So what happens at FW now?

The Legendary Scarface

Record since UFC 266 : 51-34
@Black
Reaction score
-Ilia beat Volk and called out Conor.. Not gonna happen.
-Yair and Ortega are fighting this weekend.
-Emmett had a big bounce back win not too long ago but definitely doesn't deserve a TS.
-Movsar probably needs one more win imo.
-Max is fighting Gaethje in a couple months.

This is a strange landscape. I would have loved to see Max v Ilia for the strap as that's the most competitive next fight for Topuria imo. I am almost mad at the Gaethje fight now because if Justin beats Max up it's gonna be hard to justify Max getting the Ilia fight even though its a different weight class.

I guess if Yair beats Ortega that would be a great fight, and the too have some animosity as well.

What do you guys think needs to happen at 145 next?

Ilia v Eloev and Allen vs winner of TCity v Yair in July then winner of this fight v winner of the former fight in November unless Max wants to come back. Then f everyone else and he’s first.

If Max beats Gaethje, which I doubt he will- give him the title shot- 2 of the best boxers in the division with Ilia and Max- would be a war-

Topuria vs Evloev would make sense. Topuria would in all likelihood destroy him and that would leave him ready to fight another real contender pretty quick.

If Yair has an impressive win this week-end, then Yair vs Topuria
If not, if Holloway wins the BMF, then Holloway vs Topuria
If not, if O'Malley has a highlight real with Vera, then O'Malley vs Topuria
If not, if Sterling cleans the floor with Qatar, then Sterling vs Topuria
If not, Evloev vs Topuria

Tommy Conlan ftw

I mean the dude ripped off the door of a Tank for crying out loud.

The dude. The dude.

-Ilia beat Volk and called out Conor.. Not gonna happen.
-Yair and Ortega are fighting this weekend.
-Emmett had a big bounce back win not too long ago but definitely doesn't deserve a TS.
-Movsar probably needs one more win imo.
-Max is fighting Gaethje in a couple months.

This is a strange landscape. I would have loved to see Max v Ilia for the strap as that's the most competitive next fight for Topuria imo. I am almost mad at the Gaethje fight now because if Justin beats Max up it's gonna be hard to justify Max getting the Ilia fight even though its a different weight class.

I guess if Yair beats Ortega that would be a great fight, and the too have some animosity as well.

What do you guys think needs to happen at 145 next?
This is so utterly stupid, but I've seen other pundits say this nonsense. Please tell us your reasoning for this? I've seen people excited for Max, and even saying Yair vs. Brian winner and we know the UFC will do nonsensical fights, in hopes for something that sells.

The chances Alex gets the rematch he's been mentioning every other sentence is highest probability, even though he should not come back soon. TBH, I can see Ilia giving Sean a shot, if he doesn't hold to his word that he won't accept, because Merab needs his shot first.

Follow the money:

- Conor ain't happening
- Doubt the UFC want O'Malley, neithter of their new stars shall have a loss

- Volk rematch makes the most money, but nobody wants to see that.

-UFC still wants that mexican market.
They hope for a Yair win. If he gets another win after Ortega, he gets a title shot.
If he finishes Ortega in spectacular fashion, he might get the titleshot after 1 win.

- Movsar is a possibility on a Abu Dhabi card. But those don't happen shortly after Ramadan. So not until May.
At least I think he is muslim???

- Holloway doesn't fit the timeline, fighting in April, with a win he gets title shot in the future

- Ortega will lose and will have 1 win in the last 6 years. He's out.

- Allen is out 0-2 paper doesn't care if his fight was close.
- Emmet ofc is out

Leaves us with Volk, Evloev or Yair
Nobody is interested in Volk rematch, Evloev doesn't fit the timeline and the community won't want to see Yair with 1 win streak.
But the UFC doesn't care about what the fans think, as long as they pay.

As dominant of a champ as Volk was, he needs a break. Unless Max aged overnight I don’t think his next fight will matter much for title contention at FW and I hope this is the route they go with, especially if Max pulls it off. If I’m putting the house on it though I’d say they go with the Volk rematch sadly. Certainly possible that Ortega or Yair can get their foot in the door this weekend as well.

People are forgetting about Aljo. He's joining the division and is a recent ex-champ at BW, how does he figure into things if he beats Kattar badly? He will probably get a title shot sooner than later if that happens.

Or, at least, he will shout about deserving one, not that Dana will risk him body-locking Topuria for 5 rounds.

Volk has earned the right to an immediate rematch.

Max or Evloev thereafter.
Not anymore. Rematches haver been ruined for everyone now. I don't care if a guy got 6 knockouts in a row holding the title. The UFC took a good and respectable gesture and gave it to guys with zero defenses who get brutally knocked out in the first round.

Not anymore. Rematches haver been ruined for everyone now. I don't care if a guy got 6 knockouts in a row holding the title. The UFC took a good and respectable gesture and gave it to guys with zero defenses who get brutally knocked out in the first round.

Not sure what that has to do with Volk being the most deserving of the next crack at Ilia bro?

I'm predicting a whole lot of belt squatting before anything happens.

Topuria will want to milk his new fame for all that it is worth.

Follow the money:

- Conor ain't happening
- Doubt the UFC want O'Malley, neithter of their new stars shall have a loss

- Volk rematch makes the most money, but nobody wants to see that.

-UFC still wants that mexican market.
They hope for a Yair win. If he gets another win after Ortega, he gets a title shot.
If he finishes Ortega in spectacular fashion, he might get the titleshot after 1 win.

- Movsar is a possibility on a Abu Dhabi card. But those don't happen shortly after Ramadan. So not until May.
At least I think he is muslim???

- Holloway doesn't fit the timeline, fighting in April, with a win he gets title shot in the future

- Ortega will lose and will have 1 win in the last 6 years. He's out.

- Allen is out 0-2 paper doesn't care if his fight was close.
- Emmet ofc is out

Leaves us with Volk, Evloev or Yair
Nobody is interested in Volk rematch, Evloev doesn't fit the timeline and the community won't want to see Yair with 1 win streak.
But the UFC doesn't care about what the fans think, as long as they pay.
Everyone wants a Volk rematch but they want him to take time off first

I wouldn't be surprised if they make topuria vs. Ortega/yair winner in spain. Then they stiff arm Evloev and make him fight volk, (a tough match up for evloev even if volk is old or chinny) later in the year for the title shot after that.

Last edited:
Not sure if O'Malley is serious when he talks about moving up. I just don't see him having much of a chance vs. Ilia.

Back