Should I wean off my Antidepressants?

Fuck no. I skipped a few days this week and I am ready to snap on everyone bout anything.

Can't decide.

I started weaning off them without consulting my Doctor. This is the second time I've done this...it's perfectly safe...

Just can't decide if I want off them. I'm feeling real emotions again, but it's harder to love because of them.

If you have legit brain chemistry issues, then you should take your medication.

If it’s just external things or existential stuff that alters your mood, then you can train yourself to cope without medications, but you may need to talk to a therapist and develop effective coping strategies as well as strategies to alter your thought process and thought content.

Also, have you ever had blood work to rule out organic issues like anemia, metabolic disturbances, or thyroid levels? Your doctor should’ve checked a CBC, CMP, and TSH levels before prescribing meds.

Fuck no. I skipped a few days this week and I am ready to snap on everyone bout anything.

For real, I was on a working combo of anti-depressants for a long time but gradually they started making me more and more lethargic. Dumbass that I am, I kinda figured my depression was fixed at that point so I eventually stopped without consulting the doc. Was a big mistake. I developed a whole bunch of anger and irritability issues that years later I'm only just getting over by self-medicating with cannabis oil. All my depression came back only much stronger. Last two years have been the worst of my life for sure, but I think I'm coming out of it now

Sorry to read that you experiencing the side effects from the anti-depressants. I've read how they often put a damper in sex. That is terrible. Hope you find some alternative then that is helpful with your depression. I'm currently reading a book about a doctor that used to treat patients with depression issues with diet changes. He doesn't offer proof but interesting book.

What incentive could a doctor possibly have to prescribe an unnecessary antidepressant to a patient?

Big Pharma does pay doctors both directly and indirectly for hitting certain prescription thresholds of certain drugs.

"...Why did Purdue Pharma, makers of OxyContin and a host of other opioid products, give almost $1.9 million to health-care professionals in 2017?..."

But beyond that, also big Pharma pays for the bulk of the authored research that often goes into the guidelines Doctors must follow with regards to prescribing or recommending usage of drugs or that doctor could be considered negligent. That does not mean the research or its conclusion or wrong but we should all consider that bias towards usage and profit is likely to creep in.

Re my post above...

Best example I can think of was the expose done on high blood pressure/hypertension medications and how Big Pharma targeted that area to generate research (in the 60's I think) to show that if we changed the 'accepted healthy limit' down just a few percent it would X millions more users of the medications and generate X Billion more in profits.

A bunch of Big Pharma corporate papers between a few of the biggest companies that were exposed showed they started with that premise FIRST and then set out to hire researchers who then did corroborate that Blood Pressure/hypertension limits should be lower to save lives. And gov't suggested limits did then change and Doctors were required to now start recommending medication today to X million more patience.

Some Doctors, at first rebelled as they literally had patients yesterday they told were healthy, and the next day they had to tell them they needed medication and if they did not not they could be cited for negligent care for not advising their patient properly.

I have no comment on whether the research, was in fact correct, and the change was needed or beneficial. It is possible. But what was illuminating in the Expose was that they had uncovered documents showing that the same Big Pharma companies had already marked out where they wanted the next downward change to be set. They had mapped out how many additional medication users that would result in. And they even mapped out how many would have side effects and thus requires secondary or third medications and they had the boost in those profits identified. They got that second drop in early 2000's as well. And there is pressure still and paid for research still coming out suggesting further lowering but that is finally being met with some professionals raising the other side of the question and question Big Pharma sponsored research motives.

Is Your Hypertension Real or a Money Maker for Pharma?

Are We Over-Treating High Blood Pressure?

Again you cannot blanket assume the research is wrong just because Big Pharma pays for it. But I do think consumers need to try and educate themselves as much as possible and try to find paths off medicine by making it known to your doctor that is the route you want him to focus on and help you with.

Was on meds a few years ago and came off them suddenly (didn't have a choice as my doctor refused to prescribe more) and I felt these zaps, like electric shocks, in my left arm for about a week. Definitely see your doctor and come off them slowly.

Well, a lot of folks kill either themselves or others on antidepressants, so quitting might be a good idea.

The important thing is to repent of your sins and accept Jesus as your Lord and savior. It will change you for the better and will cure your depression as well.

Yes, you should not be taking medication unless needed.

Example: You have an infection, so you take penicillin until the infection is gone.

Was on meds a few years ago and came off them suddenly (didn't have a choice as my doctor refused to prescribe more) and I felt these zaps, like electric shocks, in my left arm for about a week. Definitely see your doctor and come off them slowly.

Yoir Doctor is an asshole. Assuming you were on an SSRI, Prozac is the only one that’s safe to just abruptly stop.

Can't decide.

I started weaning off them without consulting my Doctor. This is the second time I've done this...it's perfectly safe...

Just can't decide if I want off them. I'm feeling real emotions again, but it's harder to love because of them.

Consult your physician

Yoir Doctor is an asshole. Assuming you were on an SSRI, Prozac is the only one that’s safe to just abruptly stop.

Yes. Any doctor who just cuts you off without giving you a chance to taper off is a complete idiot. I can't believe they'd even be a doctor. I know there are good and bad in every profession but I've actually had great luck with Nurse Practitioners as they seem to be that happy medium between nurses (who tend to treat the patient) and doctors (who tend to treat the ailment).

My doctor gave me some combi stuff, i forgot the name but it was a pretty high dose. In hindsight i got really nothing out of it except impregnating some broad and being a father now.
Stopped taking it right there.
So take care with the decisions you'll make.

The idea that mood and depression can be treated with a pill has to be one of if not the biggest scam in the history of the world. I completely understand how women are manipulated into participation, but more than ever men are falling prey as well. Stop that poison asap.

Can't decide.

File this under, "Questions you should discuss with your M.D.-certified psychiatrist."

Your link doesn’t say anything supporting your claim. It says doctors are compensated for giving presentations and that pharmaceutical companies bring meals to talks where they are allowed.

But beyond that, also big Pharma pays for the bulk of the authored research that often goes into the guidelines Doctors must follow with regards to prescribing or recommending usage of drugs or that doctor could be considered negligent.

Pharmaceutical companies sponsor probably 50-60% of research. Anyone with any sense is not going to take these studies as gospel. Most people I know follow the major high impact journals that will have all the most important research. Treatment guidelines often lag years behind current research.

So tell us what incentives a psychiatrist would have to wrongly prescribe a free or $4 / month medication? Most antidepressants are cheap and old as fuck.

Your link doesn’t say anything supporting your claim. It says doctors are compensated for giving presentations and that pharmaceutical companies bring meals to talks where they are allowed.

Pharmaceutical companies sponsor probably 50-60% of research. Anyone with any sense is not going to take these studies as gospel. Most people I know follow the major high impact journals that will have all the most important research. Treatment guidelines often lag years behind current research.

So tell us what incentives a psychiatrist would have to wrongly prescribe a free or $4 / month medication? Most antidepressants are cheap and old as fuck.
Well you will believe what you want. The article makes it clear that Big Pharma is not required to disclose the reasons they give Doctors and hospitals money directly but its long understood that at least some is tied to high usage rates of their products. I don't think there is anything surprising or controversial about that. Companies don't just give away money typically that is not tied to their bottom line growth.

Do Drug Company Payments to Doctors Influence Which Drugs They Prescribe?

The more opioids doctors prescribe, the more money they make

10 Big Pharma firms paid more than $76-million last year to doctors, hospitals but reasons for payments not revealed

Now There’s Proof: Docs Who Get Company Cash Tend to Prescribe More Brand-Name Meds

Canada's pharma companies disclose payments to doctors for 1st time

Damn is everyone on this forum on antidepressants?

Back