Sideways (2004)

In what way precisely did the movie not work for you?

In that it felt like it went for about 3 days.

saw it ages ago, wanted to like it cause I liked the main guy from Ned and Stacy, but just didn't.

Couldn't get into it myself. Main characters are too unlikable, but then the movie seems to want you to sympathize with them.

I saw someone else say the same. I kind of agree. Church's character is less likable than Giamatti's, in my opinion, because he has serious moral deficiencies. Giamatti I thought wasn't really a bad guy, just neurotic and depressed.

BTW, why'd you drop the 90?

I saw someone else say the same. I kind of agree. Church's character is less likable than Giamatti's, in my opinion, because he has serious moral deficiencies. Giamatti I thought wasn't really a bad guy, just neurotic and depressed.

BTW, why'd you drop the 90?

Well Jack does cheat on his fiance I think it was, but Miles actually steals money from his mother. As a grown ass man in his 40's. Because he's depressed and wants to go on vacation. Ok you're sad about your life that doesn't mean you get to be an asshole. And it's like by the end things start to turn around for him and we're supposed to root for him, but he hasn't really shown that he's changed all that much. I can't root for him just because he's sad and thinks he deserves more.

And I've had to be mike something or other everywhere I post because the name is so common. I asked the mods if just Mike was available, and it was and they were nice enough to hook me up.

I'm going to go with @Mike on this one, I just found the main characters too unlikeable to really dig the movie. It wasn't bad, just something I wouldn't watch again.

Also, and I might catch shit for saying this, but it was yet another movie/TV show that cast Sandra Oh as if she was a hot woman, and I just don't get it, I think her face looks slightly melted. My apologies to anyone who takes offence at that.

Very good movie

Paul Giamatti was excellent as usual. Thomas Haden Church drove that shit out of the park. Virginia Madsen was spot on.

I don't give a shit about wine, but watching this film made me want to at that moment.

It was a simple story, but one that was well told.

Couldn't get into it myself. Main characters are too unlikable, but then the movie seems to want you to sympathize with them.

Was going to mention this. I couldn't agree more.

Well Jack does cheat on his fiance I think it was, but Miles actually steals money from his mother. As a grown ass man in his 40's. Because he's depressed and wants to go on vacation. Ok you're sad about your life that doesn't mean you get to be an asshole. And it's like by the end things start to turn around for him and we're supposed to root for him, but he hasn't really shown that he's changed all that much. I can't root for him just because he's sad and thinks he deserves more.

Well you have a point about the money. I was still somewhat sympathetic though, maybe because I saw a bit of myself in him: As I approach middle age, I realize that I have done little of significance in life. Plus, I saw parallels in the way that he wanted to break out of his regular life and become an artist--just in his case it was writing instead of making films.

Also, and I might catch shit for saying this, but it was yet another movie/TV show that cast Sandra Oh as if she was a hot woman, and I just don't get it, I think her face looks slightly melted. My apologies to anyone who takes offence at that.

I kind of agree. I'm not going to say she's unattractive, but she definitely has a peculiar look that isn't going to appeal to everyone.

I definitely would not call her "hot," though she does have a pretty decent body.

I've liked all of Alexander Payne's films. Sideways might be my favorite, along with Nebraska.

Well you have a point about the money. I was still somewhat sympathetic though, maybe because I saw a bit of myself in him: As I approach middle age, I realize that I have done little of significance in life. Plus, I saw parallels in the way that he wanted to break out of his regular life and become an artist--just in his case it was writing instead of making films.

I just didn't dig the whole "well things suck for this guy, so he gets a pass on being a slimy person" Man a lot of people go through tough times. If you abandon your morality as soon as things are not even tough, but just unpleasant, you're not much of a man imo.

I'm going to go with @Mike on this one, I just found the main characters too unlikeable to really dig the movie. It wasn't bad, just something I wouldn't watch again.

Yeah agree here too. She has a weird looking face, never got the appeal.

i loved it. the movie's subject of both guys being somewhat failures in different ways and the BS they go through to eventually realize their faults just clicked for me. the wine was incidental, and wasn't really central but i did enjoy seeing sandra oh banged by lowell.

I just didn't dig the whole "well things suck for this guy, so he gets a pass on being a slimy person" Man a lot of people go through tough times. If you abandon your morality as soon as things are not even tough, but just unpleasant, you're not much of a man imo.

I don't really disagree with any of this.

Its an american classic film.

Top 20 all time IMO.

Giamatti was flawless in the movie. I was pretty lonely and depressed in my early 20's and that performance is essentially me at that time. The scene where he drinks his rockstar bottle at the shitty burger joint out of a paper cup was great. and when his ex-wife tells him she's pregnant.

Not to mention it's hilarious, and probably has the funniest sex scene of all time on screen.

Oh, and Thomas Haden Church is a legend.

I agree that both characters were flawed and not very likable. But that is actually why I liked the film. They did not bother trying to load up the flawed characters with some redeeming features to try and get you attached. Miles is just a neurotic depressed prick, that can 't take care of himself. Jack is a lout. I mean, they are not even particularly good friends to each other. They are just the best each other can come up with.

The only thing I would have like to seen was both of them a bit closer to the precipice at the end. Jack essentially got away with being a cheating lout. An things were even looking up for Miles when he got the voicemail from Maya.

I would have liked it much better if Stephanie and Maya crashed the wedding reception at the end and made a wonderful awkward mes of it all.

I've liked all of Alexander Payne's films. Sideways might be my favorite, along with Nebraska.
I've been a big fan of his since Election. The Descendants is great as well. Nebraska on the other hand was phenomenal.

Either I didn't "GET IT" or it was shit, leaning towards the latter.

Yeah man, I heard a hype about this movie when it came out and got the dvd. Boring as all fucking hell.

Giamatti blew it when he had a chance to fuck a hot MILF.

brilliant movie, sad that there are people who watch it and aren't able to see or appreciate what makes it such a great film. they are really missing out on something amazing.

Back