Television Sons of Anarchy revisited

First two seasons were good. Then it went off the rails when Kurt Sutter got full control (except for the great finale to S3 when they got revenge on the ATF bitch).
100% this. Second season in particular was very good. The rest was eh to cringe.

Oz is a great show too although I’ve never rewatched it, maybe I should
I'm currently on season 4 of my rewatch. Been pumping through it the past two weeks.

The first 2 seasons are great.
The 3rd was meh.
The 4th was great again.
Then after that I forgot what seasons were good or trash, but the final season was absolute trash with a finale that was horrible as Dexter's.

Its the most inconsistent show I've ever watched all the way through. The highest of highs (due to it having the same producers as The Shield) and the lowest of lows... for whatever reason. I never bothered to look into which new producers where brought in after some must have left. Same with the writers.

Never bothered with the Mayans spin-off.
take a bow 2.gif

Nailed it. Was pretty disappointing to see the extremes they took it to. They should have just kept things far simpler and more believable. It was a shame they had Taylor Sheridan as a cast member but never brought him on board as a writer. The guy has become probably the most serious player in quality series.

Mayans was also good for the first two seasons, then went full meh.

Always enjoyed the deluded juxtaposition between Jax and Tara trying to be this all American happy little family while Jax is constantly running around indiscriminately murdering people, like thats just an incidental footnote to being a good dad. It's a nice long show that you can take or leave most scenes which makes it great for background noise. It does have it's smutty soap opera appeal though, same as getting wrecked and shithousing a bunch of Burger King can hit the spot sometimes.

Always enjoyed the deluded juxtaposition between Jax and Tara trying to be this all American happy little family while Jax is constantly running around indiscriminately murdering people, like thats just an incidental footnote to being a good dad. It's a nice long show that you can take or leave most scenes which makes it great for background noise. It does have it's smutty soap opera appeal though, same as getting wrecked and shithousing a bunch of Burger King can hit the spot sometimes.
I never really liked Tara. She only had a couple of cool moments where she fully embraced the fact that she was married into a biker gang. For the most part though, her entire character was a woman who knowingly marries an outlaw biker and then relentlessly complains that her husband is an outlaw biker.

I never really liked Tara. She only had a couple of cool moments where she fully embraced the fact that she was married into a biker gang. For the most part though, her entire character was a woman who knowingly marries an outlaw biker and then relentlessly complains that her husband is an outlaw biker.

Yes a woman knowingly marrying into something then complaining about it is so Hollywood...

You can not like, but it happens quite frequently i might add....

Later seasons definitely jumped the shark. Early seasons were awesome.

It just got way too over the top. And Opie’s fate was fucking brutal.

Later seasons definitely jumped the shark. Early seasons were awesome.

It just got way too over the top. And Opie’s fate was fucking brutal.

Credit to the show runners, was Lem level...but lacked a well written buildup which made it more shock value than tragic

Credit to the show runners, was Lem level...but lacked a well written buildup which made it more shock value than tragic
Dude, Shane apologizing to Lem after was just such a gut punch.

Then Vic’s response… Holy shit that show was so damn good.

They seemed like the weakest gang ever. They were constantly being outsmarted and outdone by whoever was their nemesis each season.

If Jax came to my business and tried to intimidate me, I'd tell him to STFU and go make me a sandwich.

Clay was cool, though.

They seemed like the weakest gang ever. They were constantly being outsmarted and outdone by whoever was their nemesis each season.

If Jax came to my business and tried to intimidate me, I'd tell him to STFU and go make me a sandwich.

Clay was cool, though.
That's what make them likable though in the beginning. Clay even says to Zoebelle at one point "I'm a mechanic and a Harley enthusiast." He was being facetious but it's also true. They weren't hardened criminals. They were a biker club that occasionally would run guns. That's why each murder in the first 3 seasons had weight to it and when they dealt with "real" criminals, it felt dangerous. The vote scene when they decide on the cartel business is a great example. They all look terrified and out of their depth to do it. Then almost overnight Jax is outsmarting Oakland street gangs and working the entire California underground scene. It made no sense.

Back