So What’s Been the Reason for BJ Penns Demise?

Heard Ariel issue the “N” word when talking about Dana’s complicity in BJ Penns denial.

Heh. Those two can’t keep trying to fuck each other

Same thing Rashad suffered from. Both reach an age where they just can't fire like they used to anymore. The really last time you seen BJs shell of himself was that 1st RD against Nick. BJ is still fighting because I guess that's all he knew how to do in life

Zobo-Burrito.jpg

Because he was always mediocre and he got the usada treatment

He's physically declining now but he turned to shit way before he lost his athleticism. Bad athleticism didn't make him fight in tippy toes. Now he's got those problems that started his initial decline and he's physically shot. He needs to retire.

I stand by my comments, things like speed, explosiveness, reflexes, etc. Traditionally, especially at the lighter weight classes, fighters that have those in abundance decline at a younger age. He has never been a hard worker, so once you lose those things like athleticism, speed, reflexes, etc you are fxxxed. And yes, he needs to retire like 7 yrs ago or something

I respect his talent, but was never a fan.
He did reach a peak performance when he trained with Marinovich.
His fight with GSP was awesome.

Lots of good answers so far ITT

- steroids
- cocaine
- IVs
- gym location
- homosexual voodoo

penn was never that good. First time someone didn't just punch him in the head he quit. Guys with extra big heads take shots better, think the skull must be extra thick.

I don't think Frankie won the 1st fight. He did lose the 2nd fight, but even then BJ wasn't massacred. He rebounded and blasted Matt Hughes. IMO something happened starting in the 2nd half of 2010, after the Matt Hughes fight that caused his demise and he never recovered from it. It was probably a combination of a lot of things, but it was probably lack of discipline, not training enough or at all, unhealthy, not mixing it up enough, drugs, family issues.

Family can be the strength of a fighter where if you have a good family unit, a good wife/mom/dad, people close to you that basically adapt their lives to yours, making sure your household is in order, your meals cooked, help with fighter management, scheduling and you have all the support you need so you can worry mostly just about training.

But many women, I would suspect are really not that supportive of fighters when they realize that the fight game is 5% glory and 95% pain, recovery, suffering and heartache and everyone is revolving around the fighter/husband/boyfriend and not them which is usually the case with most women where they are used to the world revolving around them.

Going up in weight hurt him a ton and then it seems like got lazy.

I thought Fitch would actually lay and pray him for 14 of the 15 minutes but BJ actually outwrestled him until he gassed.

I remember him beating Diaz soundly in the first round and then succumbing to bad cardio and superior boxing once Nick figured him out.

Rory fight was bad. Was like a grown man beating a child. These welterweights were just too big.

Then tippy toe Penn fought Frankie again and it was all over at that point. He no longer had the skill advantage he had 10 years earlier that allowed him to go up in weight and compete. Everyone had caught up to him so he was fighting on an uneven playing ground. After that it looked like he just didn't train as much because he looked like a shell of his former self.

Hasn’t he consumed something like 1,300 strikes to the head? Sure I heard Ariel pull a figure up in that region

The least disciplined fighter in the sport who relied on talent alone got old, took beatings on his legendary chin, has CTE and a drug problem likely related to the poor impulse control that comes with it.

I wouldn't say his skillset is old, he was a jiu jitsu world champ with great boxing, defensive wrestling, and a ridiculous guard, but he is just slow, bad reaction time, and not competitive in jiu jitsu or grappling anymore. Time moved on, faster for him than most due to a lack of trying.

But many women, I would suspect are really not that supportive of fighters when they realize that the fight game is 5% glory and 95% pain, recovery, suffering and heartache and everyone is revolving around the fighter/husband/boyfriend and not them which is usually the case with most women where they are used to the world revolving around them.

In a BJ Penn thread such an argument is meant as a sick joke isnt it? He abused her again and again and let her get molested / fucked by strangers. If anything it seems BJ Penn destroyed his family.

Lots of good answers so far ITT

- steroids
- cocaine
- IVs
- gym location
- homosexual voodoo

I'll add another,
"homosexual gym location, where you get connected to a a few IVs, while sniffing cocaine laced with steroids, that was aged like a fine wine!"
;)

IVs can be used to mask special supplements
Yeah but they are most likely used to rehydrate. If BJ isn't serious enough to train and diet he isn't likely using "Special Supplements". There aren't any PEDs that help when you don't train.

BJ got old for a "Gifted" phenom who never had to work for his success. Randy Couture started out old but his success was mostly based on hard work.

Penn had arguably the most natural talent out of any MMA fighter ever (literal prodigy in bjj, unbelievable flexibility and takedown defense, one of the best if not the best chins ever, heavy hands, etc) but he was lazy and squandered his gifts. He was too arrogant to realize this until it was far too late. Now he is trying to regain what he lost but he's too physically beaten down/mentally drained to compete anymore... yet he can't accept this and keeps trying to fight which causes him to decline more and more. He can't let go and if athletic commissions were legitimate organizations and not completely corrupt cash grabs, they would stop him
This, but I think there's more to it. He keeps coming back, changing to legit camps, but as usual, he puts on good offense in the first and then gasses badly to then get pummeled. He's only 37. He was beating Guida with the hands and dominated the first round, then, like all his fights post 2011, he had nothing left and became a punching bag to the final belt. Guys in their thirties shouldn't gas so quickly like that when they've been able to dominate for 5 rounds in the past.

I believe the drug/party allegations. I legit believe he can't stay sober for 12 weeks and he's not training at an elite level. I'm not sure what these high level coaches are thinking when their student is gassing in the second round in training 10 weeks into a camp.

I still think he has yes men around him. Maybe they're new, more established coaches, but they're probably just putting the pay cheque higher than giving him the tough talk and refusing to represent him come fight night.

Put BJ in a rehad training camp - one where he can't drink or do drugs - and I gauruntee we would see a vintage BJ. He is one of the most fundamentally talented fighters we've seen. I just think he can't live the lifestyle of an elite fighter (early nights, strict diet, no partying, no drinking or drug use). His downfall literally doesn't make sense. External lifestyle factors have to be part of why he can't fight for longer than 5min.

Back