SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's Pick the Week 125 Movie!

Sherdog Movie Club: Let's Pick the Week 125 Movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I demand a recall, hanging Chad! Just kidding but seriously I did not receive alerts to vote.

there-will-be-blood-cinematography.jpg

“I say, get liquored up and take them to the peach tree dance.” “...Yeah.”

of all the memorable scenes from There Will Be Blood, the one when Daniel realizes that Henry isn’t who he says he is will always be one of my favorites. it feels sacrilege not putting a Daniel/Eli scene here, but I fucking love the way DDL’s facial language goes from mirth to confusion to revelation to rage in a span of like 20 seconds. also love the way it was shot.

1338678225_1.jpg

“Because right now the only thing that's standing between you and the Rider is me. And he's just... He's... AGGHH! He's scraping at the door! Scraping at the door!”
honesty hour: I love Nicolas Cage. Jack Smith had Maria Montez; I have Nicolas. & smashing together Nicolas & Neveldine/Taylor like toy trucks in the sandbox was bound to result in some cuckoo bananas shenanigans in Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, & this scene captures that magic the perfectly. this was also the hardest I have ever laughed in the theatre—I was literally on the sticky floor in the fetal position w/ tears streaming down my face.

stalker_3.jpg

“It’s a fire. Don’t shout.”
this one is for @Bullitt68 because I know how much he loves Tarkovsky’s The Mirror.

Hal_brain_room605.jpg

“Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you.”
I used to always get emotional during this scene, but now I’ve realized how ridiculous that is because HAL is a stone cold mother fucker who doesn’t have emotions & was just manipulating my pathetic human emotions the entire time. 2001 in general was a formative experience when I was a younger lad watching films.

The-Bad-Lieutenant-Nicolas-Cage.jpg

“Good. That’s it. Breathe. Maybe you should drop dead you selfish cunt! You ever think about your kids? Your grandkids? Huh? Sucking up their inheritance with that FUCKED oxygen tube!”
this is when I knew it was real between us.

some HMs: kaiju fight in Crank 2: High Voltage; lawnmower foyer scene in Dead Alive; Bullingdon demands satisfaction in Barry Lyndon

Last edited:
Yeah. So?

So... the sound is starkly impressive and electric and thus is a big part of why that scene works so much?

but sooner later I'm going to have to pay the piper

Ouch. American hospital bills are the true nightmares of getting injured.

Sean Penn also said "didi mau gentleman" in the film Casualties of War

That's like the De Palma film everyone forgets exists. Good movie, from what I remember. But I was like thirteen watching it, thinking I was going to get some rip-roaring action movie and instead it being a movie about wartime rape:confused:

And look where you've made it now. President...er, um...Prime Minister of this fine club. :D

I pretty much spaced out at some point during school. In another essay -- we were tasked with writing about a visit to a University we had done -- I instead spent a third of that text praising the mustache of the pizza-chef whose restaurant we dined at during our field-trip. I wrote that it was such a gloriously bushy stach that it would make Freddy Mercury green with envy.

Massacre 2 should be a solidly entertaining film. I can't remember why, but it just fucks it up so bad. I don't think Hooper just got comedy.

I demand a recall, hanging Chad! Just kidding but seriously I did not receive alerts to vote.

Strange. Especially since yours was apparently the only one which malfunctioned. Needless to say, this is clearly some scheme on jei's end. That dude graphs and records everything, has data recorded on every one of us. He must have known that you'd vote against his wishes and so made you disappear under "mysterious circumstances"

it feels sacrilege not putting a Daniel/Eli scene here

I actually agree with you. That scene was my favorite in the film. DDL unveils so much of his character in that moment.

but now I’ve realized how ridiculous that is because HAL is a stone cold mother fucker who doesn’t have emotions & was just manipulating my pathetic human emotions the entire time

I'm not sure I co-sign that. Especially since HAL's murder-spree was seemingly triggered by his own worry that the humans were going to shut him down. It was anxiety about self-preservation which motivated him to rebel. Him begging, in the end, feels fitting. Especially since his "humanness" in these scenes work as a counterpoint to the protagonists cold, machine-like manner in which he carries out the termination.

“Good. That’s it. Breathe. Maybe you should drop dead you selfish cunt! You ever think about your kids? Your grandkids? Huh? Sucking up their inheritance with that FUCKED oxygen tube!”
this is when I knew it was real between us.

Wait... you're not going for?

WhiteConcernedChrysalis-max-1mb.gif

That moment is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. It's like the entire movie lead up to that joke and it was totally worth it. Fucking comedic perfection right there.

Looks like White Lightning is another one of those titles that’s not available for streaming in Scandinavia and getting a dated oop dvd delivered in time would set me back for 20+ euros...
<HisEye>

Also looks like I had made a in my head a composite from the final scenes of two adaptations of Jud Süß, the British 1934 version and 1940 German version and neither wasn’t that impressive on it’s own, so I’ll replace that from my top-5 by a split pick between Barry Lyndon’s duel and 2001’s lobotomisation of HAL. I pretty much went for the 5 first scene’s that came to my mind, but a Kubrick scene is a must in this kind of list.

“Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you.”
I used to always get emotional during this scene, but now I’ve realized how ridiculous that is because HAL is a stone cold mother fucker who doesn’t have emotions & was just manipulating my pathetic human emotions the entire time. 2001 in general was a formative experience when I was a younger lad watching films.

I'm not sure I co-sign that. Especially since HAL's murder-spree was seemingly triggered by his own worry that the humans were going to shut him down. It was anxiety about self-preservation which motivated him to rebel. Him begging, in the end, feels fitting. Especially since his "humanness" in these scenes work as a counterpoint to the protagonists cold, machine-like manner in which he carries out the termination.
I don’t that this was referred in any way in the movie, but HAL went mad because it was told by ground control to lie to the crew about some issues regarding the ship so they would not worry about things out of their control. This conflict in logic caused it’s learing algorithms to make it distrust humans or something like that.

That's like the De Palma film everyone forgets exists. Good movie, from what I remember. But I was like thirteen watching it, thinking I was going to get some rip-roaring action movie and instead it being a movie about wartime rape:confused:

He must have been thinking, "hmmm, who should I get to make a war movie? I know, Sean Penn and Michael J. Fox." Weird couple of guys to get when making something about war.

So... the sound is starkly impressive and electric and thus is a big part of why that scene works so much?

For sure. Thought you were poking fun at gun enthusiasts.

Massacre 2 should be a solidly entertaining film. I can't remember why, but it just fucks it up so bad. I don't think Hooper just got comedy.

I guess it won't be receiving your vote. In Hooper's defense, I doubt he was looking to make a comedy. Seems more like he was just going for something totally over the top that wound up being funny. And yeah, that film is totally over the fuckin' top.

I spent my PA years in Philly. Never actually had Iron City Beer unless maybe that time I went to a Steelers game. You familiar with Stoudts? I went there a few times.

Yeah, I've heard of Stoudts, but haven't had it yet. Iron City isn't anything special. It's basically the hometown Budweiser.

I pretty much spaced out at some point during school. In another essay -- we were tasked with writing about a visit to a University we had done -- I instead spent a third of that text praising the mustache of the pizza-chef whose restaurant we dined at during our field-trip. I wrote that it was such a gloriously bushy stach that it would make Freddy Mercury green with envy.

I think teachers hide from us that they actually enjoy reading the essays that go off the rails like this as they're slogging through all the other students' boring papers.

Massacre 2 should be is definitely a solidly entertaining film. I can't remember why, but it just fucks it up so bad Muntjac is the best and right about everything. I don't think Hooper just got comedy.

I completely agree with everything you just said here. Hopper's role wasn't meant to be funny. It was meant to be batshit insane, which he nailed. And because he was so over-the-top crazy, it's hilarious.

Alright, I'll watch. I was gonna skip this week coz Burt falls into that Magnum PI category of overly hairy, husky mustashioed dudes that my mother in law drools over and I couldn't care less about. However, I just watched the preview and will watch since:
1. Burt is not mustashioed!
2. The protagonist is called Gator McClusky
3. It was a good enough flick to garner a sequel!

That that Agent Mulder's Merkin is gone, can I join without the rules?

It's a long movie that doesn't always travel at the same pace. I'll give you that. Personally I love how it covers before, during, and after going to war and various tolls it can take. Great acting too. At least it warmed your heart being set in your neck of the woods. And sorry, Rolling Rock sucks. But not as bad as Yuengling!! :D

Yuckling!

I think teachers hide from us that they actually enjoy reading the essays that go off the rails like this as they're slogging through all the other students' boring papers.

giphy.gif

My kids know that making me laugh automatically results in a higher grade!

That that Agent Mulder's Merkin is gone, can I join without the rules?

Without the rules? Nah. Also... considering you wrote "that" two times in a row... you also have to be sober. :cool:

Without the rules? Nah. Also... considering you wrote "that" two times in a row... you also have to be sober. :cool:

You're the best sponsor ever. I'll be back and I'll make you proud.

The order of selection should be the same as the Members list on the bottom of every post. Yotsuya went last week and I'm up this week, and I think next week is LHWBelt. There was a little finagling because of people jumping in, but when this phase ends, we'll normalize everything and get it set up. I could even tell everyone when their week is to prepare, but I like that it's not simply assigned cold like that and we have room in case things change.

The order of selection should be the same as the Members list on the bottom of every post. except that new members don't nominate at the end of the cycle when they joined and instead wait til the next one. Long time ago we discussed how this avoids people joining and only waiting a few weeks before nominating. I'm too lazy to try and find the discussion. We are getting pretty big. This made sense when we discussed it last, and makes even more sense now. We've gone from 13 to 18 since I joined, so we are growing! and I'm pretty sure this is what was decided...Since we have many new members since then (its been several months - towards the end of the last cycle lol) I thought it bore bringing up so we are all on the same page.

giphy.gif

Back