Something Doesn't Add Up About Punk...

You know a fighter is doomed when people start saying he's got a lot of heart. It's basically code for Jesus look at the retard.

assuming he was training for those 2 years im thinking there was a mental issue causing him to basically not apply anything he learned

Did you not read what I said? Even at a leisurely pace, one would get far beyond what CM Punk evinced with two years of training. He is worse than every blue belt I have met.
Then what's your point? That some people just don't get it? Some people just don't have the coordination or raw assets to do MMA?

Yeah. Welcome to earth, where there are bell curves and shit.

I get that he is very unathletic, and that he is old as well. But the level of skill he displayed was beyond abysmal. Two years won't make you into a good fighter, but it will at least develop some fundamentals about movement. Punk literally could not throw a punch, and his ground game was worse than literally every blue belt I've ever rolled with or seen. Even an unathletic person at a leisurely pace with two years of training would go far beyond what Punk evinced. The only time I recall seeing someone worse was Giant Silva, and that is a guy with serious growth and coordination issues.

This makes me question just how much the guy actually trained.
And I think it was the better part of 3 years and with an elite camp.
Definitely a big SMH moment.

Look at WMMA, no matter how much they train they still look bad. Ronda had been training boxing for years, longer than Ngannou probably. If you're limited by your genetics/age/gender you just can't look good no matter how much you train

did you roll with punk? put your blue belts in the octagon on PPV while being punched and they would probably piss their pants and I'm not even defending punk he's god awful

It could be stage fright, lack or sparring, or something. All I am saying is I the degree of ability does not correspond to the time he spent training. The only cases of fighters who look as bad are, again, cases of people with disabilities like Giant Silva.

Then what's your point? That some people just don't get it? Some people just don't have the coordination or raw assets to do MMA?

Yeah. Welcome to earth, where there are bell curves and shit.

No, my point is that he must have either not trained much at all, or at least not sparred MMA rounds.

All of the blue belts you’ve encountered probably have little in common with CM Punk. He’s almost 40, has a body that’s been destroyed by a full career in pro wrestling, has no competitive sport background, no martial arts or boxing background, isn’t particularly fast, strong, athletic or coordinated and was thrust onto the biggest competitive mma stage in the world—based on no other qualification than his celebrity.

If you’ve been around bjj or martial arts long enough, you will see that are some people who are just destined to suck. They train, they try, they commit...yet they continue to suck. There are also people who are good in training but melt under the pressure of competion.

I’m not ready to assert that CM Punk didn’t commit to his preparation for this fight. There are too many factors to consider and not information available to us. He very well just might be completely wrong for this sport, despite his best efforts. He may have got beat by a can, but that can is an actual fighter. Not a beat up old celebrity who thought he would give this whole mma thing a try.

I've met a fair bit of older people who train also, and a lot of very uncoordinated younger folk. They can still develop a minimum of fundamentals with training, certainly far beyond what Punk showed. AT first I thought his hands were trash and he just did not know how to set up the takedown or move. But once he went for that guillotine and then got on the ground I was flabbergasted.

My hunch is that he didn't spar MMA rounds much, so he was really frozen and did not know what to do in an actual fight. He might do better in a pure BJJ match.

Two years won't make you into a good fighter, but it will at least develop some fundamentals about movement.

Which Punk can probably also show in training, but an actual fight is completely different. Two years is almost nothing for even a guy with some talent, let alone for an average joe. Punk did not look bad, he looked like your average 40 year old man with a couple years of training, but zero actual fighting experience. He likely even did a bit better than men of his age would do on average in those circumstances.

People just have no idea how bad people are in fighting on average.

They are bafflingly horrendous. He must have a disability if he trained and fights like that.

Or, and this maybe makes some sense: he just didn't spar MMA rounds much if at all. So with the nerves and all, he just didn't have experience to know how to use what he learned during drills and rolls, at all.

I checked his training footage and apparently, this is supposed to be sparring:

Anyone reading between the lines could see that Roufus knew that Punk had zero ability. This was obvious when he kept coming up with excuses to delay Punk's debut. Punk said he wanted to fight in the fall of 2005, then Duke said he should wait for UFC 200, then he should wait again. Then he kept delaying his return and now is talking about Punk being better in a third fight, two years from now. He's been getting paid top dollar to humor this guy for over three years.

No, my point is that he must have either not trained much at all, or at least not sparred MMA rounds.
It's possible. And honestly I hope that's the case because if not... wow.

There are some people, no matter how hard they try, they just can't do it. It's sad but it's unfortunately just life. One of my friends is about as dedicated as you can imagine but she can't do a pullup to save her life. Meanwhile one of my other friends eats like a pig but she has the perfect hip-to-waist ratio and can do pullups with ease.

Yeah, even though they are going extremely leisurely that looks better than his octagon performance.

My hunch is he didn't train hard MMA rounds so he just couldn't put it together.

Two years is almost nothing for even a guy with some talent, let alone for an average joe. Punk did not look bad, he looked like your average 40 year old man with a couple years of training, but zero actual fighting experience. He likely even did a bit better than men of his age would do on average in those circumstances.

People just have no idea how bad people are in fighting on average.

I completely disagree. Two years go a long, long way with decent coaches and rolling/sparring. The difference between two years of BJJ and boxing and none is astronomical.

I completely disagree. Two years go a long, long way with decent coaches and rolling/sparring. The difference between two years of BJJ and boxing and none is astronomical.

You dont even get to see average joes taking pro fights with two years of training. And if you do, they look just as bad.

Yeah, even though they are going extremely leisurely that looks better than his octagon performance.

My hunch is he didn't train hard MMA rounds so he just couldn't put it together.

The thing is, in the beginning you work your way up to hard sparring until you find your offensive-defensive style. The thing is, CM Punk just goes through the motion because he has no real passion for the martial arts. He himself mentioned he is doing it for the glory and that's fine but he just has zero interest in the subtlety of the moves.

These are famous YouTube kids fighting each other in boxing after 6 month of training:

The thing is, in the beginning you work your way up to hard sparring until you find your offensive-defensive style. The thing is, CM Punk just goes through the motion because he has no real passion for the martial arts. He himself mentioned he is doing it for the glory and that's fine but he just has zero interest in the subtlety of the moves.

These are famous YouTube kids fighting each other in boxing after 6 month of training:

I think you and me have differing definitions of the word "famous."

I don't know who the hell any of these fuccbois are lol

Punk always looks like he is just pretending to fight, he usually just jabs at a guy's gloves and adds in a right to the gloves now and then. He never looks like he has any plan to really hurt the other guy. Oh, the spinny leg kick of doom...

Nerds want to believe you can get tough and athletic by just training hard. He's not built for fighting and would suck at the pro-level even if he trained full-time for 20 years.

Back