STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

If you have seen STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
The more i think about this movie and articles praising the chances it takes, the more i dislike it and lose any hope of there being another good star wars movie. They wan't to move in a new direction yet the only characters that moved me or made me care were the old characters. And it's not just nostalgia of seeing them. They're just better characters. I have to agree with @BisexualMMA on this. All I could pick up on from this movie was a director telling me I'm stupid for liking the originals, and fuck you if you think luke is going to crush shit. I'm not at a star wars movie to get preached to about girl power or fucking animal rights. I'm here to see the continuation of a saga that's about Luke fucking Skywalker and his family. Yes the Empire the and the Rebels were a factor in the originals. But the meat of the story was about Lukes journey from moisture farmer to Jedi fucking Master. And the battle between stopping the Empire and redeeming his father. Johnson basically stole 2 and a half ours of my time to tell me im a fool for having any appreciation for the OT. To me it was pretty overt and condescending. The reason these movies are popular are because of what came before them. And to have a lack of any reverence for that in a film that still has characters from those previous films is just unforgivable to me. Dude is getting his own trilogy now, and I don't plan on watching them until theyre out for DL. The light speed into the FO ships has pretty much fucked every major space battle in every star wars cannon movie, show, or novel. Fuck this piece of shit movie.

The more i think about this movie and articles praising the chances it takes, the more i dislike it and lose any hope of there being another good star wars movie. They wan't to move in a new direction yet the only characters that moved me or made me care were the old characters. And it's not just nostalgia of seeing them. They're just better characters. I have to agree with @BisexualMMA on this. All I could pick up on from this movie was a director telling me I'm stupid for liking the originals, and fuck you if you think luke is going to crush shit. I'm not at a star wars movie to get preached to about girl power or fucking animal rights. I'm here to see the continuation of a saga that's about Luke fucking Skywalker and his family. Yes the Empire the and the Rebels were a factor in the originals. But the meat of the story was about Lukes journey from moisture farmer to Jedi fucking Master. And the battle between stopping the Empire and redeeming his father. Johnson basically stole 2 and a half ours of my time to tell me im a fool for having any appreciation for the OT. To me it was pretty overt and condescending. The reason these movies are popular are because of what came before them. And to have a lack of any reverence for that in a film that still has characters from those previous films is just unforgivable to me. Dude is getting his own trilogy now, and I don't plan on watching them until theyre out for DL. The light speed into the FO ships has pretty much fucked every major space battle in every star wars cannon movie, show, or novel. Fuck this piece of shit movie.

Certainly I'd agree with this, the original films whilst they detailed an interesting setting were very closely focused on the lead characters. I think its a mistake that the prequels and the sequels make that they get too easily caught up in wider events. The more you try to show the smaller your setting actually appears as that sense of an implied wider events and places is lost, these films make the conflict feel FAR smaller than the originals to me.

A big problem this film had though was that Abrams did a crap job creating decent characters bar perhaps Kylo(who still needed a lot of work here). The original film passed down a great collection of chaarcters that made it much easier for Empire Strikes Back to run with them and go somewhere interesting. Here I thought you had quick intros to Rey and Finn early on in Force Awakens which the film then preceeds to totally ignore, she becomes a far blander version of Luke really just reacting to the plot and mirroring his story minus any motivation, he turns into cheesey comic relief. Poe's fine enough as a background character like Wedge in the originals but has zero depth to him to support a larger role.

The choice of director after Lucas was really critical for me and Disney fudged it taking the easily option with Abrams. They got away with it pretty well with TFA itself dispite its limitations due to the goodwill of post prequel expectation but now I really think were seeing that he's simply not capable of creating a lasting franchise(his Trek is dying on its ass after 3 films), his style is too cheap, cheesey and vapid. In no way is he the equal of someone like Lucas, Speilberg or Jackson for me however much youtubers might have proclaimed him a genius.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they plan to end the "Skywalker saga" after episode 9? God I hope so.

Would it have really killed them to make some 3 awesome fanservice movies, make a shitload of money, make everyone happy, and give these iconic characters a proper sendoff?

You want to do your own original stories and try out new shit fine, but don't do it to a film series with 40 years of history and expectation.

Certainly I'd agree with this, the original films whilst they detailed an interesting setting were very closely focused on the lead characters. I think its a mistake that the prequels and the sequels make that they get too easily caught up in wider events. The more you try to show the smaller your setting actually appears as that sense of an implied wider events and places is lost, these films make the conflict feel FAR smaller than the originals to me.

A big problem this film had though was that Abrams did a crap job creating decent characters bar perhaps Kylo(who still needed a lot of work here). The original film passed down a great collection of chaarcters that made it much easier for Empire Strikes Back to run with them and go somewhere interesting. Here I thought you had quick intros to Rey and Finn early on in Force Awakens which the film then preceeds to totally ignore, she becomes a far blander version of Luke really just reacting to the plot and mirroring his story minus any motivation, he turns into cheesey comic relief. Poe's fine enough as a background character like Wedge in the originals but has zero depth to him to support a larger role.

The choice of director after Lucas was really critical for me and Disney fudged in taking the easily option with Abrams. They got away with it pretty well with TFA itself dispite its limitations due to the goodwill of post prequel expectation but now I really think were seeing that he's simply not capable of creating a lasting franchise(his Trek is dying on its ass after 3 films), his style is too cheap, cheesey and vapid. In no way is he the equal of someone like Lucas, Speilberg or Jackson for me however much youtubers might have proclaimed him a genius.

I agree with that for the most part. TFA was pretty limited in it's grand scope and from what i understand had a last minute rewrite. I guess time constraints left him with no other choice but to basically remake a new hope. But even though i think TFA was a decently entertaining movie, and a decent enough starting point. It's now apparent how it handicapped the rest of the trilogy. Kylo to me is the only character that has any depth and conflict. And yet they've totally dropped the ball in making him a credible threat to rey. Yes, we see him blindside snoke, but with no back story to snoke we really don't know how powerful he really was. He was trolling Rey pretty hard, and he opened the force link between kylo and rey. But how much of that was kylo going along with the act? Killing snoke really doesn't give me any indication of kylo truly being a threat because he's been bested by rey twice now with her having very little training. The dark side is supposed to be a faster path to becoming a powerful force user. Yet Rey with in a very short time frame has not only matched kylo, but bested him. And the focus on the larger war between the two factions while i guess good for eye candy, detracts greatly from the meat of the story and character development.

In the originals, they were pretty much at the whim of the conflict, but that conflict was in the background, though ever present in your head. These people are but a small part of a larger war, but they are also huge players in that war. most of the movies are spent developing lukes training, and han and leia falling for each other. Darth Vaders quest to destroy the rebels, while tracking down the gifted pilot that took out the death star. These are the focus of the plots, but they also have an influence on the war at large, a war that to vast to cover in one battle. But with these new movies it seems as though every battle is between the main fleets of each side. and thus limiting the war to a scale that can be seen in one scene and location. Why would he resistance and republic keep all of its fleet in once system?

It just seems this franchise is in the hands of people that don't really care or respect the source material. And i was hoping that disney would at least attempt to respect the fan base, the material and characters. This movie is has killed any interest i have in future installments. They will saturate the market with merch and rape the Ip for all its worth and then bury it in a ditch to never be seen again.

I'm seeing a lot of mental gymnastics to make Last Jedi a good movie

happy-holidays-2017-tall.jpg

I'm seeing a lot of mental gymnastics to make Last Jedi a good movie
Every site I've been to including RT and here show the majority of people enjoyed the flick with a handful of very vocal people that didn't enjoy the movie and have every intention of making sure the world (or who ever will listen) knows. That's what I see. RT is the worst of the bunch for negative reviews and it's still at 52% in favour of the flick.

I'm not here to argue that you or anyone else that disliked it shouldn't have. To each their own but comments like yours show just how dramatic the people that dislike it are.

I agree with that for the most part. TFA was pretty limited in it's grand scope and from what i understand had a last minute rewrite. I guess time constraints left him with no other choice but to basically remake a new hope. But even though i think TFA was a decently entertaining movie, and a decent enough starting point. It's now apparent how it handicapped the rest of the trilogy. Kylo to me is the only character that has any depth and conflict. And yet they've totally dropped the ball in making him a credible threat to rey. Yes, we see him blindside snoke, but with no back story to snoke we really don't know how powerful he really was. He was trolling Rey pretty hard, and he opened the force link between kylo and rey. But how much of that was kylo going along with the act? Killing snoke really doesn't give me any indication of kylo truly being a threat because he's been bested by rey twice now with her having very little training. The dark side is supposed to be a faster path to becoming a powerful force user. Yet Rey with in a very short time frame has not only matched kylo, but bested him. And the focus on the larger war between the two factions while i guess good for eye candy, detracts greatly from the meat of the story and character development.

In the originals, they were pretty much at the whim of the conflict, but that conflict was in the background, though ever present in your head. These people are but a small part of a larger war, but they are also huge players in that war. most of the movies are spent developing lukes training, and han and leia falling for each other. Darth Vaders quest to destroy the rebels, while tracking down the gifted pilot that took out the death star. These are the focus of the plots, but they also have an influence on the war at large, a war that to vast to cover in one battle. But with these new movies it seems as though every battle is between the main fleets of each side. and thus limiting the war to a scale that can be seen in one scene and location. Why would he resistance and republic keep all of its fleet in once system?

It just seems this franchise is in the hands of people that don't really care or respect the source material. And i was hoping that disney would at least attempt to respect the fan base, the material and characters. This movie is has killed any interest i have in future installments. They will saturate the market with merch and rape the Ip for all its worth and then bury it in a ditch to never be seen again.

Yeah that tends to me my view, TFA wasn't a poor film and lacked as much of the clunkiness that hampered the prequels but to me that's pretty much all it was, something made as a quick diversion rather than something that setup the following films well as it should have.

Introducing Kylo then having him belittled like that was again just cheap film making with little regard to what came afterwards, look at Vader in ANH who's also defeated but retains infinitely more threat to him.

As you say the setting just seemed much smaller, more simplified and rather non sensical. The New Republic is the dominant force in the galaxy but yet theres a group called the resistance that's far smaller and is fighting the First Order? the New Republic and all its fleet is then swept away in one scene.

Again I think Rogue One got much closer to the originals in its setting, that felt like you were dealing with a vast complex situation and we were only seeing the pieces of it we needed to in order to tell a more personal story. Hopefully the Han Solo film follows this idea even if its rather lighter in style as I think it actually has much more of a long term future.

Last edited:
Every site I've been to including RT and here show the majority of people enjoyed the flick with a handful of very vocal people that didn't enjoy the movie and have every intention of making sure the world (or who ever will listen) knows. That's what I see. RT is the worst of the bunch for negative reviews and it's still at 52% in favour of the flick.

I'm not here to argue that you or anyone else that disliked it shouldn't have. To each their own but comments like yours show just how dramatic the people that dislike it are.

You've been to sites, looked at the numbers, and accepted it a fact. I challenge you to look at the audience reviews at RT while its at 52% or imdb and read the user reviews at 7.7.

You may believe the numbers and your motive is clear; you liked this movie, so any narrative to support your enjoyment of a shit movie maybe crucial to you because that may indicate that you could have poor taste.

Lets say i play devils advocate and just look at the scores. How do i explain the countless reviews on sites that are 50% and below (youll find its primarily 30% and below)? Do i say theyre fake? Yes, Ill say that bots are all grading this low, making individual harsh reviews, some that are novels, skewing the otherwise perfect score. Thats right, the insinuation is that it is easier to fake typed out, elaborate reviews than falsifying the scores.

Apparently there is a petition going around to not make TLJ canon.

What are the possibilities of this going through?

I wouldnt mind that TBH. And have J.J redo ep 8

You've been to sites, looked at the numbers, and accepted it a fact. I challenge you to look at the audience reviews at RT while its at 52% or imdb and read the user reviews at 7.7.

You may believe the numbers and your motive is clear; you liked this movie, so any narrative to support your enjoyment of a shit movie maybe crucial to you because that may indicate that you could have poor taste.

Lets say i play devils advocate and just look at the scores. How do i explain the countless reviews on sites that are 50% and below (youll find its primarily 30% and below)? Do i say theyre fake? Yes, Ill say that bots are all grading this low, making individual harsh reviews, some that are novels, skewing the otherwise perfect score. Thats right, the insinuation is that it is easier to fake typed out, elaborate reviews than falsifying the scores.

Honestly its tough to know for sure, I mean we've had plenty of films in the past that surely alt right people could have tried to sabotage there user scores yet they didn't do this badly.

Personally my feeling is that this film including Luke ment that it was playing with fire in terms of peoples opinions. You piss people off dealing with that story in a questionable fashion and I think theres a strong chance a lot of viewers who don't normally bother to review films online sign up in order to show general displeasure.

He definitely worked that stuff into Episode 7, but it was really nothing compared to what I saw in Episode 8. As for what Abrams does in Episode 9...he has his work cut out for him. It's like Johnson was deliberately trying to sabotage the next movie, that is, if the writer and director actually like Star Wars.

He really did pushed that Feminazi thing with that Admiral with purple hair, its too obvious purple hair hahaha and tazing Poe?

What the fuck are all these assumptions? GTFO here. I accept it as fact because not accepting it as fact means I'm making an interpretation based on my own beliefs such as you are doing right now. The overall numbers are an amalgamation of all the reviews broken down by percentages. How is this open to interpretation at all?

Your second paragraph is fucking child's play. Its arrogant, obnoxious and bull shit. This is the arrogance I speak of from haters. Good, I'm glad you think the movie is shit and you think I have poor taste but your comments are the epitome of poor taste and I take them with a grain of salt even though they aren't worth that much.

I'm not playing devils advocate.

Sorry for meeting your bullshit vitriol with my bullshit vitriol but maybe it'll help you to understand the moronic crap you just posted in reply to me.

Yeah that tends to me my view, TFA wasn't a poor film and lacked as much of the clunkiness that hampered the prequels but to me that's pretty much all it was, something made as a quick diversion rather than something that setup the following films well as it should have.

Introducing Kylo then having him belittled like that was again just cheap film making with little regard to what came afterwards, look at Vader in ANH who's also defeated but retains infinitely more threat to him.

As you say the setting just seemed much smaller, more simplified and rather non sensical. The New Republic is the dominant force in the galaxy but yet theres a group called the resistance that's far smaller and is fighting the First Order? the New Republic and all its fleet is then swept away in one scene.

Again I think Rogue One got much closer to the originals in its setting, that felt like you were dealing with a vast complexity situation and we were only seeing the pieces of it we needed to in order to tell a more personal story.

Agreed. Though I didn't like Rogue One at first. It's growing on me. And it's finaly act while not perfect, was better than all of the last jedi. It's setting is what it got right for me. I felt like the galaxy was lived in. Things were dirty, gritty, beat up. Things felt as if they've been used for a long time. The characters while shallow seemed battle worn, like they've been fighting for a long time before we see them in the movie. Everything in these new saga films seems to be to bright and shiny. Nothing feels like the galaxy is recovering from a decades long conflict thats cost Billions of lives, and un-measurable treasure to fight and win. It's like yeah the republic is back and everything is just fine. Then the first order just sneaks up on them. If the first order was a remnant of the emire, wouldn't the republic have built up a fleet to match them? The whole galaxy learning from the past would have rose up to the building threat of the first order. The story is clunky from the start with no back story. How did the first order grow so large in a republic that was built in the aftermath of huge galactic coupe? So i understand the complaints of the force awakens choices. But at least Abrams didn't overtly dick slap me in the face with a condescending message of his own intellectual superiority.

And all these mary-sue hater accusations to anyone who didn't buy into this train wreck of a movie are groundless and missing the point. I don't care if Rey becomes neo from the matrix. But you better damn well make her somebody i care about and want to root for. I don't care about her becasuse shes just an OP character there to offset the only character i care about in the movie. Shes a plot device devoid of any personality traits or flaws to overcome. She just matches force user more experienced than herself to move the plot forward. There are no consequences for her facing more seasoned force users in combat. She met snoke face to face and came away practically unharmed. luke faces vader before hes ready and loses his hand and almost loses his life. He faces the emperor and if not for vader would have died from the force lightning. Nope not Rey though. God forbid you make her vulnerable to appease the girl power crowd. Kylo has been wasted potential since TFA. He's should have trashed Rey in that battle, wounded or not. Kylo is the one i want to see most in these movies but he gets pushed to the side to follow rey and finn. Adam Driver is wasted on these films even though dude has a weird body lol. And the OT is overrated crowd are morons period.

Back