Sonny Liston vs George Foreman

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How would you characterize Liston on the boxing spectrum of brawler to boxers boxers? And how does he compare technically to Foreman?

I think Liston, aside from the jab, is the technically superior boxer. But I am not at all sure he would beat Foreman, even though Chuck Wepner who fought both said Liston punched the hardest. I imagine a slug fest since neither one is an outside fighter

He is technically the better boxer but he's not the better fighter.

You could say that Frazier with his head movement etc was also a better boxer than Foreman, sometimes the best boxer doesn't win its the best fighter and in this case I see Foreman beating Liston.

Just take Ali for example, Ali handled Liston with relative ease, Ali did not have it easy with Foreman.

He is technically the better boxer but he's not the better fighter.

You could say that Frazier with his head movement etc was also a better boxer than Foreman, sometimes the best boxer doesn't win its the best fighter and in this case I see Foreman beating Liston.

Just take Ali for example, Ali handled Liston with relative ease, Ali did not have it easy with Foreman.

Really? I thought Ali outboxed Foreman the majority of the fight and made him look just as bad as Liston looked. The match wasn't close when Ali stopped him

Really? I thought Ali outboxed Foreman the majority of the fight and made him look just as bad as Liston looked. The match wasn't close when Ali stopped him

Boxed? Ali laid on the Ropes for 8 rounds and prayed to God is what happened.

Boxed lol.

I read this an thought, who the fuck could have watched that fight and seen that?

Then I saw your username.

Last edited:

Boxed lol.

No he didn't. It was an intentional strategy to have Foreman punch himself out. Ali got the better of him in most exchanges. That was not a close fight.

I read this an thought, we the fuck could have watched that fight and seen that?

Then I saw your username.

Or I just saw endless displays of Alis superior handspeed which Foreman couldn't cope with.

Here Ali is just a few days after the fight. He didn't have a scratch on him

Or I just saw endless displays of Alis superior handspeed which Foreman couldn't cope with.

Here Ali is just a few days after the fight. He didn't have a scratch on him

How’d Ali do in the Earnie Shavers fight?

I saw a man pummeling another mans fists into submission with his face.

Such a shame there is no recording of the sparring sessions they had.

Boxed lol.
Watch the fight again. Ali beat the shit out of Foreman while tiring him out. People remember that fight so wrong.

For once Im in total agreement with Spacetime about a fight, lol

Hey, GUYS!

Winning is easy, just pick the scariest killer in the division and "lay on the ropes and pray" and after 8 rounds of doing nothing apparently all you have to do is lightly tap the opponent, and instant KO. Nothing else is required to be a champ or beat a killer like Foreman, just lay back and take it lol

Such a cute fable this fight created

Watch the fight again. Ali beat the shit out of Foreman while tiring him out. People remember that fight so wrong.

Yeah and Ali didn't pray to anybody while on the ropes. Lol. He was taunting Foreman the hole fight

I got Foreman, too bad Foreman, Liston and Shavers didn't fight each other

Hmm....

I think the ali losses have hurt listons stock a lot

But i hope people understand.....this guy was an absolute monster in his prime

Its 50/50 for me

Liston would put a beating on Foreman and get a late stoppage imo. His straights were beautiful and they would be on George’s face all night. That said, there would be some scary moments early on. Id expect all out hell for the first 3-5 rounds.

Liston would need to stay behind his jab until the second half of the fight. I think once it reaches that point Foreman would be worn down from head hunting and Liston would really pour it on him.

it's real simple. liston had much better upper body movement, cleaner punches and a better conventional guard (that's what won win the fight against cleveland williams) but he tended to have dumb feet at times. foreman could be wild with his punching and had a very open guard, but he had some of the best footwork i have ever seen. three or four steps and he had his opponent on the ropes every times. this combined with his ability to set up those ridiculous power shot made him the one of the scariest men that ever lived. i wouldn't bet two peanuts and a heartbeat on tyson against foreman.

Liston would put a beating on Foreman and get a late stoppage imo. His straights were beautiful and they would be on George’s face all night. That said, there would be some scary moments early on. Id expect all out hell for the first 3-5 rounds.

Liston would need to stay behind his jab until the second half of the fight. I think once it reaches that point Foreman would be worn down from head hunting and Liston would really pour it on him.
i much preferred liston's punching style to foreman's. his right was nearly as clean and probably more powerful than louis's.

Boxed lol.
Watch it again. Ali did lay against the ropes but he also landed a lot of clean punches. It wasn't the entirely one sided fight you usually hear about.

Maybe it would look like the Lyle-Foreman fight and just be a blood bath that could go either way.

Hard to see how either one dominates the other. Might be a toss-upp.

But my feeling is on young peak big George. He really only struggled against fast opponents, and Liston wasn't that type, and Liston could be broken for sure.

Back