SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's Pick the Week 125 Movie!

Sherdog Movie Club: Let's Pick the Week 125 Movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me or europe1 a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

jei's Note: I AM THE INTERIM CAPTAIN NOW! Let's pour one out for Burt Reynolds this week, everybody. And we'll skip over Smokey and the Bandit, Longest Yard, Deliverance or Boogie Nights. I wanted to pick films from his library that maybe not everyone has seen, and tried to differentiate by genre.

Here are our candidates!

White Lightning (1973)
Director: Joseph Sargent
Stars: Burt Reynolds, Ned Beatty, Bo Hopkins
Genre: Action
Runtime: 101 minutes
Premise: An ex con teams up with federal agents to help them with breaking up a moonshine ring.
Why: One of Sterling Archer's favorite films, along with its sequel Gator.

Hooper (1978)
Director: Hal Needham
Stars: Burt Reynolds, Jan-Michael Vincent, Sally Field
Genre: Action/Comedy
Runtime: 99 minutes
Premise: Hollywood aging stuntman Sonny Hooper wants to prove that he's still got what it takes to be a great professional in this risky and under-recognized line of work.
Why: A true love letter to Hollywood stuntmen, I wanted to be a stuntman when I grew up because of this movie. I changed my mind later though.

The Cannonball Run (1981)
Director: Hal Needham again
Stars: Burt Reynolds, Roger Moore, Farrah Fawcett, and so many more
Genre: Comedy
Runtime: 95 minutes
Premise: A wide variety of eccentric competitors participate in a wild and illegal cross-country road race. However, the eccentric entrants will do anything to win the road race, including low-down, dirty tricks.
Why: Classic zany chase movie, featuring Burt Reynolds playing a quasi-Bandit character vs Roger Moore playing a quasi-Bond character. As a longtime Bond and Bandit fan, this one always made me happy.

Sharky's Machine (1981)
Director: Burt Reynolds himself
Stars: Burt Reynolds, Vittorio Gassman, Brian Keith
Genre: Drama/Thriller
Runtime: 122 minutes
Premise: Tom Sharky is demoted to vice after a bust goes terribly wrong. He and his team stumble across a mob murder tied to prostitution and government.
Why: Unlike the others, this one is a lot darker but easily is the most plot-heavy of them all. Can't have the light without the dark, right?

jei's Top Theme for this week is "Top Five Memorable Scenes!"
That is, scenes from films that you can still picture in your head right now.

And with that handled, I now relinquish control of the SMC back to europe1, and now my watch has ended. It's been fun.

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @FrontNakedChoke @AndersonsFoot @Tufts @Coolthulu @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @ArtemV @Bullitt68 @Deus Ex Machina @HenryFlower @Rimbaud82

And without further dudes, I would like to welcome @HenryFlower to the Sherdog Movie Club! Everyone give him a hand or something!

henryflower.jpg

Also, in memory of Burt Reynolds...

HiNNGGGGGGGGGG

Cannonball Run? Not bad, but how about The Gumball Rally, the movie that cannonball copied.

Also, in memory of Burt Reynolds...

giphy.gif

Great work @jei. When @sickc0d3r and I were plotting a Burt week we were 100% on Hooper and Sharky's Machine. I think Gator was our third and we didn't have a fourth.

Great work @jei. When @sickc0d3r and I were plotting a Burt week we were 100% on Hooper and Sharky's Machine. I think Gator was our third and we didn't have a fourth.
It was a tossup between Cannonball Run and The End for the fourth, but what made me put the former on the list was that I have it on DVD.

It was a tossup between Cannonball Run and The End for the fourth, but what made me put the former on the list was that I have it on DVD.

The End went through my mind a few weeks ago after swimming out too far and struggling to get back to shore. :eek::D You made the right choice.

My top five memorable scenes I can still picture now:

1) Chestburster scene from Alien
2) Gomer Pyle's 7.62 millimeter full metal jacket scene from Full Metal Jacket
3) Frank gets resurrected scene from Hellraiser
4) Leon getting the Voigt-Kampff test from Blade Runner
5) Everyone on the fire truck's ladder falling off from It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

HM: Since I only wanted to pick one from a movie, "Tears in Rain" also from Blade Runner was also up there, the Heart Rip scene from Temple of Doom, and Vader revealing that he's Luke's father from Empire Strikes Back (I can still hear Luke's exact scream in my head)
DM: The Power Rangers go skydiving to the tune of "Higher Ground" by the RHCP from the MMPR movie, Jar Jar gets electrocuted by the power couplings on the podracer from Phantom Menace

My buddy who uses the handle "Yojimbo" has his five:

1) the ending to the original halloween, when michael myers gets shot, falls off a balcony, they go to look and he's not there and the theme starts playing
2) the darth vader reveal
3) the car chase through the mall in blues brothers
4) All of Ghostbusters
5) the car chase from matrix reloaded - the big one, the highway

I've seen all these films, not because I'm a huge Burt Reynolds fan but because I grew up during a time when Burt was actually pretty big. Good picks @jei , I'll have to consider which I would like to see again. These are classic Burt films.

And in more good news, I would like to welcome back @Rimbaud82 back to the SMC!

Gotta run for a little bit so this was all I could muster for the moment.

460179.jpg

My Top 5 Memorable Scenes......

The Happening:

Showdown in Little Tokyo:

Bronson:

True Romance:

Tombstone:

@Rimbaud82 , welcome back, I want to shake your hand, but there is still only one way into this club.

th

hay booiiz

ps i’m not wearing pants rn

6595q.gif

Internet issues fixed! Only took eight days. Thanks to jei for handling the ropes and luring two new members into the fold!

Now to take a look at the Stalker thread and see what I missed... 110 FREAKING REPLIES!!? YOU PEOPLE TALKED THAT MUCH ABOUT STALKER!!!?

Uhh... I'm going to need some more time before I'm ready to get my replies out. :D

I've only seen one of these films, and honestly... I really don't want it to win. I found it pretty damn bad.:p

I would also like to point out that Burt Reynolds doesn't have a stach in White Lighting. Is that really legal? I mean... It just seems wrong. I knew he was stach-less in Deliverence and that godawful Shark movie he was in called... Shark. But still...

Need to think about the Top 5 theme. It's just such a wide-topic.

hay booiiz

ps i’m not wearing pants rn

Henry and Rimbaud82 invading on the same day!?

The SMD is taking over the SMC!:p

Glad to see you old dogs in here!

Henry and Rimbaud82 invading on the same day!?

The SMD is taking over the SMC!:p

Glad to see you old dogs in here!
Rimjob & I have always been on the same wavelength. this was destiny.

forreal though I miss SMD & definitely feel partially responsible for letting it get lost in the mist. it’s gonna feel good talking w/ you sonuva guns about movies once again.

tenor.gif

Back