Something Doesn't Add Up About Punk...

i went down to danny's gym years ago when kyle was training there, before he ever fought in ufc. there were basically only two or three good gyms in queensland back in those days, and integrated was one of them. my team competed against integrated on a number of occasions in the amateurs years ago, it used to be amusing as they were one of the only teams in aus that actually trained in wrestling. thankfully that has changed.

Shit man you have been around for awhile.

He reacted fine to hearing and Mir and couture. Not allowing hard sparring is smart, half these guys spar hard and get injured

No he really doesnt I know Bork is probably your hero or something so try not to take it personally.

Like everything else, the ability to learn and acquire new skills declines with age.

Shit man you have been around for awhile.
fought back in 2009, but haven't really done much since. my brother fought on the same card that kyle fought george on years ago, even got to meet steve erwin. he used to own property in the same town that i live in and came up and introduced himself. i was even around when danny was still fighting. we were kinda famous for being drunken hillbillies. i used to take mates with no prior mma training and throw them in the amateurs for a lark. some of them even did pretty well.

In all honesty, it was a mutual agreement. Punk would get WWE fans to start watching UFC fights. In return, the UFC would give him a small fortune to fight guys who weren't likely to send him to the morgue.

i had that thought too when i watched his last fight. but then i thought to myself, maybe it's the pro wrestling training that fucked him over?

i say that, because in pro wrestling, everything is like the exact OPPOSITE of real fighting. just like in the movies, all the punches, and kicks, and all that, they have to be SEEN. so you have to make the motions of punching and all that much more obvious and exaggerated so the crowd can understand what's happening.

while in fighting, everything you're trying to do, is disguise everything. you don't want anyone to know what you're trying to do. you don't want anyone to see what you're gonna do.

2 years seems like a long time to be training MMA, but i don't think it's long enough to help UNTRAIN what he learned for decades as a pro wrestler.

I'm tending to lean this way too. Not just the prowrestling training but the mileage on his body from prowrestling. I've seen guys older than Punk barely start training simply to get into shape for health reasons look better than Punk after a year to 18 months.

I think his prowrestling training, doing that stuff for almost 20 years messed with his instincts. The way you throw a punch or throw a kick, in prowrestling everything is light and telegraphed. Even the two punches Punk seemed to land on Jackson had no pop or sting to them. Jackson's face was completely clean at the end of the fight. That's why Punk looked awkward as fuck. I remember a while ago in an interview Punk asked Brock Lesnar what was the hardest transition from prowrestling to MMA. Lesnar told Punk that going light or heavy was the hardest part. In prowrestling when you pin a guy, you're not putting all your weight on the guy because you want him to kick out at a 2 count. Same goes for all the holds. The sleeper holds, the punches, kicks etc. It's all light. Where in MMA, it better be hard or good luck trying to win.

Thanks for making the EXACT same point I made on page 2 of this thread gents. Jeebus.

It basically adds up.. to zilch, he was not talented in anything other than choreographed play move around dancing.
0+0=0

I feel like it's not even about "learning" things, it's like he's missing half the tendons in his limbs to replicate the simplest monkey-see-monkey-do moves.
Using right as the norm, it's like he has 2 left arms and 2 left legs.
Though, even if I replaced my right arm/leg with another left I don't think I would look as unathletic as Punk did.
He just has zero coordination, definitely not "one with his body".

For fucks sake he throws punches like a 12 year old girl pitching a softball. This is 100% his coaches fault. Every time he throws that weak shit they should stop, remind him how to throw a punch, and then continue. Every time he does it, stop and correct his form. Eventually he'd get it right. I just think most coaches don't give enough of a shit to break their fighters bad habits. Punk is the worst I've seen, but there are many fighters with awful technique that makes me wonder wtf their coaches are doing.
He has no footwork and leaves his chin in the air. They should be yelling at him every time he walks in with his chin up like he does.

He has no footwork and leaves his chin in the air. They should be yelling at him every time he walks in with his chin up like he does.

Or do what I do and what done to me. Punch him hard in the face till he learns haha

Did you ever post proof in here of your BJJ blue belt and three years of boxing or did you just ignore it and keep blabbing on.

Yeah, I don't need to prove myself to you or anyone. Feel free to not believe me.

I get that he is very unathletic, and that he is old as well. But the level of skill he displayed was beyond abysmal. Two years won't make you into a good fighter, but it will at least develop some fundamentals about movement. Punk literally could not throw a punch, and his ground game was worse than literally every blue belt I've ever rolled with or seen. Even an unathletic person at a leisurely pace with two years of training would go far beyond what Punk evinced. The only time I recall seeing someone worse was Giant Silva, and that is a guy with serious growth and coordination issues.

This makes me question just how much the guy actually trained.
idk man, there are truly levels to this game.

its entirely possible CM Punk dominates a guy with equal experience. but mike jackson has years of experience in the gym, so it makes sense he would make a guy with much less experience look like a total noob... its just not an equal match up

thats why he doesnt belong in the ufc.

idk man, there are truly levels to this game.

its entirely possible CM Punk dominates a guy with equal experience. but mike jackson has years of experience in the gym, so it makes sense he would make a guy with much less experience look like a total noob... its just not an equal match up

thats why he doesnt belong in the ufc.
MJ has the body of a guy who has never set foot in the gym and only eats candy. Punk is just terribad at everything other than writing comics but they probably suck too.

MJ has the body of a guy who has never set foot in the gym and only eats candy. Punk is just terribad at everything other than writing comics but they probably suck too.
He must be good at something else as he's pretty rich. I would say he's been pretty sucessful in life.

Mike has been training martial arts for hears

He must be good at something else as he's pretty rich. I would say he's been pretty sucessful in life.
He's a good scripted trash talker and showman which is what made his money, just terrible at anything involving physical activity.

I get that he is very unathletic, and that he is old as well. But the level of skill he displayed was beyond abysmal. Two years won't make you into a good fighter, but it will at least develop some fundamentals about movement. Punk literally could not throw a punch, and his ground game was worse than literally every blue belt I've ever rolled with or seen. Even an unathletic person at a leisurely pace with two years of training would go far beyond what Punk evinced. The only time I recall seeing someone worse was Giant Silva, and that is a guy with serious growth and coordination issues.

This makes me question just how much the guy actually trained.
Dont think he cared he was just there to get paid.

Yeah, even though they are going extremely leisurely that looks better than his octagon performance.

My hunch is he didn't train hard MMA rounds so he just couldn't put it together.

Well, while I may be 100% off, based on the footage I've seen, I immediately thought "he isn't cut for fighting."

Respect to him and I think he *did* improve compared to the videos we've seen before first fight, but he simply isn't meant to fight. It's like he improved 500%, but started at 2% so still sucky.

And not sure his ceiling is much more than that.

He's a tough dude, though, ate good shots and kept going.

All in all, respect, but please no more.

This is the thing though. He's not got 2 years of bjj, he's not got 2 years of boxing, or 2 years of wrestling. He's got 2 years of cross training all of the above.

If you're at a club with decent brown belts, they would crush a decent blue belt just as easily as a decent white belt. As a 2 year blue belt while cross training other disciplines, I doubt that's any more than an attendance belt.

Wasn't he just fighting some 0-2 dude, though? Not any 'decent brown belt'.

It was like Guys Who Got Raped by Mickey Gall Tournament

And he got eliminated in first round.

he didn't even have cardio.

like ok, I get it if you can't fight even though most pro-wrestlers are known to be great brawlers... this guy clearly doesn't have the 'look' nor does he have the technique or agility... but any tom dick or hairy can train cardio.

This man didn't even have cardio. Just a lazy person in my opinion. He got away with it in the WWE but honestly, any man with a black belt would school this fool.

Hell, Cyborg would kill him

Back