So "Fight Island" was just Bull$hit

Lower gate revenue, doesn't hurt them as much because espn still pays them a guaranteed flat rate. Also if they're hosting everything at the apex, it means they're not renting arenas, so that's another expense minimized. Also they haven't had any expensive fighters on there (except overeem) . So even though they're not operating at optimal conditions, they're overstating their plight. So yes "costs" were an excuse.
An excuse for what? They didnt fire people or adjust salaries or fighter pay. Lower gate revenue is lower gate revenue and it more than offsets (by a lot) the cost of the arena.

Again, there’s nothing to see here. They are putting on events, and fighters are able to make money (and so is the ufc).

did u not see my <TheWire1> gif? it typically implies a person being silly. maybe i should have done this one instead...

<seedat>

Ah, I gotcha. Unfortunately my gif comprehension skills aren't as honed as my reading comprehension.

HotDeliriousErmine-size_restricted.gif

It was funny to read the delusional types who frequent this forum talk about it. It's Dana... If he said that the sun will rise tomorrow I would bet against him lol.

If this is the Fight Island where is the Airport ?

You don't fly into a fight island you fucking noob. Everyone knows the only way to get to fight islands is by boat, ideally with some kind of atmospheric ritual and certainly with the fighters challenging each other mid trip.

Much as I'd LOVE to bash Dana yet again, I can't blame him for the runaway fantasies of fans not being met. All he said was that he had secured a private island for the international fights, and that infrastructure was being built. It was everybody else that was coloring in the bare bones statement with exotic tropical details in their head.

Bullshit, mate. Dana led the fans on. The reporters asked questions and he was very coy about it. Why mention hotels are being built? He was dropping the nuggets and leading that fantasy. The media nor the fans ran away with it. Dana was planting seeds

This is blowing my mind.

We've actually started getting fights again and now we're getting a proper international fight card. Who the fuck would look at that and call it BS?

Yea it's not a fucking mortal kombat island and they're not gona shoot fireballs at each other. But you'll get to see fights.

I swear as bad as Dana as the fickle fans are way worse.

Jesus christ man. You're making it sound like fans aren't excited to see the fights. We are! But its okay for fans to want a "fight island" Enter the dragon style. Its OKAY to be disappointed that's not what it is. Jesus, you make it sound like people want to stab the pope because Fight Island didn't happen.

I liked when people were asking if there would be proper medical facilities close by. I think they have it covered. I honestly didn’t care about all that hula girl fantasy BS. I always just expected it to look exactly the same on TV. And that’s why I’m here. To watch fights.
ok boomer

Bullshit, mate. Dana led the fans on. The reporters asked questions and he was very coy about it. Why mention hotels are being built? He was dropping the nuggets and leading that fantasy. The media nor the fans ran away with it. Dana was planting seeds

Jesus christ man. You're making it sound like fans aren't excited to see the fights. We are! But its okay for fans to want a "fight island" Enter the dragon style. Its OKAY to be disappointed that's not what it is. Jesus, you make it sound like people want to stab the pope because Fight Island didn't happen.
i haven't seen a quote of him saying they were building hotels. i saw him say "there are hotels".

This was pretty coy. I must admit

They actually did put an octagon on a beach, but its for promotion. He knows how to be coy about whats being said. It took off. He went with it. Can't hate him for that. But can be disappointed that he embellished and left out important details.

Meh. It's possible they were considering doing their own venue on their own Island back when they first announced all this. Islands are not as expensive as one might think... Then the Riots happened and they realized nobody actually gives a fuck about catchin' teh covid anymore and decided to go for the cheaper option.

<Fedor23>

Compared to some of Dana's other pre-sells — like "In the next two months, I’m going to unveil the future. Not of the UFC, of fighting" and it turns out to be the glorified garage that's the Apex center — his island talk was a model of concise reporting.

Although ironically, COVID-19 has indeed made the Apex the future of fighting...

Yeah, no shit, Sherlock, of course it had to be a place like that, the only advantage is to avoid some sort or fly ban and people willing to pay crazy expensive tickets.

Last edited:

Holy fucking shit thats a dramatic reaction. No one said anything about stabbing or... the pope?

My point is there's NOTHING to be disappointed about. Sure you can talk about your fantasies, but to act like this is somehow a huge letdown is stupid to say the least. It's an international UFC fight card, we're getting it, stop whining.

Also you are free to watch enter the dragon and mortal kombat right now if you are craving it so much.

You want all that fantasy live with real fights and fighters during a global pandemic where economies are struggling? Not gona happen, ever. The world does not exist to satisfy all of your entertainment cravings.

Back