So how long is O'Malley hanging on to the title??

djason1988

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I just can't see this dude as a dominant champ. Kudos for the ko of Sterling, but the Yan fight is widely considered a robbery and chito took him out. The only way he stays on top imo is if the UFC is extremely judicious with his matchups.

He'll get a gift wrapped Chito next. BTW Chito has looked horrible in his last two. After that fight he will miss some time "recovering". Merab and Sandy will fight for interim title. Sean will comeback and say he wants to move up and he will fight Yair at FW. Then he will vacate the BW title and have a boxing match where he will get smoked. Then he will comeback and lose badly then win a gimmie fight then only talk about how he wants to fight.

Depends on who he gets matched up with. I think he beats Chito and Sandhagen. Umar and Merab are really rough matchups for him. Cejudo is a 50/50 at this point imo.

I think Sandhagen will be his next best test as Cory continues to improve, flesh out and round out his skills. He's a talented hardworking, focused, smart fighter. Though not as fast and unable to match the footwork of Sean, Sandhagen is like GSP in that he will zero in on any weakness and look to capitalize accordingly.

I just can't see this dude as a dominant champ. Kudos for the ko of Sterling, but the Yan fight is widely considered a robbery and chito took him out. The only way he stays on top imo is if the UFC is extremely judicious with his matchups.

I think Yan beats him, but the Chito fight was a fluke.

O'Malley easily beats Chito in the return match.

I can't see him defending much. I think he'll go for the FW belt p soon.

Like Conor, I think it's just his personality type - notice how Conor didn't defend in Cage Warriors too, and knowing shit he says and the way he acts in general... he's always looking for the next thing, the bigger thing; I think Conor sees defending as 'looking back' or something, like 'already completed it / got the belt' and wants the next thing / forward...

I think Sean is like that too.

He might though. Maybe he'll defend against chito, possibly Yan and possibly give Aljo a rematch. That would be a sweet trio tbf - rectify the chito loss, rectify the perceived Yan robbery and beat Aljo again and perhaps this time 'put his lights out' fully, then move up.

Sandhagen takes it from him. I'm a big Sandhagen fan, and his last performance was as bad as it gets when it comes to lay'n pray.,but he's always been a great technical. I think he beats O'Malley in the stand-up and mixing in the takedowns.

I think only Yan can beat him. Chito is just to pull some paper for the first title defense which makes sense financially. Aljo just looked outclassed plain and simple in the fight so he is a wash.

He has the tools to hang on to it for a very long time. No one can match him on the feet, and he has very good TD defense and grappling.

He'll get a gift wrapped Chito next. BTW Chito has looked horrible in his last two. After that fight he will miss some time "recovering". Merab and Sandy will fight for interim title. Sean will comeback and say he wants to move up and he will fight Yair at FW. Then he will vacate the BW title and have a boxing match where he will get smoked. Then he will comeback and lose badly then win a gimmie fight then only talk about how he wants to fight.

<{hfved}>

Defend against Chito, then go after the FW title.

Absolutley not.. Way to many contenders at 135, you don’t defend the title once and then ask for a title shot against by the time his career is over maybe the best ever. You need to clear out your division.

People still aren’t giving this kid credit. he really is something special. His movement and the angles he creates and his pin point accuracy is second to none in the sport right now. 135 is stacked and he def has some challengers.. I think he can win almost all of them with sandhagen being the toughest fight right now . I give him a 60/40 edge

Sean did the opposite in what I expected...tbh
Sean's whole career..He did a energy dump, with his speed, and fancy style.. and had power we assumed from all his power shots on people that were not top notch fighters.
However, seem to just not have it with top fighters
In this fight, I was amazed how technical he was...
First round, super close, Sean Looked technical, and laying off his kicks...only kicking when needed...
2nd round, his counter came out of nowhere..but not really, how he dropped his hand too before the strike...but, are we surprised he has power at 135?
I think this Sean can be a threat at 135...so he does not gas out and counters at the right moment.
I thought he was the next big thing but this fight sort of cemented his ability with the right strategy agains top fighters
I think this fight cemented what he can do ...but of course he will have a problem with grapplers...but his striking is always a threat now.

Now vs Chito? would the same strategy work? I thought Chito had his number...but Sean has toned it down to maintain his power shots imo.
He should fight Chito next...I bet they fight next.
Thats, again, a hard fight to call...I thought Sterling was going to take him down and have more chances..but...maybe in a rematch?
Sean is only 28 too...
Lets see what happens..I think Chito should be next.

Depends who he fights. I think he beats Chito, but I don't see him outlasting Merab. Merab can likely just do what he did to Yan to O'Malley, except Yan has way more proven takedown defence. Cejudo might be too small for Sean, but I'm not sure, I'd be 50/50 there. He'll probably fight Chito next, and I'll expect him to win, but whoever he fights after that should be very telling.

I think he loses to Merab and Sandhagen is a close fight.

Back