Shinya Aoki or Demian Maia

As others have mentioned, why would this even be a debate?

Any ADCC winner is a better grappler than Aoki.

I don't care how you want to try to rationalize it, but there is absolutely no way in hell you could possibly justify Aoki being on a top 10 BJJ list. Not even for his weight. not for Gi, not for no-g, not in a box, not with a fox.

This is borderline bashing and might get you banned. The "not in a box, not with a fox" will surely get you double yellows. I know you are one of the best contributors on this forum so I hope the mods spare you.

Aoki has pulled guard and won. He has gogoplata'd people from the bottom and from the top. He has thrown a flying triangled and won. He has utlized the de la riva guard in an MMA match! He has boot scooted to victory!

He has top 10 Submission Grappling skills in MMA. He doesn't give a shit about winning ADCC; he wants to be the best fighter in the world with the help of his elite submission grappling skills in an MMA context.

Can Roger Gracie, Marcelo Garcia, Dean Lister, etc rival Aoki in the MMA context?

NOT EVEN FUCKING CLOSE.

As others have mentioned, why would this even be a debate?

Any ADCC winner is a better grappler than Aoki.

Now how could you possibly know that.

Infact.... lets see...do you think Mark Kerr has better JJ then Aoki? :icon_lol:

Look at maia's debut, it's against some dude who is my size (I am a bantamweight and 170 cms) and maia mounted him and got swept.

First read what you wrote there. You can't get swept from mount; that's like saying he got passed from under side-control, it doesn't make any sense.

Second, this thread was about their BJJ, not necessarily BJJ for MMA. though I think it's obvious that Maia is far superior in both.

First read what you wrote there. You can't get swept from mount; that's like saying he got passed from under side-control, it doesn't make any sense.

Second, this thread was about their BJJ, not necessarily BJJ for MMA. though I think it's obvious that Maia is far superior in both.

lol wut?

lol @ Mikey for saving this thread and making me laugh.

Yes, cuase Maia has so many wins over great fighters...

This is borderline bashing and might get you banned. The "not in a box, not with a fox" will surely get you double yellows. I know you are one of the best contributors on this forum so I hope the mods spare you.

Aoki has pulled guard and won. He has gogoplata'd people from the bottom and from the top. He has thrown a flying triangled and won. He has utlized the de la riva guard in an MMA match! He has boot scooted to victory!

He has top 10 Submission Grappling skills in MMA. He doesn't give a shit about winning ADCC; he wants to be the best fighter in the world with the help of his elite submission grappling skills in an MMA context.

Can Roger Gracie, Marcelo Garcia, Dean Lister, etc rival Aoki in the MMA context?

NOT EVEN FUCKING CLOSE.

That's not bashing, it's a statement of fact. Aoki is not a top 10 BJJ player by any stretch of the imagination. this is the grappling section, not the heavyweights buddy. We're talking about "BJJ" not "MMA".

saying Aoki's better at BJJ than Maia because he does fancy moves in MMA matches is the most ridiculous argument I've ever heard in my life.

Sorry about the terminology. I guess that's reversed. Let me rephrase that:

Maia was mounting some dude that's 15 centimeters shorter and 5 kilos lighter when the other guy rolls over and ends up on top in Maia's guard.

When Aoki mounts people they get gogo'd or get their arms nearly broken.

Sorry about the terminology. I guess that's reversed. Let me rephrase that:

Maia was mounting some dude that's 15 centimeters shorter and 5 kilos lighter when the other guy rolls over and ends up on top in Maia's guard.

When Aoki mounts people they get gogo'd or get their arms nearly broken.

pure grappling against another pure grappler is different than a pure grappler against a part time grappler/mma guy

Well since you didn't bother to read what I wrote, I suppose I'll just say it again. I didn't say he was in the top ten of anything. I said it's stupid to even rank Aoki anywhere because he's not even active in BJJ. He's an MMA fighter. He has competed a few times in BJJ and I think once in Adcc a few years back. But he's bever focused on BJJ competition enough to even say either way.

Is Barrack Obama in the top ten of BJJ?

I mean, you can't say that he isn't! It would be stupid to suggest that he shouldn't be ranked in the top ten of BJJ, right? He hasn't focused on just BJJ, so it's dumb to say he shouldn't be ranked.

Come on. Mikey's post was on point. Aoki clearly doesn't have the same level of sport BJJ or no-gi grappling as Maia. On the other hand, it's certainly fair to make a case that Aoki's jiu jitsu for MMA is better (I don't necessarily agree with that, but that would be at least worth discussing).

That's not bashing, it's a statement of fact. Aoki is not a top 10 BJJ player by any stretch of the imagination. this is the grappling section, not the heavyweights buddy. We're talking about "BJJ" not "MMA".

saying Aoki's better at BJJ than Maia because he does fancy moves in MMA matches is the most ridiculous argument I've ever heard in my life.

Need some help settling a dispute who's BJJ do you think is superior?

I am guessing your first language is English since you were making some reference to it earlier. It's not mine so it might be the reason why I interpreted the crunk fighter's question I did.

He did not ask "Who is the better pure submission grapppler?" or "Who would win if they met in ADCC?" He asked who has the better bjj which to me implies who has the better bjj skillset in a broader environment than bjj itself. I think the question and argument are completely viable in the grappling forum.

A lot of people want to discuss grappling in terms of MMA and I think that's fine. Some people don't care about a gi or a belt but do care about the finer points of the grappling element in an MMA match.

Is Barrack Obama in the top ten of BJJ?

I mean, you can't say that he isn't! It would be stupid to suggest that he shouldn't be ranked in the top ten of BJJ, right? He hasn't focused on just BJJ, so it's dumb to say he shouldn't be ranked.

Not even remotely the same thing. We were comparing two peopel who practice the same art. Nice try though...

Come on. Mikey's post was on point. Aoki clearly doesn't have the same level of sport BJJ or no-gi grappling as Maia. On the other hand, it's certainly fair to make a case that Aoki's jiu jitsu for MMA is better (I don't necessarily agree with that, but that would be at least worth discussing).

I never said he was on the same level as Maia in sport JJ. I said it's stupid to even try to put Aoki in any type of ranking in BJJ whether it's top 10 or 50. He doesn't even compete in the sport.

I am guessing your first language is English since you were making some reference to it earlier. It's not mine so it might be the reason way I interpreted the crunk fighter's question I did.

He did not ask "Who is the better pure submission grapppler?" or "Who would win if they met in ADCC?" He asked who has the better bjj which to me implies who has the better bjj skillset in a broader environment than bjj itself. I think the question and argument is completely viable in the grappling forum.

A lot of people want to discuss grappling in terms of MMA and I think that's fine. Some people don't care about a gi or a belt but do care about the finer points of the grappling element in an MMA match.

my first language is english, giving me the advantage here, haha! (j/k)

anyway I can definitely see an argument for Aoki having better "BJJ for MMA", but I don't think the fact that he does sweet moves is a viable point in that argument.

I personally still say that while Maia has not yet reached the same level of success in MMA as Aoki has Maia's BJJ skills in the cage are still superior, but like I said there's an argument there worth discussing. I am a massive Aoki fan by the way.

With that said, read my first post. arguing about who has better "pure" bjj (whether gi or no-gi) is just silly.

...yes?

What else would you call having mount, and then ending up on your back with someone in your guard?

An upa roll escape. It's not a sweep, sweeps have to start from a guard. Although I'm confused as to who is still trolling and who just doesn't understand BJJ in this thread.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derik
Back