Should i take Boxing, Kickboxing, or MMA?

Try one of each class, see which one you enjoy the most, and stick with that for awhile. Lots of people starting out doing too much and get injured/discouraged/over trained. I would say train 2-4 times a week in the class/school you liked the most, until your athletic age is old enough to tackle more training and different aspect of it.

If you are worried about breaking your nose, pick a different sport. You will get your nose bloodied when you first boxing, kickboxing, ground n pound, or even grappling...

Ummm no, I've seen young people train in boxing for one year and they have the fundamentals down to pat.
Not the same with kickboxing, some people train for years n look like they've just started yesterday.

idk maybe kb schools are bad in my city, but I'll still stick by what i said thanks.

nope.

For some reason I though you were 18... Do not spar hard until you are at least in your late teens so just focus on technique and your athletic qualities. I would also start doing some BJJ/Judo or wrestling at your school.

Nerd talk, the frontal lobe become myelinated during your early/mid teens. Constant trauma is considered to be very damaging at this stage in neurodevelopment. Many people are confused, because a child's brain is very plastic and can overcome brain damage (even the removal of one of the hemispheres!). Teenagers brains, on the other hand are nowhere near this plastic.

The most important thing is to have fun with it...

I'm actually pretty glad most dudes here think one should develop a good base before going straight into MMA which seems to be the craze now.. but I do also realize that this is the Standup Technique forum a lot of people are going to believe that here.

This is clearly a highly subjective subject, and my own opinions are obviously biased towards personal experience, but I would strongly dissuade you from trying to take "MMA" as your first martial art/combat sport. The sheer breadth and scope of techniques, positions, and possibilities in mixed martial arts makes it very difficult to just pick up without a solid foundation in one of its four core disciplines (bjj, wrestling, muay thai, and boxing- obviously other bases exist such as judo, kickboxing, sanshou, etc, but for simplicity's sake focusing on the big four). Though it was not on your list (and therefore might not appeal to you personally), if you are in middle or high school I would highly suggest joining the wrestling team for the following reasons.
1. It's free.
2. You are more likely to get quality instruction from a knowledgeable coach who has a vested interest in your success. There are a lot of Bull**** artists out there teaching "martial arts", and many of them will look to take money from a young student who might not know any better.
3.You will be part of a new social group that might bring lasting friendships and a foundation of support throughout a period of life that most people agree can really suck.
4. Finally, and least importantly, if you eventually do look to train in mixed martial arts, you will have a solid foundation of skills and athletic, competitive experience.

If striking is your desired focus, then I would suggest you research local boxing gyms and their instructors. It can be kind of hard to find a kickboxing school depending on where you are, but you can certainly find plenty of kickboxing instructors working out of boxing gyms, so start your search there.

Remember, it will be the instructor, not the style, that will be more important at your age.

Thankyou to everyone who responded, Im going for a trial boxing class tomorrow and if i like it i will purchase a membership. Just a quick question, a few of you said join wrestling which is what i wanted to do. Is it a bad idea to take wrestling and Boxing at the same time?? or should i stick to one at a time to focus more on it

Thankyou to everyone who responded, Im going for a trial boxing class tomorrow and if i like it i will purchase a membership. Just a quick question, a few of you said join wrestling which is what i wanted to do. Is it a bad idea to take wrestling and Boxing at the same time?? or should i stick to one at a time to focus more on it

Take them both. You might miss some boxing training during wrestling season, but if you ever decide to try your hand at MMA you will need to have some wrestling under your belt. If your looking to just get into a stand up art then that's cool too, but you might enjoy wrestling.

Im mainly doing this to get fit and have some self defence , i dont think i wil ever really get into mma

I would go with boxing. Sounds like you are leaning towards that anyways. Since you are 14 have you thought about wrestling for your school? You have easy acess to it and its free.

Edit: Sorry I should have read the whole thread before posting what has already been said.

Im 14, 5'7 and 125 pounds. I recently became interested i joining Some kind of martial art for conditioning and self defence/ knowing how to fight. I feel like I'd enjoy pure boxing more then kickboxing because of pure fist fighting, but maybe it would be better to learn kickboxing. MMA is also a choice for me as it has many styles mixed but i feel as if it will take very long to learn this as well. Im looking for a fighting style from these 3 that will be the Best for me, Easiest/fastest to learn, though i know none will be easy, im looking for one which down tot he core is a bit easier.as i said before I have more interest in boxing but many of my friends take muay thai and recommend i take that because of the more all around fighting and utilizing fists knees, elbows, and feet. Also I dont want to sound like a ***** but im worried about breaking my nose, will this happen? or will this only happen when i go full out in competitions, etc.Im from mississauga and looking into Kombat Arts and Evolution Mafa. So please help me out!

i suggest you try MMA bro. the benefits of MMA are truly great. you can use it as a self defense or as a sport. MMA is an all around art, its useful in so many ways but the thing is, its tiring to practice all aspects at the same time. but if your body can take the fatigue and all, try it. i was once a muay thai practitioner who loves toe to toe combat. but i realized, it was not enough specially when it comes to ground battle. BJJ can help only in ground battle but not at stand up fights. that's why i practiced MMA for self improvement and it helped me a lot. start slow and start now.

Terms of your small size. I would hold off on the weight lifting until 16. The reason being if you start lifting weights now you could stunt your growth. Weight trainning at your age can stop the bone growth. So no weight trainning until High School or 16-17 yrs. Just do push ups, sit ups, pull ups

This is not true at all.

Back