Should California begin worrying about an earthquake?

breadfighter

Toiling in underground sugar caves
@purple
Reaction score
I know it's stupid not to be prepared and that we should be worried about the constant threat of a quake, but i've never been in an Earthquake so I don't really have a perspective of the magnitude of damage it could cause. But I just saw a clip of entire building caving in on itself in the 7.1 that just hit Mexico. I don't really know the science behind earthquakes, but does a huge quake in Mexico infer that one is going to hit California?

Now I know buildings here are made to withstand quakes but what if it's super powerful? Will my roof cave in and kill me? Should I start hoarding weapons, water, and food? I'm ready to resort to cannibalism.

Can someone knowledgeable explain to me what the worst case scenario is we're dealing with here?

Fuck you i'm no earthquake expert.

Last edited:
Nothing would thrill me more than to see your bones crushed on the floor and I hope there's an earthquake. Nothing could say goodbye now I can't sleep unless you die girl. I hope there's an earthquake and the roof falls on your head.

does a huge quake in Mexico infer that one is going to hit California?

Lots of potential for quakes in California bro. There are a lot of faults in the area. Now that Trump's started global warming again you'll prob start getting some major quakes soon

Lots of potential for quakes in California bro. There are a lot of faults in the area. Now that Trump's started global warming again you'll prob start getting some major quakes soon

I understand that, but does a 7.1 hitting Mexico increase the likelihood of it triggering one in California? It only seems like the logical progression right? You're asian, you should know these things.

Nothing would thrill me more than to see your bones crushed on the floor and I hope there's an earthquake. Nothing could say goodbye now I can't sleep unless you die girl. I hope there's an earthquake and the roof falls on your head.

Those better be song lyrics...or you've just made a very powerful enemy, my friend.

Learn to swim.

I'm going to start bench pressing in case I need to lift flaming debris off my body.

abe.jpg

Last edited:
You better hope The Rock or John Cusack are around when the shit hits the fan.

I understand that, but does a 7.1 hitting Mexico increase the likelihood of it triggering one in California? It only seems like the logical progression right? You're asian, you should know these things.

Real answer nobody knows.

32 years ago ago today a 8.1 quake hit Mexico City and since then people have been waiting for the real big one to hit California-Baja area and nothing happened, there was the world series earthquake in 89 tought.

The major concer is that only aweek ago there was a 8.2 earthquake in Oaxaca (wich was also felt in MC) so it feels like there is a chain reacion in the underground.

San Andreas fault is a strike slip fault and it's stuck .... Could be tomorrow or could be 10 years from now . Maybe even 50 years from now. Even though it's overdue I wouldn't be surprised if the "big one" doesn't hit anytime soon.

I sleep through anything that is not stronger than a 4.5.

I know it's stupid not to be prepared and that we should be worried about the constant threat of a quake, but i've never been in an Earthquake so I don't really have a perspective of the magnitude of damage it could cause. But I just saw a clip of entire building caving in on itself in the 7.1 that just hit Mexico. I don't really know the science behind earthquakes, but does a huge quake in Mexico infer that one is going to hit California?

Now I know buildings here are made to withstand quakes but what if it's super powerful? Will my roof cave in and kill me? Should I start hoarding weapons, water, and food? I'm ready to resort to cannibalism.

Can someone knowledgeable explain to me what the worst case scenario is we're dealing with here?

I take it you are in California? California has major earthquakes (8.0) around every 150 years. It is due for a very big one within the next 30 years or less. Small California quakes affect Mexico and vice versa. Do you own animals? They can tell when an earthquake is about to hit before it happens. Birds, dogs, horses, cows, etc. We get small earthquakes here in Oklahoma and I've been through two. Very small ones and no serious damage. All thanks to the oil industry and 'fracking'.

Earthquakes are not 'rocket science'. It is basically the ground many miles below you re-arranging itself. Getting more comfortable due to pressure form the heat in the center of the earth. If there is an earthquake where you are, you need to stay outdoors. No tall building (earthquake proof construction) can withstand an 8.0 or higher earthquake. Not if the 'shaking' lasts for 1 minute and a crater opens up under it. It will all depend on how close, or how far, you are from the center of the earthquake. If you survive, the scenario would be the same one that Texas and Florida are going through after the hurricanes. How much shit got destroyed and how fast can aid come to you.

We haven't had a serious earthquake since 1994 with Northridge.

We might have an earthquake today or maybe we won't have one for another decade.

The infrastructure is also a lot better than in 1994.

I sleep through anything that is not stronger than a 4.5.
I actually slept through that Westwood earthquake a few days ago I'm going to guess OP is not a native Californian or really young and didn't experience Northridge in 1994.

I remember the 1987 World Series Earthquake
The streets turned to "liquid" and were rolling up and down like waves in the ocean and cars were bouncing all over the place

Thankfully we were far enough away from the epicenter that we didnt suffer any serious damage but the shit was crszy

We are about to become an island. Can't wait.

I remember the 1987 World Series Earthquake
The streets turned to "liquid" and were rolling up and down like waves in the ocean and cars were bouncing all over the place

Thankfully we were far enough away from the epicenter that we didnt suffer any serious damage but the shit was crszy

'89

Fuck you i'm no earthquake expert.
I was in the 89 quake.

Not much you can do except try your best to survive. You will be terrified. You may die.

Back