So did Francis make a mistake leaving the UFC?

I thought he fucked up leaving and sitting it out, but he proved me wrong

he got exposed by Cyril. He got planked 1 punch KO by AJ. He is overrated and looked shook IMHO vs a AJ not scared to bang with him.

Fighters won't be scared to trade now
Francis released a video the other day. It covers the aftermath. In it he said that AJ surprised him when he dropped him the first time. He said the punch was hard but he didn't think it was the type of shot that could put him on the canvas.

He also said that he was confused in the fight, things weren't clear, and that he was falling asleep in the dressing room before the fight. Typical post-fight excuses.

I think the legacy thing depends on if you believe Francis would have defeated Jon Jones.
He already has the asterisk victory over Jones since Jones hid from him for a very long time. If Jones wants to get rid of that L he needs to chase Francis at this point.

The problem is this: people don’t take that mma stuff seriously no more.

Sure, that wrestling around might work with your little brother. But boxing is the big leagues.

Lmao.

Its big league when it comes to punching only sir.
Boxing is an incomplete fight.

He already has the asterisk victory over Jones since Jones hid from him for a very long time. If Jones wants to get rid of that L he needs to chase Francis at this point.

BS revisionism.

Lmao.

Its big league when it comes to punching only sir.
Boxing is an incomplete fight.
They're sports not fights. In UFC youre not even allowed to kick someone in the head when theyre down you have to be forced to go hug with them or let them back up....also incomplete fight and makes BJJ look more useful than it is in a real fight.

They're sports not fights. In UFC youre not even allowed to kick someone in the head when theyre down you have to be forced to go hug with them or let them back up....also incomplete fight and makes BJJ look more useful than it is in a real fight.

In boxing you're not not even allowed to punch a guy in the leg ffs lol

Francis released a video the other day. It covers the aftermath. In it he said that AJ surprised him when he dropped him the first time. He said the punch was hard but he didn't think it was the type of shot that could put him on the canvas.

He also said that he was confused in the fight, things weren't clear, and that he was falling asleep in the dressing room before the fight. Typical post-fight excuses.
probably trying to come up with the old, "I was poisoned" excuse, a long honored tradition in boxing, George Foreman still says it about Zaire from time to time, and, to be fair, in the old days it did happen. Ali, then Cassius Clay, didn't trust all the white people he had around him before the first liston fight and kept making, was it his brother or Bundini (someone he really couldn't trust) pour out the water and tape them shut. It was a strange time, when Clay was blinded in the fifth round, the muslims were making their way to Angelo Dundee between rounds and Angie took water from his bucket, threw it in his eyes and said, "I wanna win this thing as bad as you do".

In boxing you're not not even allowed to punch a guy in the leg ffs lol
Why would you punch someone in the leg? That said I expect said Dana will start promoting a sport called Power-leg or X-leg which is entirely based around punching each other in the legs.

Why would you punch someone in the leg? That said I expect said Dana will start promoting a sport called Power-leg or X-leg which is entirely based around punching each other in the legs.

My point is boxing is a specialty sport.

No, he made a very wise decision. I'd fight a prime Earnie Shavers for what he got paid. He was making Peanuts for being the heavyweight champ of a major sports organization. Now he is claiming that he has memory loss after the Joshua fight. Probably he should retire and enjoy his bag.

Not only was it the right decision in terms of money, Francis has also secured a legacy in two sports now - one where he will be remembered as a legit lineal champion, the other as a bizarre novelty situation of a guy dropping the HW champ on debut before getting exposed with a memorable vicious KO.

Fatass couch Fury or not, dropping the recognized HW champ on debut and then getting straight up murdered is not easily forgotten and will remain in boxing lore for a long time.

Not only was it the right decision in terms of money, Francis has also secured a legacy in two sports now - one where he will be remembered as a legit lineal champion, the other as a bizarre novelty situation of a guy dropping the HW champ on debut before getting exposed with a memorable vicious KO.

Fatass couch Fury or not, dropping the recognized HW champ on debut and then getting straight up murdered is not easily forgotten and will remain in boxing lore for a long time.
What Francis did against Fury was special, even if they both looked poor by elite level boxing standards, but you're only as good as your last fight to the masses. However, if Francis was exposed then Fury was exposed worse. Even if Fury was grossly out of shape and didn't take it seriously at all, which I believe to be the case, he shouldn't have struggled that badly with a boxing debutant.

What Francis did against Fury was special, even if they both looked poor by elite level boxing standards, but you're only as good as your last fight to the masses. However, if Francis was exposed then Fury was exposed worse. Even if Fury was grossly out of shape and didn't take it seriously at all, which I believe to be the case, he shouldn't have struggled that badly with a boxing debutant.

Nobody will be talking about Francis as good in 80 years. I actually think the AJ destruction will help the longevity of the Francis story because it turns it into even more of a 'how the fuck did the lineal champ get dropped by that guy?' story that boxing fans will learn about

Let's say Francis had a mildly competitive fight with AJ, maybe getting stopped in the 7th after pinching a couple of rounds. Then the story is just 'ok, that guy was just a genuinely good HW boxer despite the lack of experience.' With the AJ destruction it just enhances the long-term novelty of the Fury KD.

Nobody will be talking about Francis as good in 80 years. I actually think the AJ destruction will help the longevity of the Francis story because it turns it into even more of a 'how the fuck did the lineal champ get dropped by that guy?' story that boxing fans will learn about

Let's say Francis had a mildly competitive fight with AJ, maybe getting stopped in the 7th after pinching a couple of rounds. Then the story is just 'ok, that guy was just a genuinely good HW boxer despite the lack of experience.' With the AJ destruction it just enhances the long-term novelty of the Fury KD.
I doubt they'll be wondering how he could've been dropped by Francis. Fury's been dropped a bunch of times and by guys who had no business doing it to him. Instead they'll be wondering how he was ever so competitive with him in the first place. Getting dropped can be excused, since it might've just been a single bad moment, but having a close fight with Francis isn't so easily dismissed.

I doubt they'll be wondering how he could've been dropped by Francis. Fury's been dropped a bunch of times and by guys who had no business doing it to him. Instead they'll be wondering how he was ever so competitive with him in the first place. Getting dropped can be excused, since it might've just been a single bad moment, but having a close fight with Francis isn't so easily dismissed.
Fury got lazy ergo got rocked. That was my initial assesment and the AJ fight confirms it. Also this is obviously not a top tier division and Fury didn't know how to weight bully his way out. Francis showed up solid and heavy, when you get right down to it Fury has never really fought someone in top physical shape and doesn't have the pure punching power to hold it off. Fury, AJ and Wilder have flaws that complement each other but they are not elite by historic standards. We have 4 lords currently but no Bison.
Honestly this sport and MMA seem really upside down at the moment.

Back