read and fair interpretation of what constitutes a categorization of "art film". But do you really think I can't find films which deviate from what hes saying?

This is exactly why I had no interest in a discussion which all examples are from long ago. Everything EVOLVES. Hell, "art film' has become a loose interpretation. Pulp Fiction can easily be considered an art film for its time before the Tarantino style was copied by others and translated into an artistic uniqueness through follow up films by the man himself. There was ZERO vagueness in that film though.

Whats the difference? Ummm completely different genres sums up the differences pretty accurately. You are asking whats so different between two horror films, films that fall under the same intent through genre, and two COMPLETELY different films in every aspect other than it intellectually engaging the viewer. EDIT maybe not completely different, thats strong, but yeah they are obviously thematically different as opposed to two horror films.

Last edited:
I'm already nine seasons in on South Park and I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually laughed out loud. It's more about how clever the satire is. For some reason, they didn't hit the same level of hilarity in South Park that they hit in their movies. As for Family Guy, that's the one that's gut-bustingly hilarious. South Park barely even registers on the laugh scale for me whereas I couldn't possibly hope to count the number of times I've been absolutely destroyed by something in Family Guy.

Funnily enough the writing becomes much more satirical in the tenth season

Family Guy =

South Park =

I want them to finish getting the Pancrase backlog up and then I want to see Rings. Everything else is just gravy. Those two are the ones I'm dying to see in full.

WSOF-GC is doing a fight pass with much of the DEEP library. Should be great also. I can't even find the KOK tournaments online anymore (spare some MMA torrent sites.) and my Rings DVD's are all scratched up.

Correction, what a genius.

http://www.livescience.com/20713-genius-madness-connected.html

See, you still don't get it. Shane's perfection isn't some subjective standpoint. It's not an opinion whose worth we can haggled over like merchants. It's empirical fact. As true as 2+2=4, or that sunset follows sunrise, or that we've always been at war with Eastasia! It's objective.

I am salty that you lied! Truth can be veiled through deceit and falsehood. But truth cannot be denied. Deep inside, all of you, every single poster, know that Shane is a 10/10 movie. It is merely a question if you admit that or not.

:p

You're a 1984 fan too... :D

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever" ... this is where Shane fell short, the bad guys did very little stomping.

My dad said he really enjoyed Shane, the book, he read it years ago... he barely remembered the movie though... thought you might find that interesting.

I was pretty much kidding about that Romeo and Juliet stuff, although I do think a great movie could be made using the first half of that story and then turning it into a "12 Angry Men" style debate about rights and privilege.

Last edited:
I watched The Witch last night and surprisingly I actually loved it, because I really don't like horror movies and normally don't go near them. But after hearing all the good reviews, and that this was a bit more of an art house sort of film that was barely horror I thought I'd give it a go. And I thought it was great, one reason I hate horror is the cheap 'jumps' that they use to scare people and I just don't enjoy that sort of thing...whereas The Witch was just filled with this feeling of dread the whole way through. This had a lot to do with the soundtrack which was extremely unsettling at times...it also didn't help that I watched it at around 12pm. It wasn't necessarily 'scary', but definitely eery and unsettling. One thing I loved about the film was the historical setting and accuracy, which was another reason I had wanted to watch it. It felt very real, and I loved that they even used speech patterns that were accurate to the time, then you have the costumes, their style of living and everything else. Well I'm a history student so I enjoyed the accuracy for it's own sake, but it also made the film more frightening in a sense, the puritans world is created so accurately which makes their fears seem more real too. That fear is a big reason that I liked it so much, unlike the sort of horror films I don't like (I think the last horror film I watched was Paranormal Activity and before that one of the Saw films) that rely on shock factor and gore, the fear in this film was more to do with religious terror and how that tears the family apart.

Agree with a lot of this, but still found it meh at times.

I've reached a point in my PhD where what I'm going to write will either be all Bruce Lee (except that'll leave a lot of unexplored movie territory) or it'll be broader with just a chunk about Bruce (except that'll leave a lot of unexplored Bruce territory). Right now, I'm leaning towards the latter, and if that's what I end up doing, I'm for sure bringing in Inception. That movie has been on my mind a lot lately as like the ultimate cinematic response to skepticism. People have often bashed it as being pseudo-intellectual, but I think anyone who trots that out just proves that they're a pseudo-intellectual, because Inception is as seriously and profoundly intellectual as movies get.

Plus it's one of the coolest fucking movies ever.

See, i love Inception, and agree with everything you're saying.

I don't know where we go wrong with Mad Max, because it's the very same kind of intellectual, cool as fuck kind of movie to me.

I know you and Flemmy are cool, and I don't mean to open up old wounds, but I'm always curious why, if art is inherently subjective, the arthouse crowd always asserts as an objective fact that "Marvel movies" are "simple" and "generic as fuck." In these types of "mainstream vs arthouse" debates, the arthouse crowd always hides behind the subjectivity of interpretation while at the same time using as ammunition the objectivity of the (simple/generic/stupid/awful) mainstream.

Was that Bullitt i just saw taking my side in an artsy fartsy debate??

how much do you really buy the "art is subjective" thing? Honestly, in my own research, I've been toying with the idea of going full steam ahead and arguing that art is not subjective, neither in terms of interpretation (determining what a film means) nor evaluation (determining whether or not a film is good).

I can back objective interpretation. There is a finite amount of things to say about what a movie means before you interpret yourself out of the conversation.

Evaluation...can't back that.

Evaluation, though, is where I always get stuck. How can I - if I can at all - move from interpretive objectivity to evaluative objectivity? At this point, I'm confident denying that evaluation is irrational; there can plainly be more to an evaluative debate than "I like it because I like it." In fact, if that's all you can contribute, then you're simply not providing an evaluation. In order to evaluate something, we always adduce criteria. It's good because such-and-such. There's always something we refer to when we make a good/bad claim. But how objective - if it's objective at all - is that stuff we refer to?

This is the kind of shit I spend my days thinking about :D

I feel like it sounds even sillier to give a reason other than "because i like it."

It would obviously be sillier for the reason to be "because so-and-so likes it."

But trying to ascribe value to the minutiae of art more specifically...i think it might get even sillier yet.

Maybe we're talking about Inception. Maybe we're specifically talking about the van in free fall, it being in slow motion, and that it is creating tension and desperation for us in the dream levels below it. What can we say objectively about it? Slow motion is objectively good for creating tension and desperation? That truth will fall apart from example to example. There's going to be people who disagree with us on the Inception example itself.

"I just like it" seems to be the most sane and objective thing to say IMO.

"I just like it" works for me right now because I don't have a vocabulary to explain why I like what I like in a satisfactory manner.

But surely there are such reasons, or at least surely some of those reasons are communicable. Expertise should be about finding the words for those, as much as peeling apart the formal elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back