Songs you secretly like and would never admit to like in public...

It doesn't fit to criteria necessarily because I'm not really ashamed at all but I can see people making fun of me for it.......but anything by Lana Del rey. That girl is spews pure art to me and is totally my style.

It doesn't fit to criteria necessarily because I'm not really ashamed at all but I can see people making fun of me for it.......but anything by Lana Del rey. That girl is spews pure art to me and is totally my style.

She went to Fordham University while I was there. I think at least one of my friends had a class with her.

i fuckin jam out to Cher "Believe"

all my friends and family know it

some even join in singing

lol I really liked the Cher song Strong Enough but sure as shit wouldn't let people know circa middle school in '99.

I don't care if people ridicule my taste in music. I listen to what I want without shame.

Can't remember if I posted in this thread when it first started...

But that old 80s ballad, 'Time after Time', by Cyndi Lauper.

For some reason whenever it hear it, sober or drunk, I feel like I'm gonna well up a little. It's just a weird tune that has struck a chord in my heart for decades!

I also always thought some post-hardcore/emo band (not the mascara kind, the 'short hair, check shirt, normal dudes' type) could've made a fucking killer cover of that song.

I like a lot of catchy dumb shit, and I'm not afraid to listen to any music in public.

I've got one. I always really liked Enya's Watermark and Shepherd Moon albums. Her music was (and is) always derided as "fluff" and "soulless", but can you think of anyone else who shared her sound? She's every bit as distinctive as the most acclaimed bands of the past half century who are constantly credited for progressing musical culture. Who doesn't immediately recognize her hits, her sound? The difference is that the imitation of her sound produces endless streams of entirely crappy elevator music...instead of endless streams of almost entirely crappy, flash-in-the-pan pop hits that we're embarrassed to admit a decade or two later we really, really dug (which, if you think about it, is probably about 90% of the stuff you've liked in your life).

The pinnacle of her sound was easily reached in these two albums. Everything before and after is yawning echo, but those two albums, in spite of the universal contempt for them as landmarks of new age mediocrity, really do the stand the test of time in terms of their appeal. The music may be trite, but so is pretty much every "deep" thought that any of us fancy we may have had; so is the most extreme and personal emotions that we have ever felt. It's like Tyler Durden said in Fight Club. Contrary to what your parents told you; you're not exactly a fucking snowflake. That doesn't mean our personal journeys will ever stop being the most important one in the world to ourselves.

For me, songs like Caribbean Blue are sort of a shrine to the persisting truth of this "soulless" platitude. Yeah, it's toothless. Yeah, it's peaceful. Yeah, it's safe. This doesn't mean that meadows don't inspire something in us, and her stuff reminds me of that: cascading walls of soothing sound like sheets of water falling into water. So she's the Thomas Kinkade of musicians. Fine. Whatever. Don't care. Hate on.

I'll see your Enya and raise you Sade...

A music cringe thread. I'm in. This thread needs some old school cringe.

Haha, yea that one is a little obscure.

I've heard it sampled so many times. Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, Boyz Noize and all sorts of others.

It was nice to hear the original, (which is still a sample) but really cool. Thanks for that one mayne.

Back