STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

If you have seen STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Ah the classic 'Whomever smelt it, dealt it, but before it was popular.' catch 22.

Not My Luke Skywalker: Mark Hamill Details Creative Differences On THE LAST JEDI

“I said to Rian: ‘Jedis don’t give up. I mean even if he had a problem he would maybe take a year to try and regroup, but if he made a mistake he would try and right that wrong.’ So right there we had a fundamental difference, but it’s not my story anymore. It’s somebody else’s story, and Rian needed me to be a certain way to make the ending effective. That’s the crux of my problem. Luke would never say that. I’m sorry. Well in this version, see I’m talking about the George Lucas Star Wars. This is the next generation of Star Wars, so I almost had to think of Luke as another character. Maybe he is Jake Skywalker.

He’s not my Luke Skywalker, but I had to do what Rian wanted me to do because it serves the story well, but listen, I still haven’t accepted it completely. But it’s only a movie. I hope people like it. I hope they don’t get upset, and I came to really believe that Rian was the exact man that they need for this job.”

This for me was much more of a problem than the twist with Kylo, that Luke basically gives up and hides out on an island waiting to die whilst letting the FO and Kylo take over the galaxy.

There was obviously the potential for Luke to have been seeking wisdom in his isolation looking back to the early Jedi and building on his own failures with the view to future force training and this really should have been followed though on.

That would actually have made the reveal of his failiure with Kylo a lot more impactful as well were as the Luke we get for much of the film honestly doesn't make it that supprising.

This is the problem with fast-tracking films; this Edwards approach as you have described it is a process that should be hammered out at the writing stage. One method how scripts get written is first you come up with an idea and then you come up with the ideal closing image, which punctuates whatever question established by the opening idea. From there, you build structure weaving back and forth from beginning to end fashioning the best peaks and valleys in broad strokes, then tailor it down with each succeeding pass.

It's criminal to take such an approach at the filming stage, despite all the times we hear of re-shoots and pick-ups shots. Those are done because they are necessary; beta-testing should never be part of the production plan. Ain't nobody got time for that backwards shit, Gareth.

I don't really agree with this, I think theres definitely something to be learnt by actually shooting material and seeing what works and what doesn't. The Lord of the Rings films for example were being constantly rewritten during the shooting and had a load of reshoots as well ending up as probably the best well regarded blockbusters so far this century.

In terms of timeline I believe Rogue One had the longest period of scripting as well, starting off at the same time as TFA but actually going into production over a year latter.

ROGUE ONE had it D3AD 51MPLE.

Everyone already knows how le plot's supposed to end up. From the beginning it's easy to parse a clear and tight timeline. It's easy to stick to the mission, plus the audience KNOWS the mission (it's a simple one), so it's also easier to add bits of character work and fan-service.

With the main trilogies, anything can happen. We don't know where it's going beforehand. With all the available options of choices (literally ANYTHING imaginable) it's hard to pick and choose a myriad collection of the most satisfying story events and hallmarks. And not just one mission, but the multidinous lives and motivations of several characters in different settings.

The enormous pressure to pull from absolutely nothing a fresh yet respectful new foray into this universe only adds to the margin of difficulty.

Particularly under tight-as-hell deadlines.

Obviously we know the end result of Rogue One but that actually gives you very little idea as to how its achieved.

I would say actually the film differs very significantly from expectation which would be that its an action packed heist film. Indeed a lot of the shifts in the story in production to me seem like they were moving away from this and towards telling the stories of the lead characters well.

That really feels like what The Last Jedi needed to me, cut out the elements of question tone, cut out the irrelevant plotting, focus in on the strongest character stories more. Again though exactly the reverse could well be true and is was actually Disney mandates that introduced a lot of that stuff taking a much more hands on hole for the saga films and letting Lucasfilm do the anthology stuff more in house.

Last edited:
And rubber assholes, tbh.

giphy.gif

There was obviously the potential for Luke to have been seeking wisdom in his isolation looking back to the early Jedi and building on his own failures with the view to future force training and this really should have been followed though on.
I'd love to hear what you would have liked to have seen. Like specific examples conveying the expressed idea.

I don't really agree with this, I think theres definitely something to be learnt by actually shooting material and seeing what works and what doesn't.
Yes, of course there is but:

giphy.gif

I would say actually the film differs very significantly from expectation which would be that its an action packed heist film. Indeed a lot of the shifts in the story in production to me seem like they were moving away from this and towards telling the stories of the lead characters well.

That really feels like what The Last Jedi needed to me, cut out the elements of question tone, cut out the irrelevant plotting, focus in on the strongest character stories more. Again though exactly the reverse could well be true and is was actually Disney mandates that introduced a lot of that stuff taking a much more hands on hole for the saga films and letting Lucasfilm do the anthology stuff more in house.
I totally agree with the bold part, and that's my point. It's an easier film than TLJ. Two different scopes.

Pretty funny its the same 2 people defending this shit movie lmfao. Give it a break, theres nothing you can do to change this shit show. Sitting at 54% rotten now.

Pretty funny its the same 2 people defending this shit movie lmfao. Give it a break, theres nothing you can do to change this shit show. Sitting at 54% rotten now.
No one's trying to change your mind, but get this:

If we were, it would only be good for you. I get there is condescension on the table, but the truth is you're not wrong for disliking the film. That's the truth. EVERYONE knows that.

But if you changed your mind, that would mean you'd be able to enjoy a film. Join Fun, buddy. Or hole up in your castle of disdain. It does nothing to change this shit show.

I need no satisfaction from this conversation, I already got it. I got it from the film, too.

Not My Luke Skywalker: Mark Hamill Details Creative Differences On THE LAST JEDI

“I said to Rian: ‘Jedis don’t give up. I mean even if he had a problem he would maybe take a year to try and regroup, but if he made a mistake he would try and right that wrong.’ So right there we had a fundamental difference, but it’s not my story anymore. It’s somebody else’s story, and Rian needed me to be a certain way to make the ending effective. That’s the crux of my problem. Luke would never say that. I’m sorry. Well in this version, see I’m talking about the George Lucas Star Wars. This is the next generation of Star Wars, so I almost had to think of Luke as another character. Maybe he is Jake Skywalker.

He’s not my Luke Skywalker, but I had to do what Rian wanted me to do because it serves the story well, but listen, I still haven’t accepted it completely. But it’s only a movie. I hope people like it. I hope they don’t get upset, and I came to really believe that Rian was the exact man that they need for this job.”
25443271_10156088520304430_910519572175545315_n.jpg
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/12/21/tom-hardys-cut-the-last-jedi-cameo-sounds-really-weird

I liked the movie, but i agree with Hamill. Luke would've taken responsibility for his failure and tried to stop kylo the way obi wan did with Anakin.

I would've made kylo more powerful than Luke, so Luke goes into exile to study the ancient jedi texts and train himself to become strong enough to stop kylo. And when Rey arrives on the island, Luke still doesn't feel strong enough, but rey convinces him that he can't wait any longer. So Luke agrees to go fight kylo, knowing full well that he'll likely die. So he gives rey a few days worth of training, and gives her the Jedi texts, so that if he dies, she can continue to study on her own and grow stronger, since she would then be the last hope to defeat kylo.

Then have an epic fight between Luke and kylo, where luke loses, but gives the resistance time to get away. At the end of the fight he becomes one with the force.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...worldwide-can-star-wars-recover/#31bbd5eb146e

Critics overwhelmingly like the movie, and fans continue putting their money down to see it. I can see why some people don't like it, but it is far from a shit show. The viewers in the theater I was in both times seemed to enjoy it and word of mouth here at work is all positive.

We got clapping in my theater. Seemed like a very satisfied audience.

I think the poor reception by SOME fans to this film is the same reason why the prequels got such a poor reception from many people: They wanted and expected one thing and got something else. They had a hard time understanding and accepting this vision that was different from their own.

I'm not saying there's nothing to criticize, but the end product was very satisfying nonetheless.

We got clapping in my theater. Seemed like a very satisfied audience.

I think the poor reception by SOME fans to this film is the same reason why the prequels got such a poor reception from many people: They wanted and expected one thing and got something else. They had a hard time understanding and accepting this vision that was different from their own.

I'm not saying there's nothing to criticize, but the end product was very satisfying nonetheless.

I didnt in mine and another poster said he heard boos.

The only time the crowd laughed was when the salamander maids got their wheel barrow fucked. I too laughed.

I liked the movie, but i agree with Hamill. Luke would've taken responsibility for his failure and tried to stop kylo the way obi wan did with Anakin.

I would've made kylo more powerful than Luke, so Luke goes into exile to study the ancient jedi texts and train himself to become strong enough to stop kylo. And when Rey arrives on the island, Luke still doesn't feel strong enough, but rey convinces him that he can't wait any longer. So Luke agrees to go fight kylo, knowing full well that he'll likely die. So he gives rey a few days worth of training, and gives her the Jedi texts, so that if he dies, she can continue to study on her own and grow stronger, since she would then be the last hope to defeat kylo.

Then have an epic fight between Luke and kylo, where luke loses, but gives the resistance time to get away. At the end of the fight he becomes one with the force.

This works, and what they shot might be similar To this and cgi changed it and is why hamil is so shook.

Luke actually shows up, deflects all the Walker fire and fights Kylo while the resistance escapes.

Unfortunately since Rey has beat Kylo twice there is no way luke looses to Kylo. I mean he beat Darth Vader yo

Back