STARFIELD discussion

So is NG+ worth rushing through the story? I keep reading how good it is, but I prefer taking my time with the main missions in Bethesda games.
I’m not there yet but my understanding is if you rush the game you probably wouldn’t even notice what ng+ is. Could be wrong though.

So is NG+ worth rushing through the story? I keep reading how good it is, but I prefer taking my time with the main missions in Bethesda games.
Good timing, I was just going to post about how you shouldn't rush your first playthrough. I had heard streamers saying to rush it too, but I like to do as much on a first run anyways, as I'm never too fond of playing a game again, let alone right away. Souls games were the first since Diablo way back.

I just finished mine and started NG+. I'm glad I did so much. I highly recommend doing every mission/faction quest you can. I won't spoil anything, but you'll understand why I feel this way.

You get to keep your skills, even unspent ones, but credits, cargo, outposts and ships, all gone. NG+ has an intriguing lore reason for existing, so it makes sense to start this way. I love this game!

I will miss my Defiance ship though, we've been through some battles!
CF-vs-UC.jpg

I wish we could build a settlement like this, even allowing us to morph the terrain
Defiance-back.jpg

I never get tired of landings and takeoffs
Defiance-Underbelly.jpg

There's def a meme caption in this
Andreja-angry.jpg

Defiance-Top.jpg
bernard-cribbins-salute.gif

Many would disagree. It’s a new Ip with flaws, I’m not going to argue that but I hated fallout 4 and I’m having a ton of fun with this game.
and many would disagree with you so who cares about that. Are you trying to discredit my opinion because some people like this game? Your argument is that you have people on your side? Lets stick to specifics not general statements that people just agree with you. In rebuttal, many would agree this game is trash. This is sherdog not reddit.

Fallout 4 looks better and it was released in 2014. Im not a graphics snob, my fav game is mount&blade. But this games just so ugly and like 50% menu navigation. We have favourites for equips in skyrim and fallout 4 to avoid menus. Ugghhh menus non stop the game's not fun and its not intuitive at all.

Last edited:
and many any would disagree with you so who cares about that. Are you trying to discredit my opinion because some people like this game? Your argument is that you have people on your side? Lets stick to specifics not general statements that people just agree with you. In rebuttal, many would agree this game is trash. This is sherdog not reddit.

Fallout 4 looks better and it was released in 2014. Im not a graphics snob, my fav game is mount&blade. But this games just so ugly and like 50% menu navigation. We have favourites for equips in skyrim and fallout 4 to avoid menus. Ugghhh menus non stop the game's not fun and its not intuitive at all.
I love Fallout 4. You find it looks better? In what way? I find this game looks beautiful at times, while still showing the age of the engine. I think it's their best looking game by quite a lot, though I prefer the art style of the FO games.

The NPC's are pretty hideous for the most part here too. I still can't get over that Astral Loung and all the ugly people in it. If any place should have some sex appeal it's there. That's a choice from the devs. Bethesda are well known for ugly NPC's, but we could always blame it on their engine. This was clearly intentional.

There's a favourites equip bar here too. You choose your favs from the inventory, then press either the D pad on a controller, or Q on PC. You can have 5 items in each direction.

upload_2023-9-23_7-40-15.png

You can also stay out of the menus more often by interacting with the blue destination icon, especially in space. You can hover over it and travel that way, so long as you have a mission selected. Going into scanner mode gives you key information.

It's unreal how unintuitive it all is though, the UI needs a massive overhaul. Who greenlit this in QA? Like @HereticBD said earlier, they give you an option to hard exit the menus (hold tab on pc for ex) because they knew it was a mess lol.

So found a major bug.

I googled it and came across this post, this guy had the exact same issue.

I thought I was still very early in the game at lvl 30, but the game is over now? I went into unity and the credits rolled? The fuck?

I thought I was still very early in the game at lvl 30, but the game is over now? I went into unity and the credits rolled? The fuck?
Did you do a lot of faction quests?

I'm level 45 and put about 130 hours into the game before doing the unity thing, a good 40 hours was ship/outpost building, mainly the former.

As you saw after the credits rolled, or you skipped past them, the game is far from over.

I started a new game and as soon as I went to constellation hq (you skip the mining thing this time) I told the group about the artifacts and the starborn. I immediately set off to gather more artifacts.

Did you do a lot of faction quests?

I'm level 45 and put about 130 hours into the game before doing the unity thing, a good 40 hours was ship/outpost building, mainly the former.

As you saw after the credits rolled, or you skipped past them, the game is far from over.

I started a new game and as soon as I went to constellation hq (you skip the mining thing this time) I told the group about the artifacts and the starborn. I immediately set off to gather more artifacts.

Does the story continue on? I stopped playing after I saw the credits started rolling. If I continue, the main questline will be the exact same? What's the point if that's the case?

Does the story continue on? I stopped playing after I saw the credits started rolling. If I continue, the main questline will be the exact same? What's the point if that's the case?
It didn't start exactly the same for me. I have no idea how different it is, as I didn't look at guides for spoilers, but here's what I do know, with one slight spoiler.

When I started NG+ I was in a Starborn ship over New Atlantis. When I landed and went to the lodge, your first objective, I had the option to tell Sarah and the gang all about the artifacts, skipping the main quest. Because of what I shared, Vlad gave me the location to all the artifacts. Thev are in different places than they were in the first run.

What else changes, I don't know. I grabbed one artifact and quit.

I have a save before the Unity, so we can always go back and continue on. If you're only level 30, I'm sure you missed a ton of missions. Before playing any further, I thing I'm going to wait on some DLC. 130 hours is enough lol. I don't think I can stomach hiking to another temple either, fuck I hated that.

I did see this mod, which spoiled something about each run being different.

The mod allows you to choose conditions for each new playthrough, as apparently they are all different in some form or another. To what degree, I didn't investigate.

Nearly uninstalled, decided to give it one more go and actually got on a nice string of quests that resulted in a new ship/armor set. Still have my issues with it but nice to be reminded there's an addictive Bethesda experience underneath the bullshit

I was looking through all the screenshots I took, and I forgot that I ran into a Va'ruun battleship. I tired to take it out, but it wrecked me, along with the other ships around it.

We really need some DLC on them!
Va'ruun.jpg

Anyone go to Homestead and do the mission for the doc? People were really rude to me there, like I was some monster.
Homestead.jpg

Homestead-2.jpg
giphy.gif

I still cannot believe I had saved up 400k gold, and thousands upon thousands of pounds of resources saved up.. only for the game to end

Restarted fo4 last night. On my first playthrough I quit when I got forced to build out an outpost.

Game is instantly better than starfield. Better narrative hook. Better initial story beats (Starfield: you're a random rock crusher who happened to touch an artifact first?). And everything is tied to the structure of the game better. Same menus as starfield but they're made immersive via the pipboy.

And it has effective pop up text telling you how to do things.

Restarted fo4 last night. On my first playthrough I quit when I got forced to build out an outpost.

Game is instantly better than starfield. Better narrative hook. Better initial story beats (Starfield: you're a random rock crusher who happened to touch an artifact first?). And everything is tied to the structure of the game better. Same menus as starfield but they're made immersive via the pipboy.

And it has effective pop up text telling you how to do things.
I love Fallout 4, put about 2k hours into it, largely through building.

It has a way better start to it too. Starfield is def their weakest, in terms of opening hours. Coming out of the sewers in Oblivion, escaping death/the walk from Riverwood to Whiterun in Skyrim, stepping out of the Vault in FO3, watching the bombs fall/seeing your wife get murdered in FO4... all pretty epic

I love the ancient civ trope with the artifacts, but Starfield's introduction to it all is really underwhelming. I don't know how they messed that up.

Thankfully the mystery gets better as you uncover things. SF's main campaign, overall, is their strongest IMO, and the CF faction questline is right up there with their best.

FO4's main campaign is always compromised by all the shit we get distracted with. How could I care about finding my son when I'm lugging dumbells, overencumbered for miles, just to use as settlement resources lol

I like that in this main narrative there's no faux urgency, so spending time scaring settlers in a monster costume, or working in a fish factory, doest compromise it.

Btw, there's big update coming to Fallout 4 for PC, as a next gen re-release for Xbox (hopefully PS5 too) is also coming. I'm looking forward to playing it again.

I love Fallout 4, put about 2k hours into it, largely through building.

It has a way better start to it too. Starfield is def their weakest, in terms of opening hours. Coming out of the sewers in Oblivion, escaping death/the walk from Riverwood to Whiterun in Skyrim, stepping out of the Vault in FO3, watching the bombs fall/seeing your wife get murdered in FO4... all pretty epic

I love the ancient civ trope with the artifacts, but Starfield's introduction to it all is really underwhelming. I don't know how they messed that up.

Thankfully the mystery gets better as you uncover things. SF's main campaign, overall, is their strongest IMO, and the CF faction questline is right up there with their best.

FO4's main campaign is always compromised by all the shit we get distracted with. How could I care about finding my son when I'm lugging dumbells, overencumbered for miles, just to use as settlement resources lol

I like that in this main narrative there's no faux urgency, so spending time scaring settlers in a monster costume, or working in a fish factory, doest compromise it.

Btw, there's big update coming to Fallout 4 for PC, as a next gen re-release for Xbox (hopefully PS5 too) is also coming. I'm looking forward to playing it again.
Andreja and Sarah both got mad at me when I destroyed a pirate ship! Lol

I recently got an EM gun to disable ship engines without destroying them. I killed the crew, got the contraband and comandeered the ship. But after undocking the engines are still disabled so I can't actually move. So I re-docked to my Razorleaf as I'm still in range. I then decide to destroy the ship since I can't fly it to the Den (I have contraband and needed to go there) and that's when Andreja and Sarah were livid at me. Andreja is like "I can't believe you killed an innocent person!", but it was a pirate ship and they were all dead before the ship was destroyed lol.

Andreja and Sarah both got mad at me when I destroyed a pirate ship! Lol

I recently got an EM gun to disable ship engines without destroying them. I killed the crew, got the contraband and comandeered the ship. But after undocking the engines are still disabled so I can't actually move. So I re-docked to my Razorleaf as I'm still in range. I then decide to destroy the ship since I can't fly it to the Den (I have contraband and needed to go there) and that's when Andreja and Sarah were livid at me. Andreja is like "I can't believe you killed an innocent person!", but it was a pirate ship and they were all dead before the ship was destroyed lol.
I think once you sit in the chair, it becomes a good guy ship. Could just be a bugthesda moment lol.
The main companions are so annoying good Samaritans sometimes. They should have given us at least one evil deed-friendly main companion. There are a few out there though, and Vasco gives no fucks.

I really want a mod that gives us an airlock we can toss companions out of. Sam, Cora and Sarah have it coming :D

You should have been able to repair that ship, so long as you have ship parts. I've found derelict ships randomly that I could and couldn't repair too.

All right this is damn cool, a mod that let's you seamlessly travel between planets in a star system

Like I posted on the video, I'd love to be able to set a destination and walk around my ship to use workbenches, or whatever. A little speed distortions would add to the immersion as well.

I was reading a post about refuling and how it was initially part of the game that was cut (wise move). However, I'd like to see a hardcore mode where you need to build refuling stations, as an option, to reach the outer systems.

They need to add better reasons for going out there though. Anyone get into outpost building heavily? I imagine there are rare resources in the far systems?

I think once you sit in the chair, it becomes a good guy ship. Could just be a bugthesda moment lol.
The main companions are so annoying good Samaritans sometimes. They should have given us at least one evil deed-friendly main companion. There are a few out there though, and Vasco gives no fucks.

I really want a mod that gives us an airlock we can toss companions out of. Sam, Cora and Sarah have it coming :D

You should have been able to repair that ship, so long as you have ship parts. I've found derelict ships randomly that I could and couldn't repair too.

Yeah it was weird, I had ship parts so I should've been able to repair it. Very strange.

I finally have the Shieldbreaker. It's dominant, but I'd like to upgrade it. Just a matter of getting the funds.

Story and gameplay have kind of lost me. Characters are pleasant, but bland. I have Sam Coes story to do, picked up the sniper chick and I'm at a frozen planet looking for the other artifact. I also completed the Ryujin quest line.

I'm level 22. Max stealth and persuasion, level 3 security and piloting, 1 in ballistics, targeting, wellness, manipulation, boost jump...

Thinking about maxing geology, zoology, everything to do with scanning...

Back