STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

If you have seen STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Because there's absolutely no progression. You can't have a character do a complete 180 offscreen.
You talking about luke didn't make a transition on screen?

Zero Point: Luke doesn't want to join the cause.
180: Luke gives his life for the cause.

How did you feel when Yoda went into exile for 20 years.

When Luke does it, it's a big no no all of a sudden cause self expectations.

Luke ended up like Yoda.. well screw that monster Rian Johnson.

The only thing is Yoda and Kenobi were clearly lying in wait, waiting for the right opportunity to help Luke reinvigorate the Jedi. Luke seemed to be an old man, filled with regret, waiting to die alone...

The only thing is Yoda and Kenobi were clearly lying in wait, waiting for the right opportunity to help Luke reinvigorate the Jedi. Luke seemed to be an old man, filled with regret, waiting to die alone...

Until he wasn't and he saved the day.

They made a twist they didn't copy paste it but it's not a stretch.. Yoda was all alone there and he had no plan of training anyone, you can say Obi had a purpose but Yoda was way closer to Luke then people realize.

Until he wasn't and he saved the day.

They made a twist they didn't copy paste it but it's not a stretch.. Yoda was all alone there and he had no plan of training anyone, you can say Obi had a purpose but Yoda was way closer to Luke then people realize.

I see your point, but I think there were a couple of significant differences there. One of the elements with Yoda that really stands out to me is that before he went into exile, he outright trains Kenobi how to communicate with (or presumably as) a force ghost (mentions that he can teach him how to contact Qui Gon). This is big because even if one were to say, well Yoda had no idea Luke or Leia would end up doing anything of note and just went to the swamp to live a lonely existence, it's impossible to discount that he was still making moves. Teaching Kenobi how to do that was a clear way of saying, death isn't the end- and even though our friends have died, we can still learn from them via the force and perhaps even pass on our own knowledge once we die.

Any way I try to view it, I keep seeing it as Yoda and Kenobi looking to embrace the force and work toward the re-establishment of the Jedi and balance in the universe while it seemed as though Luke was basically rejecting the force (shut himself off from it as Rey points out) and was not looking to do anything related to that end.

Yoda and Kenobi were intently monitoring Luke's life. Kenobi outright tells Luke he's got to go to Degobah. Luke didn't know Rey from Adam when she arrived and couldn't have cared less to meet her.

You're assuredly right that it all culminates with Luke embracing his heroic role and doing the right thing. But there are a bunch of mixed messages on the way to there. Luke seems to be ultra critical of the Jedi (based on his lessons to Rey) yet he chooses to spend his twilight years at the very place that houses the sacred Jedi texts. He is also really bummed out when Yoda torches them.

The movie went out of its way to show Luke as an ambivalent character. I'm sure that the point of that was to add depth or flesh things out, but a lot of people were pissed because after so many years without Luke onscreen as a character, they did not feel that version of Luke reflected what we had to come to know about him through the OT.

You're assuredly right that it all culminates with Luke embracing his heroic role and doing the right thing. But there are a bunch of mixed messages on the way to there. Luke seems to be ultra critical of the Jedi (based on his lessons to Rey) yet he chooses to spend his twilight years at the very place that houses the sacred Jedi texts. He is also really bummed out when Yoda torches them.

The movie went out of its way to show Luke as an ambivalent character. I'm sure that the point of that was to add depth or flesh things out, but a lot of people were pissed because after so many years without Luke onscreen as a character, they did not feel that version of Luke reflected what we had to come to know about him through the OT.
I don't know how anyone thinks Luke is bad writing.

I see your point, but I think there were a couple of significant differences there. One of the elements with Yoda that really stands out to me is that before he went into exile, he outright trains Kenobi how to communicate with (or presumably as) a force ghost (mentions that he can teach him how to contact Qui Gon). This is big because even if one were to say, well Yoda had no idea Luke or Leia would end up doing anything of note and just went to the swamp to live a lonely existence, it's impossible to discount that he was still making moves. Teaching Kenobi how to do that was a clear way of saying, death isn't the end- and even though our friends have died, we can still learn from them via the force and perhaps even pass on our own knowledge once we die.

Any way I try to view it, I keep seeing it as Yoda and Kenobi looking to embrace the force and work toward the re-establishment of the Jedi and balance in the universe while it seemed as though Luke was basically rejecting the force (shut himself off from it as Rey points out) and was not looking to do anything related to that end.

Yoda and Kenobi were intently monitoring Luke's life. Kenobi outright tells Luke he's got to go to Degobah. Luke didn't know Rey from Adam when she arrived and couldn't have cared less to meet her.

The people are pissed because Luke died and they didn't get to see some bad ass scenes with him (they kinda got it but since it was an illusion to them it seems it doesn't count). Oh my god Luke isn't the 20 something naive, optimistic, full of life kid anymore.. well life started to dump a lot of things in his path and eventually he hit his breaking point when he was so desperate that for a split second he consider ending the evil before it got bigger but then in the process manage to accelerate that evil. He was ashamed of himself for that, he did wrong to his own family with that and rolls his eyes every time someone mentions the 'legend of Luke Skywaker'.

Then you have Yoda someone that has lived a very long life, way longer then what humans have and yet he did what ? failed to see the rise of the Sith, failed to see the fall of the Jedi and major evil across the Galaxy that resulted in many deaths. He said my bad, I'm a failure I'm just gonna go and stay grumpy and sad (just like Luke in TLJ).. but hey we just accepted that no big deal the little dude has been through a lot and in the end he still offered guidance and help (just like Luke in TLJ).

Could the execution of this have been better ? maybe why not, always room for improvement but to think this is just a major change that we have never seen in this universe is kinda silly. #notmyluke

Luke is critical of the Jedi in retrospect if we go by facts who wouldn't be ? But when Yoda called him on his bluff what happened he was freaking out "Master Yoda...." the old man Luke still had feelings for the Jedi for their teachings deep down he wasn't all that bitter and rotten like he was preaching. The same lightsaber he threw was the same one he picked up at the end (well manifested) meaning what he rejected before he is now embracing with the good and the bad, he was at peace.

The people are pissed because Luke died and they didn't get to see some bad ass scenes with him (they kinda got it but since it was an illusion to them it seems it doesn't count). .

I didn't think it was bad ass even as a hologram. All he did was dodge and say a few quips.

I only kinda liked the hologram in the short time I thought he was going to live and help more in the next movie. That makes the trick make a lot more sense.

I didn't think it was bad ass even as a hologram. All he did was dodge and say a few quips.

I only kinda liked the hologram in the short time I thought he was going to live and help more in the next movie. That makes the trick make a lot more sense.

That's what I'm saying as soon we find out that it was some sort of astral force projection the dislike took affect, then he died and that was it.. Rian is a hack.

I'm not. It would be horrid if true, and it's horrid he thinks so. I find some of the things he says more unbelievable than when we say stuff like "I think we watched two different films." Like, how the hell do you say any of that with a straight face?
It does feel like a movie made out of snark and spite instead of love, to me.

You talking about luke didn't make a transition on screen?

Zero Point: Luke doesn't want to join the cause.
180: Luke gives his life for the cause.
As others said, they start this redemption arc from a place that makes no sense. That's not the Luke from the OT. It's been decades, maybe some traumatic events happened that changed him. Or, he became full of himself. Ok, then SHOW how that happened. People aren't upset merely because they took a character in a different direction. It's a complete 180 with no setup.

OT Luke was NOT the kind of guy that would just take off and leave innocents, including his own family and friends, to die. Especially not when he helped create the threat.

That's what I'm saying as soon we find out that it was some sort of astral force projection the dislike took affect, then he died and that was it.. Rian is a hack.
It's not like that's the only part of the movie people have issues with

As others said, they start this redemption arc from a place that makes no sense. That's not the Luke from the OT. It's been decades, maybe some traumatic events happened that changed him. Or, he became full of himself. Ok, then SHOW how that happened. People aren't upset merely because they took a character in a different direction. It's a complete 180 with no setup.

OT Luke was NOT the kind of guy that would just take off and leave innocents, including his own family and friends, to die. Especially not when he helped create the threat.

It's almost like they didn't have a grasp on who Luke Skywalker was and ignored the guy who knew him best (Hamill).

RJ shit on the lore, continuity, tone, the plotlines from TFA, and the beloved characters from the OT. They killed off Luke and Snoke who could have played a vital role in IX, but what is left now besides some Reylo romance that appeals to the Twilight crowd? Seriously what interesting thing can they salvage from this steaming pile of garbage? Disney needs to clean house and start fresh.

'.He said my bad, I'm a failure I'm just gonna go and stay grumpy and sad (just like Luke in TLJ).. but hey we just accepted that no big deal the little dude has been through a lot and in the end he still offered guidance and help (just like Luke in TLJ).

Amazing, everything you said in these sentences is wrong.

It's not like that's the only part of the movie people have issues with

Of course not but when someone gets triggered they start to fine-tooth comb it looking for extra reasons.

Of course not but when someone gets triggered they start to fine-tooth comb it looking for extra reasons.
Triggered? Come on man some people just didn't like the movie.

I don't know how anyone thinks Luke is bad writing.
source.gif

Back