STARFIELD discussion

So now I’m hearing you can only have up to 4 tiles at a time and then are forced to delete them. Just going to post this video, looks like we have more footage to be added in the future .

So now I’m hearing you can only have up to 4 tiles at a time and then are forced to delete them. Just going to post this video, looks like we have more footage to be added in the future .

I heard 5 but it wasn’t confirmed just speculated since your landing zone disappears.

What does that mean? Sorry, didn't know anything about this game until today when I was checking out new xbox game releases. Trying to find a game before my series x chokes on dust.

I know the game has multiple tiles per planet and you'll need to fly or transport to each tile or you'll hit an invisible wall because of the size. Does the game let you build bases? Does your base disappear once you travel to a 5th tile? Or do you only have 4 tiles to build bases on, but are still allowed to explore all other planets/tiles?

I know the game has multiple tiles per planet and you'll need to fly or transport to each tile or you'll hit an invisible wall because of the size. Does the game let you build bases? Does your base disappear once you travel to a 5th tile? Or do you only have 4 tiles to build bases on, but are still allowed to explore all other planets/tiles?

The last video I saw these things weren't clear. People are assuming that if you build a base that the tile becomes permanent at that point. I think there's a maximum amount of bases you can build though. Also the 5 tiles seems to be per planet.

I'm actually hoping for more Fall out in space than Skyrim. Was never to big a fan of Skyrim honestly. Always enjoyed exploring in their Fallout games though.
I don’t mean setting or anything. Skyrim just got its claws in me and didn’t let me go for months. I was totally immersed in everything.

I heard 5 but it wasn’t confirmed just speculated since your landing zone disappears.
What does that mean, 4 or 5 tiles at a time?

Last edited:
What does that mean, 4 or 5 tiles are a time?

I'm only guessing here, but "tiles" have been described as "maps", so perhaps it's pointing to limitations on how many planets you can have in operation at the same time, with all the crafting n' shit. Again, I'm just spitballing here, but it sounds like you'll be be limited to messing around with four or five planets, before the game says "no more, because the engine can't handle it".

What does that mean, 4 or 5 tiles are a time?

I'm no expert but supposedly when you land your ship you can only walk a certain distance before it prompts you to get back to the ship and choose a new location to land at. That area counts as 1 tile and it's saved to the planet. You can save another 3 or 4 tiles and then you need to delete one before you proceed to another. It seems like a silly system to me when full exploration was promised. I guess someone could argue that you still could explore everything but I don't think that's what people wanted or expected.

I'm only guessing here, but "tiles" have been described as "maps", so perhaps it's pointing to limitations on how many planets you can have in operation at the same time, with all the crafting n' shit. Again, I'm just spitballing here, but it sounds like you'll be be limited to messing around with four or five planets, before the game says "no more, because the engine can't handle it".

Oh is that how it works? I thought it was several locations per planet but man that's way worse if true....

Oh is that how it works? I thought it was several locations per planet but man that's way worse if true....

I have no idea what you're talking about, TBH. I'm just pissing in the wind based on very limited information. I'd say it's best to just wait and see. I don't see anything being out of the ordinary. Seems like a bunch of mumbo jumbo that's being misinterpreted. I can't see it having issues with general gameplay functionality, like it arbitrarily locking you out of...something.

Given that it will have a heavy crafting element, within a focused single player campaign, there will probably be limitations on how much freedom you will have in building a base. It's not gonna be wide open like Minecraft or NMS or anything, in that regard. The engine won't be able to handle all the variables in such a design, while also trying to maintain all the rest. It'll likely be similar to "Fallout 4", where you have size limits on your bases. And seriously, unless you're an architect or very, VERY creative, it likely won't be an issue for 99.9% of players.

All in all, it sounds like you're gonna have 4 or 5 planets to go nuts on, with the "limitation" being the edge of the map. Given that very few bothered with seriously building around more than one or two settlements in F4, I don't think having a few planets to fuck around with, is gonna be a big issue.

I have no idea what you're talking about, TBH. I'm just pissing in the wind based on very limited information. I'd say it's best to just wait and see. I don't see anything being out of the ordinary. Seems like a bunch of mumbo jumbo that's being misinterpreted. I can't see it having issues with general gameplay functionality, like it arbitrarily locking you out of...something.

Given that it will have a heavy crafting element, within a focused single player campaign, there will probably be limitations on how much freedom you will have in building a base. It's not gonna be wide open like Minecraft or NMS or anything, in that regard. The engine won't be able to handle all the variables in such a design, while also trying to maintain all the rest. It'll likely be similar to "Fallout 4", where you have size limits on your bases. And seriously, unless you're an architect or very, VERY creative, it likely won't be an issue for 99.9% of players.

All in all, it sounds like you're gonna have 4 or 5 planets to go nuts on, with the "limitation" being the edge of the map. Given that very few bothered with seriously building around more than one or two settlements in F4, I don't think having a few planets to fuck around with, is gonna be a big issue.

One of the biggest criticisms Bethesda gets from gamers is the amount of content that doesn't exist that 99% of the players would never even do of it did.

So far as I know, the controversy is that once you land on a planet, there's only so far you can go before you have to get back to your ship and go to a different spot for it to "generate". I.E., once you land there's a specific amount of space created, that you can't pass until you get in the ship and fly to a different location.

Supposedly someone with an early copy was streaming it, and just took off running in a random direction. Didnt do anything, scan anything, build anything, etc. Just ran to see if he could run across an entire planet. Now there's criticism that you can't actually run across an entire planet. I guess?

It reminds me of people who complain that Fallout 4 didn't have a bigger map than Fallout 3. Because obviously everybody explored every single location and did every single quest in Fallout 3 and their first thought was "that's not a lot of content".

I swear. Like, of all companies to criticize for lack of content, Bethesda is the one they choose? Very Chode-like.

Last edited:
Imagine if people took this level of hyper-criticism to Baldurs Gate 3.

"You can literally just stack 1,000 flaming around and no one notices. Worst game ever."

"You can only destroy certain, specifically crafted destructible terrain. So you can shoot one beam and destroy it to have someone fall, but every other beam is made of adamantium LOL. I give it 1.5"

"You can only set certain things on fire. So you can cast web, or grease and set it on fire. But if I can't cast fireball on roots or vines? Because vines aren't flammable? LOL. The devs are liars"

"So my eldritch blast can destroy a brick wall, but a human being just gets up again? Lol. Way to physics, bro"

Last edited:
I was gonna wait but got the premium edition lol

Pre-loading!

Meh, if it flops idc, it’s on game pass, my homie got the premium so ima see how it looks for him

A space game without real planets. Great.
My hype is dead.

SPOILER:

Planets are basically just backdrops like a skybox in a shooter, you can fly through them lol, when landing on planets you just get a quadratic tile procedurally generated and it *always* has some (randomly generated) point of interest. So there is no exploration. Everywhere you land there will be the same artificial feeling POI's generated for you.
Space travel from planet to planet is not possible, the whole game revolves around fast travelling. There's also no landing or taking off. The planets do not really act within a solar system like in other space games, they dont orbit anything, they dont have a real simulated day-night cycle.
Wanna exit your ship? Enjoy the loading screen.

https://is2.4chan.org/v/1693442608637201.webm

Last edited:
We're at the 4chan stage of concern trolling.

I have to say that I'm appalled that a game with 1000 planetary bodies features mostly procedurally generated terrain. It's not a simulation based slice of the galaxy either, how could they do this to us?

I can't wait to jump into this. I'm so excited to get lost in all their little side stories and lore, but I'm really interested in the main narrative too.

Cool thing I noticed in the live action trailer at 46 seconds (time stamped below) is what looks like the Ricaht Structure. Do we go to earth in this shot as we've found some connection to Atlantis? The main city in Starfield is New Atlantis after all.

8-The-Richat-Structure-Mauritania1.jpg

The Richat Structure, or the "eye of the Sahara" has been speculated to be the location of Atlantis. As I was going to comment on the video, there I see the guy from Bright Insight making the connection too. He has soem excellent videos on the theory.

I'm still very much enjoying diablo, but being able to play over the long weekend may be too much of a temptation...

A space game without real planets. Great.
My hype is dead.

SPOILER:

Planets are basically just backdrops like a skybox in a shooter, you can fly through them lol, when landing on planets you just get a quadratic tile procedurally generated and it *always* has some (randomly generated) point of interest. So there is no exploration. Everywhere you land there will be the same artificial feeling POI's generated for you.
Space travel from planet to planet is not possible, the whole game revolves around fast travelling. There's also no landing or taking off. The planets do not really act within a solar system like in other space games, they dont orbit anything, they dont have a real simulated day-night cycle.
Wanna exit your ship? Enjoy the loading screen.

https://is2.4chan.org/v/1693442608637201.webm

I remember just a few days ago the complaint was that procedrually generated planets wouldnt have enough interesting things to do. Now we see complaints that theres always something interesting when you land.

Back