• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

STARFIELD discussion

I really disliked TLOU2. I had some fun with the leaks before it launched, but stayed out of discussions until I actually played it. I had my two cents which were not positive. No one shat on my opinion.

I love this little tight knit community we have here in the arcade forum. It's generally a positive/constructive place, even though we all have wildly varied backgrounds/opinions.

No one likes a troll @Zazen, you can do better
Starfield-UC-Vanguard-1.jpg

That ship is a beast. I thought about buying it a few times, but I kept spending money doing changes to my main one and other monstrosities that never went anywhere.

The best part about buying ships is they'll likely have some coherent layout from landing bay to cockpit. It's really hard to make a ship without creating some maze. You need certain modules from hopetech to ensure pathways and doors are where you want them, but that limits creativity.

I liked TLOU2 a lot but that's for another thread. I think it's okay to have disagreements on games, I would never get upset if someone dislikes something that I enjoy. I don't think I'm trolling but if I was I don't understand why people would even respond to me in that case. There's an ignore function that people can use if they dislike what I bring up about the game. Anyway, I guess I'll be on my way out then. Hope people enjoy the game. Just disappointed that this wasn't the space exploration game I thought it would be. Todd Howard really needs to stop hyping stuff up and just straight up lying to people.

I liked TLOU2 a lot but that's for another thread. I think it's okay to have disagreements on games, I would never get upset if someone dislikes something that I enjoy. I don't think I'm trolling but if I was I don't understand why people would even respond to me in that case. There's an ignore function that people can use if they dislike what I bring up about the game. Anyway, I guess I'll be on my way out then. Hope people enjoy the game. Just disappointed that this wasn't the space exploration game I thought it would be. Todd Howard really needs to stop hyping stuff up and just straight up lying to people.

you may not think you are trolling but you are.

as I said your point was made long ago and you aren’t bringing anything new to the discussion. You also hold the distinction of being the only poster in the thread who’s been shitting on this game without playing it. I could be wrong but because you are the only one coming back and continuously trolling you are the only memorable one for me.

you are usually a solid poster so there is no point of ignoring you (or any one else for that matter... it's not that serious ever.). Just disappointed that you’d troll in this manner. The game is not trash. It’s at least an above average game.

lastly your problem was believing the hype spewed from Todd Howard. At best it was going to be revolutionary but i never bought into that hype. At worst it was going to flop and be a shitshow like the launch of Cyberpunk and it wasn't. It was solid. But it's all it is for me. Solid. Not great not bad. It's literally Skyrim in space. But if you released Skyrim now it'd be an average game at best. For me the game feels... dated the way it was built. meh need to play more to know for sure.

Last edited:
I don’t care if you’re bothered. It’s my opinion that this game had not delivered on what was originally promised. Someone said it best when this game was described as being big as an ocean but shallow as a puddle. I’ve watched a couple of hours of exploration from various streamers and the ones I watched didn’t care for it either like Asmojgold. Some of you guys are worse than religion apologists when it comes to this game. The Last of Us 2 was getting bashed for its supposed wokeness. Completely unfair comparison as my criticism is at least related to gameplay and not culture war bs. You’re free to put me on ignore if you don’t like dissenting opinions.
If you get any opinion from asmongold you are a sheep. He literally makes reaction videos to reaction videos.

I just bought the Narwhal class C ship for 455k. Supposd to be the best ship in the game.

I use the Narwhal too, but there is no true "best" ship in the game, it's probably the best at being jack of all trade if you make some upgrades to it like shield and weapons. I tried to upgrade it so it would hold more than 4000 cargo, I just couldn't do it unless I sacrifice a lot of maneuverability so I had to settle for around 3750 cargo space. Silent Runner is probably the best cargo ship and I am sure there are other ship with very small cargo space that are better for combat. The problem is the home ship mechanics that make switching ship a pain in the ass so it's hard to have the best of all types and just hop in for the best for the job like you do with weapons.

I don't know why people who don't like the game, really want other people not to like the game as well.

Console wars. Which annoys me as a PC gamer as I have to wade through bs to get to some unbiased information.

As a PC gamer it's actually very easy. You just go to Steam and read the reviews. No one on Steam gives a shit unless your PC port is garbage. The game is averaging a 75 on Steam which is a good game.

The guns feel like bb guns. New atlantis is boring as fuck. The npcs are even more lifeless than skyrim. The food items are like just pointless things. In all bethesda games i never bother with food cos its not necessary and i guess they really invested their time in food in starfield. Whooooo this tea will give me 2% exp gain for 15 mins like who gives a fuck.

The space combat is really blah and easy. I target this ship, get the lock feature, i think its gonna like ready a missile. Nope! It does some weird zoom in auto aim following thing.

The starting of the game is not exciting like a prison escape.

They really should have not done fallout 76 and starfield.

TES6 or FO5 or let Obsidian make New Vegas.

Before the release i was playing fallout 4 and skyrim to help pass time and now im back to playing those 2.

Fallout 4 you can build your settlements with named npcs and populate the commonwealth. Running into your supply iine pack mules as you wander around. Build cool trading communities. My Sanctuary is not military defense at all. Its like a lil resort. Working on building a cool townhouse strip along the water called "London Town"

Last edited:
The guns feel like bb guns. New atlantis is boring as fuck. The npcs are even more lifeless than skyrim. The food items are like just pointless things. In all bethesda games i never bother with food cos its not necessary and i guess they really invested their time in food in starfield. Whooooo this tea will give me 2% exp gain for 15 mins like who gives a fuck.

The space combat is really blah and easy. I target this ship, get the lock feature, i think its gonna like ready a missile. Nope! It does some weird zoom in auto aim following thing.

The starting of the game is not exciting like a prison escape.

They really should have not done fallout 76 and starfield.

TES6 or 5 or let Obsidian make New Vegas.

Before the release i was playing fallout 4 and skyrim to help pass time and now im back to playing those 2.

Fallout 4 you can build your settlements with named npcs and populate the commonwealth. Running into your supply iine pack mules as you wander around. Build cool trading communities. My Sanctuary is not military defense at all. Its like a lil resort. Working on building a cool townhouse strip along the water called "London Town"
I loved the settlement building in FO4. I was really looking forward to outpost building in SF.

In FO4, I built an epic stronghold/beach resort on spectacle Island and another settlement/stronghold at the drive in. I think the latter was the only really large/level area.

Are you playing FO4 on PC? If you like building, you really need to get Sim Settlements 2 mod. It's as good as any DLC in any game and and really makes it integral.

Part 3 was just released. I was going to wait for the big update coming out, likely to coincide with the show, but I don't know if I can wait.

I put a bunch of skills into outpost building in SF, but it was just a waste. The ship building is super addictive, really let's you get creative, but outposts felt like an after thought, or was gutted.

They have a big update coming out, hopefully it includes far more options for outposts and refines ship building.

Hit level 27 last night. I'm now at the point where I'm landing on planets in level 50-60 systems and farming rare drops lol.

But I've gone to hundreds of planets, explored a lot of places and the game is just empty.

Can't argue that. Much like Mass Effect 1

Not that I think they should make the planet exploration linear like the did in ME2 and 3, but they could have stood to condense a lot of the design into much fewer planets.

I loved the settlement building in FO4. I was really looking forward to outpost building in SF.

In FO4, I built an epic stronghold/beach resort on spectacle Island and another settlement/stronghold at the drive in. I think the latter was the only really large/level area.

Are you playing FO4 on PC? If you like building, you really need to get Sim Settlements 2 mod. It's as good as any DLC in any game and and really makes it integral.

Part 3 was just released. I was going to wait for the big update coming out, likely to coincide with the show, but I don't know if I can wait.

I put a bunch of skills into outpost building in SF, but it was just a waste. The ship building is super addictive, really let's you get creative, but outposts felt like an after thought, or was gutted.

They have a big update coming out, hopefully it includes far more options for outposts and refines ship building.

Yes on pc and on xbox series s. I haven't tried sim settlements yet but i think its due time. I like doing all the building but let's see what the npcs can do :)

Yes on pc and on xbox series s. I haven't tried sim settlements yet but i think its due time. I like doing all the building but let's see what the npcs can do :)
You can check out their wiki. NPC's are far more robust than in vanilla.
https://wiki.simsettlements2.com/gameplay/settlers

It's freaking crazy how expansive the mod is. From story, to automation, there's so much more purpose behind the settlement aystem.

I barely touched the follow up, so there's plenty for me to discover too.

Bethesda should have hired this guy to chair the development of Outposts in SF. Regardless, I expect him to do great things with it once mod tools are out.

You can check out their wiki. NPC's are far more robust than in vanilla.
https://wiki.simsettlements2.com/gameplay/settlers

It's freaking crazy how expansive the mod is. From story, to automation, there's so much more purpose behind the settlement aystem.

I barely touched the follow up, so there's plenty for me to discover too.

Bethesda should have hired this guy to chair the development of Outposts in SF. Regardless, I expect him to do great things with it once mod tools are out.
Good to hear!

The random seed generation procedural stuff doesn't bother me in minecraft. But just having a random location to build on seems so pointless to me. I'm a bit crushed over starfield.

Bannerlord took forever to release but it really is a beefed up mount & blade warband.

I feel like we all deserve a new TES or FO title considering all the Skyrim remakes.

Last edited:

Not that I think they should make the planet exploration linear like the did in ME2 and 3, but they could have stood to condense a lot of the design into much fewer planets.
100% agree

I blame that more on the "crafting" craze, and I think that over time, people will appreciate the endless mining/crafting as just a bonus on top of a very deep campaign structure. It's funny how people negatively compare this to "No Man's Sky", considering that's pretty much all NMS is. A bajillion empty planets, that has you running around and endlessly mining for resources to craft shit. Not shitting on NMS, as it has it's place, and I enjoy it for what it is, but the constant comparisons to this game, are ridiculous. It's basically the entirety of NMS. It's a mere feature in this stupidly huge game.

It kills me at how so-called "professional" critics, pretend not to see the vast differences in between the two games. Like, yeah, it's pretty neat that NMS has this huge world to bomb around in, with very few loading screens, but you know what it doesn't have? Everything else. There is no voice work. There are no deep narrative driven missions. The graphics are ten years behind(nerfed due to restrictions of such a world). The combat is a joke. But hey, you can take off from one planet and go to another. That apparently trumps everything else that this game does, that NMS couldn't possibly pull off.

I just don't get how people were expecting the same approach, from a game that's not just a simple sandbox to fuck around in. There are so many more moving parts in a game like this, that expecting it be all seamless, is ridiculous.

/rant

I think this is one game that will become better over time with DLCs and mods

Got a C class reactor for my Razorleaf, all of a sudden I'm shredding the enemy ships like never before.

qBKgsS9.png

Good to hear!

The random seed generation procedural stuff doesn't bother me in minecraft. But just having a random location to build on seems so pointless to me. I'm a bit crushed over starfield.

Bannerlord took forever to release bit it really is a beefed up mount & blade warband.

I feel like we all deserve a new TES or FO title considering all the Skyrim remakes.

A new title is likely far off, but M$ does have a lot of OG Fallout devs across inXile and Obsidian. ES VI will take years, I really don't want to wait 10 more for a new Fallout. Besides, Obsidian did it best with New Vegas, and inXile's Wasteland 3 showed us how great an isometric remake of FO1/2 could be.

BGS announced that next gen update for FO4 in 2023 last year, so that's something at least. It will have some bug fixes, graphical updates, and performance mode for consoles. I imagine it will come out to help hype up the tv series which comes in 2024. This is the last update we got, thanks to a fan.
Screenshot 2023-09-29 002549.png

We do have Fallout London coming and Sim Settlements 2 is a big overhaul/story DLC offering.

I blame that more on the "crafting" craze, and I think that over time, people will appreciate the endless mining/crafting as just a bonus on top of a very deep campaign structure. It's funny how people negatively compare this to "No Man's Sky", considering that's pretty much all NMS is. A bajillion empty planets, that has you running around and endlessly mining for resources to craft shit. Not shitting on NMS, as it has it's place, and I enjoy it for what it is, but the constant comparisons to this game, are ridiculous. It's basically the entirety of NMS. It's a mere feature in this stupidly huge game.

It kills me at how so-called "professional" critics, pretend not to see the vast differences in between the two games. Like, yeah, it's pretty neat that NMS has this huge world to bomb around in, with very few loading screens, but you know what it doesn't have? Everything else. There is no voice work. There are no deep narrative driven missions. The graphics are ten years behind(nerfed due to restrictions of such a world). The combat is a joke. But hey, you can take off from one planet and go to another. That apparently trumps everything else that this game does, that NMS couldn't possibly pull off.

I just don't get how people were expecting the same approach, from a game that's not just a simple sandbox to fuck around in. There are so many more moving parts in a game like this, that expecting it be all seamless, is ridiculous.

/rant
I don't get it either.

I did expect SF to at least be on par with NMS's current outpost building options, with NPC's filling various roles like in FO4's settlements. With so much space, and each planet being their own instance, we should be able to build our own Cydonia-like colony. I'm sure Bethesda will flesh this out, as they designed this game to be a platform they can build upon for years to come. Modders will certainly have a field day.

When you compare just planetary exploration between games, they are both hollow, NMS far more so. Landing seamlessly onto the planet, and being able to walk around its entirety would be nice, but it wouldn't make it better. At the very least with SF, the XP and resources you get can go towards skills and aspects that improve other facets of the game. The combat is also better and you could stumble upon a voiced quest, even an interesting one. I've put about 50 hours into NMS, there's nothing interesting in that game.

With a solid foundation in place, and far more employees/resources in the company, it will be easy for BGS to add DLC/updates to improve on things NMS likely can't.
I think this is one game that will become better over time with DLCs and mods
What they have already offers tons of meaty content. I can't wait to see what they and modders do with it.

Got a C class reactor for my Razorleaf, all of a sudden I'm shredding the enemy ships like never before.

qBKgsS9.png

unlimited-power.gif

<45>

I started the Crimson Fleet quest, met with the commander on that huge SysDef ship, decide to save right after I undocked. Well the fleet put me in my place, got destroyed in about 10 seconds lol.

Back