Shoe Brands that were popular back in the 80s and 90s that you wore as a kid

TidWell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For the older guys in their 30s and 40s

Im not talking big name brands that are still around like Reebok or Nike, Im talking brands that were only big in the 80s an 90s but fell off.

I remember as a little kid I used to wear those AVIA shoes, I remember a couple of basketball players wore them and they were popular, I also were LA lights by LA gear they were the hottest shoes at the time
and British Knights, and Pony shoes
Keds were also popular and Airwalks

51LxeQD0eEL._SY395_QL70_.jpg

15539433874_beff92b37d_b.jpg

kkazfuzvqeis3n65ui4i.jpg

I never bought a pair of LA Gear but I did have some Ewing's.

lteT3aW.jpg

pumas, diadora, i remember a brand called "Bike". they also made dodgeballs/kickballs i think.

definitely wore the ones in the OP.

Origional roos were amazing..
Then they came back and now sucks_55e615118e1c61d1f301bbc6.jpg

i was a reebok whore as a kid, but my brother rocked them British Knights, i didn't care for them but hey that was the style.

pumas, diadora, i remember a brand called "Bike". they also made dodgeballs/kickballs i think.

definitely wore the ones in the OP.

I remember they used to call Airwalks POwalks because they were the poor mans skate shoe, Vans was the top dog at the time. I noticed Payless shoes bought Airwalk and sell them.

the crazy thing is AVIA could have wiped out NIKE, they were suing NIKE back in the early 90s because NIKE ripped their cushion technology, but instead Avia decided to settle out of court, they could have destroyed NIKE but just took a hefty sum at the time.

Avia was getting popular, but they fell off. its weird seeing how a lot of these shoe brands were hot and fell off only for a handful to still be popular

I remember Filas they are still kinda going strong but not as big as they were in the 80s and 90s also Pumas still a top brand

British Knights were pretty fresh back in the day and so were the Pony basketball joints.

Im thinking of copying some of these retros again. but someone told me the new remakes of those retro shoes like BKs and Ponys dont feel the same they are not good fits, back in the day the shoes fit better it seemed.

We were very poor until really after I graduated High School, and I can only really only remember two pairs of shoes that weren't Kmart/Payless. I had a pair of the LA Lights my parents somehow came up with the money for? I was like 7 or 8 and just remember we went to the shoe store, the guy brought them out to try on, and they said I could get them. It must have been when they first hit because I remember I went to my one and only weekend "Scout Camp" the next day, and anyone I met that weekend acted like I was wearing futuristic alien technology and I felt like the coolest kid in the world.

Then there was the only pair of Nike's my parents got me when I was 12-13? I always wanted a pair, and I could never get them.
sale-men-s-nike-air-max-97-kpu-tpu-green-black-outlet.jpg

They resembled these and I thought they were cool as hell. It's funny because it's just a "brand" and not even a high end one, but when I finally got a job and started buying my own things, I felt like "You can afford Nike, you're doing ok.." and as corny as it is all these years later, there is still a small part of me that gets that feeling roughly 20 years later after getting that first pair. lol

Remember the rumors that British Knights were popular among the Crips, because BK secretly stood for Blood Killer?

David Robinson had a sweet pair of Nikes, also.

nike-air-command-force-neon.jpg

I only remember Kangaroo. Pockets? In my Shoes? Where I could keep a buck to buy chips? Hells yah, motherfuclker.

Otherwise I don’t know.

Shoes are shoes.

Back