Star Trek: Discovery V4.0 (Premieres Sept. 24, 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enterprise took a few episodes to hit it's stride but I thought it was very good.

That theme song was inexplicable though. Funny that they added a drumbeat after season 1 rather than shelve it and admit the misstep. Song belonged on a Lifetime Original Series.
The Network convinced the producers, that they needed a fresh modern song, because the Orchestral music was to dated. They played the opening and with U2's "beautiful day" and assured them they had permission to use it. Network went to U2, who wanted a huge amount of money, so the network commissioned a song from the Songwriter who recently had a big hit with Aerosmith's "don't wanna miss a thing" from Armageddon. They network waited so long before telling the producers they couldn't get U2, they had to go with the "I got Faith" song. I actually like the intro video, but the song is bad.

The Network convinced the producers, that they needed a fresh modern song, because the Orchestral music was to dated. They played the opening and with U2's "beautiful day" and assured them they had permission to use it. Network went to U2, who wanted a huge amount of money, so the network commissioned a song from the Songwriter who recently had a big hit with Aerosmith's "don't wanna miss a thing" from Armageddon. They network waited so long before telling the producers they couldn't get U2, they had to go with the "I got Faith" song. I actually like the intro video, but the song is bad.
The intro video is great, and I don't think the song is so bad. I actually thought it was a good change of pace.

Last edited:
I completely agree with Picard being out of character in First Contact. I would argue Worf was as well. That movie was a steaming pile and yet it was the most popular of all the TNG movies.

The only TNG movie I enjoyed was Nemesis. It gets tons of hate, but I thought it was a great movie.
I didn't like any of them. I thought they issued the cast really poorly, especially First Contact-- this is a STNG movie, who is this woman getting all this screen time and dialogue? She got more dialogue than members of the main cast ffs.
They seemed to have made the TNG films for fans of some other franchise.

I'm curious to see where the new show goes. It'll be a bad sign if they hit the well early... you know the ST well. Borg, tits in bunnysuits, etc.

My opinion, not enough character stories, too many "powerful new enemy of the week" eps.

Agreed. I also really didn't like how every other episode was an anomaly of the week, and not one episode moved the characters forward at all (which is I guess exactly what you just said).

I didn't like any of them. I thought they issued the cast really poorly, especially First Contact-- this is a STNG movie, who is this woman getting all this screen time and dialogue? She got more dialogue than members of the main cast ffs.
They seemed to have made the TNG films for fans of some other franchise.

I'm curious to see where the new show goes. It'll be a bad sign if they hit the well early... you know the ST well. Borg, tits in bunnysuits, etc.

As far as I'm concerned, Discovery has already blown it. The re-imagining of the Klingons is awful. The uniforms are awful. The acting looks awful. I will watch the first episode, but I don't think I will see anything that makes me want to continue.

Good point about that chick in First Contact. Have you ever heard of Brandon Hardesty? He used to do great re-enactments from popular films. He did a hilarious re-enactment from First Contact...

Last edited:
Agreed. I also really didn't like how every other episode was an anomaly of the week, and not one episode moved the characters forward at all (which is I guess exactly what you just said).
LOL
A lot of the time I end up enjoying the "bottle" episodes most- those that are self contained and don't move a season plot forward. ST has become too reliant on huge story arcs across seasons, which requires sharp writing and pacing. The big story arc is nice but I prefer character development- THAT'S why we love ST. They can hire big name actors and have lots of 'splosions and bewbs, but if the dialogue is garbage nothing will save it and it'll last two seasons.

As far as I'm concerned, Discovery has already blown it. The re-imagining of the Klingons is awful. The uniforms are awful. The acting looks awful. I will watch the first episode, but I don't I will see anything that makes me want to continue.

Good point about that chick in First Contact. Have you ever heard of Brandon Hardesty? He used to do great re-enactments from popular films. He did a hilarious re-enactment from First Contact...

I haven't seen any of the new material yet. I've enjoyed lots of forms of ST, I'll give it a chance.
The look of things, special effects, none of that mattered in the OS. Though it was the most expensive show of its day.
It was the character interactions that made the show, little plays on wooden sound stages, but it WORKED.

LOL
A lot of the time I end up enjoying the "bottle" episodes most- those that are self contained and don't move a season plot forward. ST has become too reliant on huge story arcs across seasons, which requires sharp writing and pacing. The big story arc is nice but I prefer character development- THAT'S why we love ST. They can hire big name actors and have lots of 'splosions and bewbs, but if the dialogue is garbage nothing will save it and it'll last two seasons.
Well, I really love the philosophical nature of Star Trek TNG and it's social commentary. Same with the original. I loved the serial episodic nature of DS9 though, and it's focus on character development, as well as its social commentary. It really had it all in my eyes.

While I enjoyed Voyager, I didn't like it that much. And I could sit here and pick apart all the reasons I didn't like it as much, but basically it just wasn't that good for a lot of reasons. I like the premise though.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10198892-s...l-journey-region-free-blu-ray-16-shipped-more

For anyone interested in getting some of the series on Blu Ray, there is a insane sale right now on Amazon Uk

I just bought the complete Blu Ray collection for TOS for $16 usd shipped to the USA. And the craziest deal is Enterprise the complete journey collection blu ray for only $11! I don't know if this is mistake pricing, but amazon will usually honor it. Those prices include shipping to the USA for non UK people. All the blu ray sets work world wide.

I just finished watching the Deep Space 9 finale "What You Leave Behind." It's probably been at least 15 years since I last watched it. That was my favorite series and my favorite Trek finale. It's amazing to think that was 18 years ago. Where does the time go? I really wish they would do a reunion mini-series.

Last edited:
I just finished watching the Deep Space 9 finale "What You Leave Behind." It's probably been at least 15 years since I last watched it. That was my favorite series and my favorite Trek finale. It's amazing to think that was 18 years ago. Where does the time go? I really wish they would do a reunion min-series.

The producer are making a new documentary "What we left behind" That has recently raise some big money on indigogo. Reunites the cast to discuss the show, and brings the writing team together to create a season 8.

The producer are making a new documentary "What we left behind" That has recently raise some big money on indigogo. Reunites the cast to discuss the show, and brings the writing team together to create a season 8.

So, are you telling me they are going to make a season 8 of Deep Space 9? I am assuming Indigogo is something like Netflix or Hulu? I have never heard of it.

So, are you telling me they are going to make a season 8 of Deep Space 9? I am assuming Indigogo is something like Netflix or Hulu? I have never heard of it.

Indigogo is like kickstarter or gofundme. It's just a site for raising money, but it's more for indie film projects.

I imagine the writers are "making a season 8" but it will never go into production. It would probably just be for the fans to read the scripts.

Indigogo is like kickstarter or gofundme. It's just a site for raising money, but it's more for indie film projects.

I imagine the writers are "making a season 8" but it will never go into production. It would probably just be for the fans to read the scripts.
I would actually read em

I read that Avery Brooks isn't doing it. I mean, they can't really bring Sisko back anyway. But yeah.

Well, I really love the philosophical nature of Star Trek TNG and it's social commentary. Same with the original. I loved the serial episodic nature of DS9 though, and it's focus on character development, as well as its social commentary. It really had it all in my eyes.

While I enjoyed Voyager, I didn't like it that much. And I could sit here and pick apart all the reasons I didn't like it as much, but basically it just wasn't that good for a lot of reasons. I like the premise though.

Agreed DS9 and TNG are far superior to Voyager. I even enjoyed Enterprise more than Voyager.

I hope someone interviews Rick Berman and asks him why they made the TNG films without caring about continuity, either story or character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back