Squatting with a vertical shin

I suppose a lot of it was the way you worded it. You really don't have a deload cycle, a deload is part of your training cycle or program. Also, most people don't run a seperate dynamic cycle or block.

The deload cycle is usually only one week long.

As for the "state champions" in powerlifting, I don't hold that in very high regard.

I honestly couldn't care less what you hold in high regard.

State championship, regionals, etc. aren't usually highly competitive. Most of the national level lifters don't even bother to lift in local meets unless they're trying to qualify for a big meet. I'm not trying to be overly negative, but placing top 3 in a weightclass at a local meet isn't a huge achievement. Our usapl state championship was last month and 1455 in the 205 class took silver. Not a bad total total, but nothing spectacular. I believe bronze was something like 1370. Most of the time at a local meet around a 400-450 wilks will win a weightclass. My point is I'm familiar enough with powerlifting to know that "top 3 at state" or "state champions" doesn't mean a whole lot. I think the hardest part about putting together a good powerlifting team is finding and organizing people that all want to lift at the same meet.

205lbs would be the 93kg class.
1455lbs would be 661.4kg

That's 310 in the all time ranking for his weight class in USAPL. That's more than "not bad".

Where are you on that board? Since you don't think winning those meets is shit, then I assume you've won all of your meets.

Tried squatting with vertical shins doing box squats after feeling so much better using vertical shins in the hex bar deadlift and have zero knee pain the next day.

Definitely the way forwards.

Feels like I might be able to keep pushing all season this way instead of having to accommodate decline.

Aren’t you always meant to squat with vertical shins?

The deload cycle is usually only one week long.

I honestly couldn't care less what you hold in high regard.

205lbs would be the 93kg class.
1455lbs would be 661.4kg

That's 310 in the all time ranking for his weight class in USAPL. That's more than "not bad".

Where are you on that board? Since you don't think winning those meets is shit, then I assume you've won all of your meets.
1455@205=414 wilks, not bad but definately intermediate. The 93/205 weight class has only existed for 7 years in usapl/ipf. Taking that into consideration, do you really think #310 is really good? I would being in the top 100 would be decent.

1455@205=414 wilks, not bad but definately intermediate. The 93/205 weight class has only existed for 7 years in usapl/ipf. Taking that into consideration, do you really think #310 is really good? I would being in the top 100 would be decent.

I asked where your name is on the database.

Since USAPL isn't shit to you, clearly you're top of your weight class. So which class and what meets did you place 1st?

Maybe you can come show my team how to compete in a manner that you hold in high regard.

Last edited:
Not everyone is going to be able to squat with verticle shins. Depends a lot on your femur, torso, and tibia lengths. I tend to break with my knees and dont really try to sit back too much. FYI, Im a shitty squatter.

I'm a decent squatter and do the same thing.

Kirk Karwoski is one of the best squatters of all time and did that.

Honestly, I thought the internet lifting community had moved past the whole shin angle/knees going over toes thing.

Umm. What? 310th all-time in a specific weight class, in a specific federation? Given the depth of powerlifting, that's horrendous, IMO.

Being ranked 310th on an overall all-time USAPL Wilks list still wouldn't be "good".

I dunno, maybe we just have different standards.

Since USAPL isn't shit to you, clearly you're top of your weight class. So which class and what meets did you place 1st?

Maybe you can come show my team how to compete in a manner that you hold in high regard.

Ah, never mind. The jimmies are already rustling strongly.

Honestly, I thought the internet lifting community had moved past the whole shin angle/knees going over toes thing.
Eh Alan Thrall did a video defending the “Rippetoe” squat in which the knees travel a couple inches over the toes.

Umm. What? 310th all-time in a specific weight class, in a specific federation? Given the depth of powerlifting, that's horrendous, IMO.

Being ranked 310th on an overall all-time USAPL Wilks list still wouldn't be "good".

I dunno, maybe we just have different standards.

It's definitely not bad at all to be top 300 all time in your weight class in the country in the biggest federation. It's not world class elite, but it's certainly nothing to be ashamed of at all.

And I don't know you, but where do you sit on the rankings just curious?

I never said usapl wasn't legit, I said being #310 isn't something to brag about. 414-420 wilks is what the #300 ranked lifters in the 83, 93, and 105 are listed at. As I said before, those wilks numbers are ok, but very much intermediate.

I've only lifted in one usapl meet, and I took best lifter. I didn't have a great day and went 6/9. Did I win, because I'm a elite lifter? No, I won, because it was a local meet and most of the really good lifters stayed home.

FWIW, at my peak of lifting, had I competed in the USAPL at the weight class immediately below my weight at the time (fat), if I could have hit my best gym lifts, I would have set two state records.

I know that's A LOT of "if"s and "could have"s, but I'm just saying this for perspective (supporting Drew) because it goes to show how shallow the talent pool is. I had only lifted for a small handful of years and, while above average (and average is an extremely low bar), I would have looked (on paper) like a very good lifter.

In the USAPL? Jim doesn't even live in the USA.

You realize that USAPL is simply the United States affiliate for IPF right?

I never said usapl wasn't legit, I said being #310 isn't something to brag about. 414-420 wilks is what the #300 ranked lifters in the 83, 93, and 105 are listed at. As I said before, those wilks numbers are ok, but very much intermediate.

I've only lifted in one usapl meet, and I took best lifter. I didn't have a great day and went 6/9. Did I win, because I'm a elite lifter? No, I won, because it was a local meet and most of the really good lifters stayed home.

Being ranked 300 in the country for all years the weight class has been around is absolutely something to be proud about and it's silly as fuck to say otherwise.

What federation are you ranked in then?

I think most people have. Like op said matt wenning is one of the few people that still preaches it.

You realize that USAPL is simply the United States affiliate for IPF right?

Being ranked 300 in the country for all years the weight class has been around is absolutely something to be proud about and it's silly as fuck to say otherwise.

What federation are you ranked in then?
I'm not sure what feds im ranked in. I've lifted in usapl, nasa, aau, uspa, 100% raw, and hardcore.

Being ranked #300 is nothing to be ashamed of, but is that really something to be proud of? There are/were 299 people that had better wilks scores. That's a lot of people ahead of you.

I'm not sure what feds im ranked in. I've lifted in usapl, nasa, aau, uspa, 100% raw, and hardcore.

Being ranked #300 is nothing to be ashamed of, but is that really something to be proud of? There are/were 299 people that had better wilks scores. That's a lot of people ahead of you.

Honestly you just come across like a massive jackass and you can't even keep your own shitty statements straight. You went from saying it's horrendous to it's nothing to be ashamed of in the next post. Which is it?

So where are you on that not highly regarded database? Well.. going off information you posted in this forum, I believe I found your record at 83kgs. You are ranked 467th in your weight class, which according to you is
beyond horrendous.

So you are essentially trashing someone who's ranked higher than you.

Last edited:
Back